303whp STi vs. 335xi - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

This is a discussion on 303whp STi vs. 335xi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SHO_Guy Unless the police department has upgraded since the last time I checked, most police departments still ...

Quote Originally Posted by SHO_Guy View Post
    Unless the police department has upgraded since the last time I checked, most police departments still use the Bell Ranger don't they? Those only do about 140MPH. The only thing is, you better have a REALLY long staight line, otherwise the chopper gets to cut corners....

Those new bimmer's are freaking sweet. With small upgrades I hear they are beasts, but it is very easy to over do it and blow up your motor.
    thats right... and yeah i heard that too
    Quote Originally Posted by mikercp View Post
    Yeah my friend works for BMW sales in Socal, and he said alot of co workers and new owners get them reflashed/chipped and it really opens them up.

As much as +60HP gains from a flash from stock. Not even going turbo back yet.
    60 bhp or whp ?
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by msgsti217 View Post
    im pretty sure my dads stock porsche carrera 4s can keep up and beat my modded STI
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflowmfg View Post
    Porsche's are no exception either!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    Balanced handling and smooth powerband and huge grip FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by msgsti217 View Post
    the handling =
    See the link in my signature to my last 300 HP AWD car.

As a guy with a lot of experience behind the wheel of a 911 and an STI, they compare very close in a lot of ways. However, there are some very distinct things about each car.
    Power: The 911 engine has a perfectly smooth power curve from about 2500 RPM. The power just builds and builds and builds to red line (7400 RPM). The 911 was much easier to launch and shift too. But the STI is much easier to mod to get more power. With an exhaust/intake/ECU upgrade in my 911, I could only get about 20-25 HP versus the 70+ HP I'll get in my STI with the same changes. And that would cost $3500 minimum in the 911 versus $2000 in the STI (or $1000 for me since I got things used).
    Handling: The Porsche carves corners. Point it where you want to go and mash the gas. But rule #1 with a 911: "Never lift." or you'll find the @$$ of your car rotating very quickly in front of you. I could do power slides at over 100 in my 911 very easily. Freakin sweet. If the back end starts to break loose, you just have to remember to mash the throttle more to let the engine keep you pointed where you want to go. The STI has much more raw handling and it's much harder to feel the limits of the car. The 911 approached its limits very smoothly.

My STI is going to be around for a while because I don't have the money to afford a 911 right now (2 kids and a 5 bedroom house among other things). But a used 911 turbo will be very high up on my list of cars to purchase once I have a few dollars again.

Based on what people who have ridden in both cars with me have said, they think the cars are pretty much equal in performance.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post

As a guy with a lot of experience behind the wheel of a 911 and an STI, they compare very close in a lot of ways. However, there are some very distinct things about each car.
    Power: The 911 engine has a perfectly smooth power curve from about 2500 RPM. The power just builds and builds and builds to red line (7400 RPM). The 911 was much easier to launch and shift too. But the STI is much easier to mod to get more power. With an exhaust/intake/ECU upgrade in my 911, I could only get about 20-25 HP versus the 70+ HP I'll get in my STI with the same changes. And that would cost $3500 minimum in the 911 versus $2000 in the STI (or $1000 for me since I got things used).
    Handling: The Porsche carves corners. Point it where you want to go and mash the gas. But rule #1 with a 911: "Never lift." or you'll find the @$$ of your car rotating very quickly in front of you. I could do power slides at over 100 in my 911 very easily. Freakin sweet. If the back end starts to break loose, you just have to remember to mash the throttle more to let the engine keep you pointed where you want to go. The STI has much more raw handling and it's much harder to feel the limits of the car. The 911 approached its limits very smoothly.

My STI is going to be around for a while because I don't have the money to afford a 911 right now (2 kids and a 5 bedroom house among other things). But a used 911 turbo will be very high up on my list of cars to purchase once I have a few dollars again.

Based on what people who have ridden in both cars with me have said, they think the cars are pretty much equal in performance.
    i agree
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

that's sayin a lot for subaru
    '02 PSM WRX stg 2
    '67 camaro (my dad's, but hopefully one day i can delete these parenthesis)

bugeye mafia #161

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by budahrocket View Post
    ya tha STI aint nuttin ta **** wit
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

ya tha STI aint nuttin ta **** wit
    thats right... u tell em
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

when I had flashed Stage 1 with my AP...I went to the track. A guy was running his brand new 335ci 6spd. I had the launch on him obviously as he had some wheel spin, but as I trapped with the win, he was getting closer...

I ran a 13.1@104 and he ran a 13.4@ 108

If we had another quarter mile, I'da been smoked. Had it been the XI, he probably would have beat me.

They are some DAMN nice cars though. I'm yet to peak at the engine of one of them...or hear one with a nice exhaust...dreams
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Mikie 104mph stage 1

are you protune stageII now?
    Last edited by SonicWagon; 01-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Your friends are pretty understanding.

If one of my friends hit 140 while I was in the car I would be certain to punch them in the throat once we got out.
    I wasn't talking about anyone in the car with me, I was talking about racing my friends VR6. I would never drive my car above 100ish with friends in it.
    Last edited by CaRboNaDo; 01-27-2008 at 03:30 PM.
    06 WRX TR CGM {stock} Hawke-Eye #28
    Raysfield- "We don't get much snow, and I don't drive aggressively in the rain, so kind of irrelevant."
    .:Truth:.

Wow. That's some really nice things to know.
    I absolutely love Porsches.
    My favorites have gotta be Porsches and WRX's but that's wild that performance wise, they're about the same.
    What about one of those TechArt 996 twin turbos or something from RUF?
    I think those own everything IMO. 600hp? damn...that's all I can say.
    GT3 and turbo are amazing to
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

Mikie 104mph stage 1

are you protune stageII now?
    Yeah man...

I ran a 12.73 @ 107 with Cobb OTS Stage 2...but I haven't run at all since going Protuned

I went up 30whp and 50wtq over the OTS map as well as it smoothed the powerband out a lot, so I imagine I'll run a lot faster come this Spring
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by budahrocket View Post
    Yes it is. My 911 cost me about $100k with luxury tax and everything. I think sticker was $85.5. My STI was $35k? new ($21k used when I got it) and has comparable performance. The only consolation now is that Porsche made so many cars during the dot com boom that you can pick up plenty of low to mid mileage 911 from 99-01 for $30k.

Quote Originally Posted by snowflowmfg View Post
    Wow. That's some really nice things to know.
    I absolutely love Porsches.
    My favorites have gotta be Porsches and WRX's but that's wild that performance wise, they're about the same.
    What about one of those TechArt 996 twin turbos or something from RUF?
    I think those own everything IMO. 600hp? damn...that's all I can say.
    GT3 and turbo are amazing to
    Techart is an aftermarket company just like Cobb or TurboXS, whereas RUF is actually a manufacturer. There are many companies in the same class as Techart in terms of quality. When a Porsche leaves the RUF factory it is no longer a Porsche. It actually gets a new RUF VIN. In the Subaru world, I would probably equate RUF to Cobb in that RUF offers the best parts you can buy for a Porsche, but also the most expensive. RUF is famous for understating their cars' abilities as well.

To really answer your question, a RUF 911 Turbo would kill any car on this board on a track (no flame wars please, I know some people have very fast cars). They are just in another world. Seamless power delivery, handling, traction, everything. A Techart or similar car from 9ff, Gemballa, etc is a fast car but since those companies are just tuning shops, their cars could be all over the map in terms of HP. I know plenty of guys with 600-700 HP 911 Turbos and those are disgustingly fast cars capable of sub 4 second 0-60 times and 1/4 miles in the 10-11 second range. And they still have the renowned Porsche handling which is second to none. Razor sharp is an understatement. Porsche reliability is also incredible. Their cars last forever.

On a track with lots of twisties, my STI (when stock) would keep up with my 911. I don't think either car would have an advantage. On a track with long straights, the 911 would kill the STI because over 100 and up to about 140-145, the Porsche still accelerates very strongly, whereas the STI starts to die off at about 120-125.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

^^^That was a DAMN good analysis. Good post

/clapclapclap

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    ^^^That was a DAMN good analysis. Good post

/clapclapclap
    + 1
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.