Subaru WRX Forum banner

303whp STi vs. 335xi

13K views 103 replies 18 participants last post by  rr1911 
#1 ·
Well i gotta say i was impressed by the BMW 335xi
Im not good at telling stories... i was in 6th gear at 60mph in my stage 2 protuned sti and im not sure what gear he was in but we stayed dead even until 140mph when i let off the gas

incase anyone cares there were 4 people in my car and the trunk was full
he was the only one in his bimmer

i thought i coulda took him with no problem thats why i didnt down shift :sadwave:

so i dont know if this is a loss or what but i wasnt tryin to race he just kept up so i kept going

#3 ·
well he didnt pass me and he was an older guy about 60ish
but you might be right

im not into street racing

#6 ·
yeah i looked at the speedo and thought to myself how am i going to explain this to the cop (if i did get pulled over) and my job and i was like screw it time to let off the gas

#10 ·
yeah my uncle's are cool... they are into that kinda stuff
:rotfl:
grandpa just made himself a story to tell everyone at the nursing home
:rotfl:lol

#17 ·
yeah i know... i didnt think he would be able to stay with me but i was wrong

#16 ·
303 whp STI vs 300 whp 335xi

*ok the stock 335i dynos at 300, the xi would have more drivetrain loss but makes up for it with traction.

And you didnt downshift? 4th and no passengers would of beat him as the STI is like 400 lbs lighter.

#19 ·
303 whp STI vs 300 whp 335xi

*ok the stock 335i dynos at 300, the xi would have more drivetrain loss but makes up for it with traction.

And you didnt downshift? 4th and no passengers would of been a better fight.
i think if i had droped to 5th or even 4th i would took him with no problem:confused:

#51 ·
#53 ·
wishing the 335 were just a bit less expensive

The outcome seems normal, respectable, and fun.

While a stage 2 STI is very nice, I believe a 335xi with a tune would be even nicer.

#55 ·
The outcome seems normal, respectable, and fun.

While a stage 2 STI is very nice, I believe a 335xi with a tune would be even nicer.
well with the new STi being around 40k... its in about the same price range as the 335

#58 ·
big diffrence from the 325 to the 335 tho man

#65 ·
Bimmers have great high end accelleration :) I used to have a `92 525i and my friends Golf VR6 would toast me all the time off the line or a slow roll. Until we hit the straightaway on a bridge one time from around 80 and I started to pull as we got above 100 and kept doing so up to 140 when we had to slow from the curve.

I love teh Germans.

#66 ·
whats the redline on them things ?

#67 ·
Your friends are pretty understanding.

If one of my friends hit 140 while I was in the car I would be certain to punch them in the throat once we got out.

#68 ·
yeah i know.. i usually dont do stuff like that... probably the first and last time i would do it with other people in the car

#74 · (Edited)
whups that comparo was a 325I not what i searched for...

Quattro was most definetly not designed for getting out of snowbanks.....

GroupB rally FTW

#75 · (Edited)
You were at a major disadvantage due to the extra 3 people in your car. Figuring they weight 150 average, plus throw in another 100 for the stuff in the trunk, that cuts down weight/power ratio pretty badly:
Unloaded (just driver): 3250 / 303 = 10.73 lb/HP
Loaded (3 passengers plus luggage): 3800 / 303 = 12.54 lb/HP

You effectively reduced your your HP by ~14%, plus you didn't downshift. I'd say you ran very respectably versus the BMW.

#85 ·
i think it is less than that

#88 ·
that was a movie tho

#89 ·
Unless the police department has upgraded since the last time I checked, most police departments still use the Bell Ranger don't they? Those only do about 140MPH. The only thing is, you better have a REALLY long staight line, otherwise the chopper gets to cut corners....

Those new bimmer's are freaking sweet. With small upgrades I hear they are beasts, but it is very easy to over do it and blow up your motor.

#91 ·
thats right... and yeah i heard that too
Yeah my friend works for BMW sales in Socal, and he said alot of co workers and new owners get them reflashed/chipped and it really opens them up.

As much as +60HP gains from a flash from stock. Not even going turbo back yet.
60 bhp or whp ?

#97 ·
when I had flashed Stage 1 with my AP...I went to the track. A guy was running his brand new 335ci 6spd. I had the launch on him obviously as he had some wheel spin, but as I trapped with the win, he was getting closer...

I ran a 13.1@104 and he ran a 13.4@ 108:eek:

If we had another quarter mile, I'da been smoked. Had it been the XI, he probably would have beat me.:sadwave:

They are some DAMN nice cars though. I'm yet to peak at the engine of one of them...or hear one with a nice exhaust...dreams:thumbup:

#101 ·
Yeah man... :wiggles:

I ran a 12.73 @ 107 with Cobb OTS Stage 2...but I haven't run at all since going Protuned:sadwave:

I went up 30whp and 50wtq over the OTS map as well as it smoothed the powerband out a lot, so I imagine I'll run a lot faster come this Spring:thumbup:

#104 ·
+ 1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.