06 sti vs. 07 speed3 - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

This is a discussion on 06 sti vs. 07 speed3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The MS3 isn't magic. It's a "big engine, little car" situation where the turbo wasn't drastically undersized by the manufacturer. ...

The MS3 isn't magic. It's a "big engine, little car" situation where the turbo wasn't drastically undersized by the manufacturer. Of course it's quick, and has the potential for real speed with few mods.

My 89 Mirage turbo had a 1.6 liter with a tiny TD04-9b turbo, no IC, and 9 psi of boost for a whopping 135hp. I switched that out with a TD05-14b from a DSM, 450 injectors, and a stock DSM sidemount IC. Then the boost was set to 16 psi. The results? Wheelspin from a 60 roll. It sure was fun

The car went on to get a 2.0 DSM swap and a 20g turbo, trapping over 120 mph for the new owner. Mazda has done nothing new - they were just the first to bring it back.

Hyundai's new turbo coupe should be interesting too -- all the horsepower potential plus RWD traction, all for $20k.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by HxcJohnny View Post
    all the bickering and pissing matches here remind me of when I was a part of the honda community. Honda-tech was the worst for that kind of thing
    This is nothing new in the WRX vs. the World forum. Been going on for years.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by HxcJohnny View Post
    all the bickering and pissing matches here remind me of when I was a part of the honda community. Honda-tech was the worst for that kind of thing
    This is true but i'd say its just a little bit more mature here and more of a discussion then a yelling match, plus if we get out of hand, mods close it down pretty quick. I might argue with elmer over this but i'd invite him over for some hookah netime haha
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    This is true but i'd say its just a little bit more mature here and more of a discussion then a yelling match, plus if we get out of hand, mods close it down pretty quick. I might argue with elmer over this but i'd invite him over for some hookah netime haha

haha, it definately is a little more mature here, I can agree with that

I raced with a Speed 3 on the highway, and I must say that is a fierce opponent. We started at 30 and we both were almost equally matched. The Speed 3 was totally stock and my WRX pulls 260 WHP on the dyno. I won with a very small margin.
    Gimme more boost!!!
    2004 WRX San Remo Red

It's been raining pretty much all day out here in PA. Today we took my coworker's MS3 to lunch and I can definitely say that car is definitely no slouch in the rain. I forgot how nice those cars sound inside the cockpit.

Went to a place called The Fireside Grill in Fort Washington and parked next to a red Cobalt SS (super not turbo). Next to him was a silver/gray R32 with deisel pipes coming out the back and in the opposite row was a White '06 or '07 STI. Not to shabby a collection of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by luisWRX View Post
    I raced with a Speed 3 on the highway, and I must say that is a fierce opponent. We started at 30 and we both were almost equally matched. The Speed 3 was totally stock and my WRX pulls 260 WHP on the dyno. I won with a very small margin.
    impressive!
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

hooka FTW!

I just don't like the 3. That's all. It'll whoop me on the highway and he doesn't have to spend as much to make it fast.

I just heart my subaru and the fact that it is made out of legos.

I Support ClubWRX
    I enjoyed the MS/3 when my boss let me drive it. I didn't want to beat on his car too hard, so I didn't go past 5k RPMs, but it was pretty fun ride. I don't like when the reverse is to the left of 1st gear, though (I'm just used to reverse being to the right of 4th/6th) - it'd take me a while to adjust. Definitely can sneak up on someone who doesn't really know anything about them
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I bet his spent less on the mazdaspeed to get to 270whp then he spent on his 04 wrx to get to 230whp.
    you would be correct.

I dynoed 250whp stock, 270 with a cai and tbe, no tune. Thats on stock boost-- with a boost controller I could run 19psi and still hold a completely safe AFR which would definitely put be in the 300whp range. Cobb just released their MS3 accessport last Tues. Direct Injection is actually a hinderance for the MS3 as it is not yet fully understood the best way to tune it, but its getting there.

Interesting Video:YouTube - Mazdaspeed 3 AEM Intake Install Full
    Last edited by ElBartoRex; 05-16-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    I enjoyed the MS/3 when my boss let me drive it. I didn't want to beat on his car too hard, so I didn't go past 5k RPMs, but it was pretty fun ride. I don't like when the reverse is to the left of 1st gear, though (I'm just used to reverse being to the right of 4th/6th) - it'd take me a while to adjust. Definitely can sneak up on someone who doesn't really know anything about them
    trust me you dont want to go much higher then 5k. the motor totally drops off well before redline. does pull hard from 3 to 5k though

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    trust me you dont want to go much higher then 5k. the motor totally drops off well before redline. does pull hard from 3 to 5k though
    a bellmouth downpipe will take care of that, but not all of it. You reach the limit of that tiny turbo at about 5700. Nothing a bolt on GT35 won't fix.
    www.jscspeed.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBartoRex View Post
    a bellmouth downpipe will take care of that, but not all of it. You reach the limit of that tiny turbo at about 5700. Nothing a bolt on GT35 won't fix.
    Are their any mods like a downpipe that mazda offers and the car will still be under warranty. My brotherinlaw wants to add power but doesnt want to void the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ElBartoRex View Post
    that's damn impressive.
    Rogan: Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly.
    Mods List Build Thread
    Bugeye Mafia #196 High Mileage Club
    Fully Built EJ257 HYBRID & JDM STI 6-Speed

Miniature Awesomness

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    Are their any mods like a downpipe that mazda offers and the car will still be under warranty. My brotherinlaw wants to add power but doesnt want to void the warranty.
    Its not much different than the WRX, some dealerships are cool with mods some will kick you out if you have a boost gauge.

Like I tell all of my customers, you can't really be serious about modding and expect to keep you warranty. Just save your stock parts and suck it up if you have to take it in.

Mazdaspeed makes a cold air intake and a catback exhaust that will (supposedly) not void if installed at a dealer.
    www.jscspeed.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567