06 sti vs. 07 speed3 - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 sti vs. 07 speed3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by fusionchicken speed3 lapped Laguna Seca quicker than the s2000 in one of the mag tests from a ...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
    speed3 lapped Laguna Seca quicker than the s2000 in one of the mag tests from a while back....that little car can handle.

and if they make the ms3 rwd or awd i'd be driving one right now. i love the 5 door and the interior is kick-ass for the price of the car.
    the interior is definately first rate. It blows my sti interior out of the water. not crazy about the clutch though, or the feel of the gear box.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    It hasnt beaten the wrx, until the newest wrx came out. in the head to head comparison the wrx wins. check out the edmunds inside line. they are still identical in performance, and the speed3 sucks in the snow, unlike the wrx. speed3 is cheaper cause it's fwd
    The edmunds inside line I saw had the MS3 beating out the WRX.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

WRX
    Pros:
    • better looking
    • more aftermarket
    • better for RallyX/snow/mud/gravel, etc
    • cheaper to mod
    • insane accelleration from a stop

Cons:
    • bad gas mileage
    • expensive
    • transmission
    • stock tires

MS3
    Pros:
    • cheaper
    • better top end
    • interior

Cons:
    • looks
    • torque steer
    • FWD (sucks in the mud)
    • expensive to mod
    • not as many aftermarket options

What did I miss? To me the choice is clear (not the case for may people though)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    It hasnt beaten the wrx, until the newest wrx came out. in the head to head comparison the wrx wins. check out the edmunds inside line. they are still identical in performance, and the speed3 sucks in the snow, unlike the wrx. speed3 is cheaper cause it's fwd
    who cares about snow, i live in southern california, idk what snow is. And thats exactly my point, everytime a wrx can't outperform another car, its always the mud or snow argument. Except in this case you can't say it outhandles it. Comparisons are comparisons and whatever they like at the end, as far as speed the ms3 is faster, it traps higher, it has better accellaration after your rolling. Its about the same in the 1/4 mile ONLY because of the wrx's awd. Even the srt4 had better track times then the wrx did, when one of the major magazines compared the rsx, srt4, and wrx on a track, wrx had the slowest lap times.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    WRX
    Pros:
    • better looking
    • more aftermarket
    • better for RallyX/snow/mud/gravel, etc
    • cheaper to mod
    • insane accelleration from a stop

Cons:
    • bad gas mileage
    • expensive
    • transmission
    • stock tires

MS3
    Pros:
    • cheaper
    • better top end
    • interior

Cons:
    • looks
    • torque steer
    • FWD (sucks in the mud)
    • expensive to mod
    • not as many aftermarket options

What did I miss? To me the choice is clear (not the case for may people though)
    Live Wires
    Down 33 horsepower and 45 pound-feet of torque to the Mazdaspeed, the 3140-pound WRX TR still managed to smoke its more powerful and equally heavy rival from 0 to 60 mph, posting a sports-car time of 5.6 seconds, nearly a half second quicker than the 'Speed3's 6.0. Equipped with an all-wheel-drive system that uses a viscous-coupling locking center differential to distribute power 50:50, the WRX was simply able to put down a superior launch, the result of all four wheels responding to a violent 5000-rpm clutch drop. Launching the Mazda, on the other hand, required a low-rpm drop of around 1000 rpm and, because the torque-management system cuts torque under full throttle in first and second gears, short-shifting at 6000 to achieve the best time. With the torque-management system off-duty in the upper gears, the Mazdaspeed was able to put down full power past 60 mph, catching up to the Subie at the quarter mile with a time of 14.3 at 99.4 mph. Once the 'Speed3 gets going, look out--Mazda claims the hot hatch can hit 155 mph, although we weren't able to verify this. While a smidge quicker at 14.2 at 97.4 mph in the quarter, the WRX just can't keep up as speeds reach triple digits, falling 0.5 second behind the Mazda at 100 mph.
    Okay lets see, so the wrx outlaunches it due to a 5k clutch drop and awd but still can't win a race in the quarter mile so ms3 is obviously FASTER.

The WRX also trailed the Mazdaspeed in every handling test we conducted, evidence that the Subie's softer suspenders, while providing a more supple on-road ride, were too spongy to match the taut dampers and springs on the 3, which still delivered a ride pleasant enough for everyday commuting. Through the slalom, the WRX posted a speed of 63.4 mph, well behind the Mazda's 68.6, a pace that betters that of the BMW 330i, Infiniti G35, and Jaguar XK. Around our figure-eight course, a telling test of handling and braking, the WRX clocked a time of 27.1 sec at 0.64 g average, again no match for the 3's 26.6-second at 0.69g average. Circumnavigating the skidpad, the Mazda held on for 0.86 g of lateral grip--better than that of a Lexus IS 350--once more outgunning the Subie's stickiness of 0.80 g. And although the WRX wears snazzy red-painted calipers that use three times the number of pistons, it was the Mazdaspeed that offered superior brake feel and performance, halting from 60 to 0 mph in 111 feet--only a foot on top that of a Z06--a substantial 12 feet shorter than the Subaru. In defense of the WRX, grippier summer rubber, rather than the mud-and-snow tires it wore, would make a perceptible difference in these tests, as would a stiffer suspension.
    okay so the ms3 outhandles the wrx, the ms3 has better braking in stock form.

The real beauty of the Mazdaspeed is that it shines just as brilliantly on the road as it does at the track. From steering feel and gearbox precision to body rigidity and cabin comfort, the 'Speed3 is a notch above the WRX, which comes across dated and a bit cheap in comparison. Close a door on the Subie, and the trim pieces shudder against one another, a far cry from the Mazda's, which shut with a quiet solidity. Throw in features unavailable in the Subaru--a thumping Bose stereo, a nav system, Xenon headlamps, and curtain airbags, to name a few--and the Mazda quickly proves it's the most dazzling of the two. Better yet, for relatively similar money--less if you don't need directions or ear-piercing audio--the Mazdaspeed3 delivers that dazzle at a relative bargain. It's the most electric of this duo. Plug it in and play!
    okay so how was this an easy choice elmer?? wait your right, it is an easy choice ms3>wrx. Subaru has just fallen behind and keeps going in the WRONG direction.

heres the article

2007 MazdaSpeed3 vs. 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sedan & Wagon Comparison - Motor Trend

go to page 2 for everythign i quoted, page 3 has the results of ms3 1st place and wrx 2nd place. Lets please not hang on subaru's nuts cause we own one. Also the wrx is more moddable argument, well that same engine has only been around since 2001??? give ms3 time and the market will catch up.

I will never consider a MS3 as long as I continue to find driving off-road fun. Also, as long as the Subaru aftermarket is so deep and the mazda aftermarket is so limited, its a no-brainer.

Couldn't catch me dead in one of those ugly ass wagons. And whats with those hideous wheels. almost as ugly as vageye wheels...

Current: 07 Mazdaspeed3 270whp/293wtq
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    I bet his spent less on the mazdaspeed to get to 270whp then he spent on his 04 wrx to get to 230whp.

A few serious questions here:

Wasn't this thread started because of a race between a STI and MS3, not a WRX and a MS3?

Isn't comparing the WRX to the MS3 like comparing apples to oranges? I mean yeah, they cost around the same but other than that aren't they very different.

Instead of MS3 > WRX or WRX > MS3, wouldn't WRX ≠ MS3 be the most accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    I bet his spent less on the mazdaspeed to get to 270whp then he spent on his 04 wrx to get to 230whp.
    04 WRX MSRP ~$25k + $150 DP + $90 cable =$25240 @ 240ish whp
    08 MS3 GT MSRP ~$24k needs intake, TBE, and some sort of tune to hit 270whp. prob>1240

actually I don't care. I don't like the MS3 and I don't think anything will make me like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasmonky3 View Post

Wasn't this thread started because of a race between a STI and MS3, not a WRX and a MS3?

Isn't comparing the WRX to the MS3 like comparing apples to oranges? I mean yeah, they cost around the same but other than that aren't they very different.

comparing the STi to the MS3 is more like apples to oranges.
    The STi rapes the MS3 in everything but top speed and obviously price.

i'm sorry, I didn't know a wrx with a downpipe and a tune makes 240whp. Oh wait, it doesn't

i'm sorry, I didn't know a wrx with a downpipe and a tune makes 240whp. Oh wait, it doesn't
    mine did..........

Edit* only made 280WHP with the VF30, TMIC, EBCS, Walbro, pinks, etc
    Last edited by efmd3; 05-13-2008 at 02:04 PM.

they cost the same, they are aimed at the same crowd, if they weren't meant to be compared, majoar magazines wouldn't be comparing them.

they cost the same, they are aimed at the same crowd, if they weren't meant to be compared, majoar magazines wouldn't be comparing them.
    I definitely get that but I mean the AWD vs FWD is a legitimate argument for those of us who live in areas that have crappy weather 5-7 months out of the year.

For someone like you who lives in Cali, that argument holds no water but for someone like me who lives in Philly and is up and down the northeast a lot, AWD vs FWD is going to be huge in determining what cars I look at. I've put almost 15,000 miles on my car since October and having awd was huge. Once you start factoring in things like personal aesthetic preference (which mine is admittedly questionable) then the choice becomes glaringly clear. And that has nothing to do with any "perceived" faults of the MS3 but rather the strengths of the WRX.

Basically what I'm saying is that while it can't be argued that the MS3 is quicker, faster, breaks better, and handles better than the WRX, that's not going to make it a better overall choice for everyone.

That being said, the weather is breaking in PA and this kid I work with has brought out his MS3 and I have nothing bad to say about that car. Nothing.
    Last edited by Grasmonky3; 05-13-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Banned

right on the money. The thing is the speed3 and 6 are mazdas high performance cars, and the sti is subarus. thats why I started this thread after I raced my brotherinlaw. the wrx is still very close in performance to the speed3, but with only about 12000 miles on the speed3, it's already going back to the dealer for a second time. il take a wrx any day

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.