02 wrx vs 92 mr2 turbo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 wrx vs 92 mr2 turbo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok i have a 02 wrx (mods shown in sig) and my friend has a 92 mr2 turbo with a ...

02 wrx vs 92 mr2 turbo

ok i have a 02 wrx (mods shown in sig) and my friend has a 92 mr2 turbo with a 3" downpipe.
    well he wanted to race me, really bad....so i was like yeah whatever...so we went out to one of the rarely traveled backroads near his house and decided to do three roles...one 20-90, one 40-90 and one 55-90...
    in the first one, 20-90, i of course beat him like he wasnt moving, i pulled 2.5 cars before second, and then another 2 by the time i was getting out of 2 and into third.
    the second race was just as bad, i pulled another about 4 cars before the race was finished...
    in the third and final race, 55-90, i again jumped on him, and pulled another about 3 cars before we finished....
    he wasnt happy, he was like, dude i should have at least kept up in the higher speed pulls...but he didnt...

so that was my kill, but i do have two questions for some of you more experienced people....what kind of power do you think he is making at the ground, and what do you think i am making to the ground?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thats a tough comparison because the mr2 is 10 years older than your car, so it's kinda hard to say not knowing the shape his car is in, but with the mods you have I'm not suprised with the outcome. When they are in decent shape and properly modified they are pretty darn fast. My brother has one in really good shape http://mr2clean.iwarp.com/index.html and he ran high 12's with just an intake and mbc. They launch well due to the engine being placed pretty much directly over the rear wheels.

Good kill either way!
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #44
    2006 SGM WRX
    Cobb Stage 2
    APS 3" Catted TBE
    H-Tech Springs
    Eibach 10mm Spacers

Nice to see Blue_Eyez_ brought us the Reverend Claude-Henry Smoot, aka Peter Lemonjello ("Your house is on fire")

Anyway...

If he just added a downpipe to an otherwise-stock car, it didn't really do anything for him. He's still making the 200hp he did stock -- and that's if everything else has been maintained / fixed over the past 16 years.

If he wants more power he needs more boost.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

[QUOTE=John M;2179087]Nice to see Blue_Eyez_ brought us the Reverend Claude-Henry Smoot, aka Peter Lemonjello ("Your house is on fire")/QUOTE]

lol, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to identify Claude Henry!!
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #44
    2006 SGM WRX
    Cobb Stage 2
    APS 3" Catted TBE
    H-Tech Springs
    Eibach 10mm Spacers

i used to have a 91 mr2 turbo and now my friend has a 93 turbo.

just as aforementioned having just a downpipe doesn't add much power...stock mr2's make around 160whp/160wtq

now with a mbc @ 15 psi on pump gas, an fcd to compliment that, and a full turbo back exhaust you're looking at 200-215rwhp in a 28xx lbs car. that will move the mr2 pretty good.

my friend just ran my other friend's stock mazdaspeed 3 from 40-100 and the mr2 won by at least 4 cars....

u basically ran a stock mr2 turbo - they can really wake up with simple yet effective mods, assuming they're kept in good shape

my friend's mr2 right now would pull on stock sti/evo on a roll...

I agree that you whooped up on a pretty much stock MR2. I own a Celica Alltrac/GT4 which uses the same motor. And most of all the parts on our cars are small and restrictive. Most owners go with a cone filter, IC upgrade, 3" Exhaust n DP and from factory 7psi to 15psi on pump gas. Which as stated in the last post your up to 200-220rwhp. Throw in a ECU flash and can squeeze into the 240rwhp range. The biggest issue with MR2/Celica's is Fuel n EMS. Congrats on the Kill though

Good kill.
    I've always had a huge love the MR2.
    Light weight, exotic looks, great modability, and nearly 50/50 weight distribution.

Anyways, like others have already said, the downpipe isn't doing much for him. Tell him to get a full turboback, larger intercooler, and get that boost up towards 13-15psi and he'll be pushing stage2 wrx whp (210-225 area) and the race will be much better. At that point, he'd likely take you from a roll.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

haha, bout to do the same but were both stock
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

nice runs! but you pretty muched raced a stock mr2. i had one before the wrx. it had everything done to it until i blew the motor. 2.2 L block, upgraded turbo and ic (which isn't that upgraded... still small), je pistons, carillo rods, full suspension, etc... i would blow evo's and sti's out of the water. just becareful when he starts putting mods in and soon he'll be pulling from you. the good thing about those cars is that they can handle like none other and are easy to mod once you get used to killing yourself reaching over the back or pulling the motor everytime you want to do something.
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    ^^^Your sig is bull****....
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Is that a euphemism for a meat helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Tell him to get a full turboback, larger intercooler, and get that boost up towards 13-15psi and he'll be pushing stage2 wrx whp (210-225 area) and the race will be much better. At that point, he'd likely take you from a roll.
    He will take you from a roll and if he's a decent driver from a dig as well. Like I said earlier, MBC and intake gets you in the high 12's.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #44
    2006 SGM WRX
    Cobb Stage 2
    APS 3" Catted TBE
    H-Tech Springs
    Eibach 10mm Spacers

Does anyone know how much hp and ET you can squeeze out of an MR2?

I mean, if you add a bigger turbo, bigger IC, more fuel, tune, etc., how much can the stock engine internals handle?

Like a lot of people here, I've always been attracted to them, but never see them at the dragstrip.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

when my 93T was stock it would pull on my freinds 06 WRX (stock) and right now it will pull at least two lengths on another freind of mines 06 STi.. its a blast. BTW im on stock internals and im about 320rwhp... stock turbo housing ported internals, Spearco Intercooler, 650cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump, badass 3in downpipe w/ External wastegate tube, blitz exhaust, Hydra nemisis ECU... ill post pics if you want to see it.

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxwalsh View Post
    when my 93T was stock it would pull on my freinds 06 WRX (stock) and right now it will pull at least two lengths on another freind of mines 06 STi.. its a blast. BTW im on stock internals and im about 320rwhp... stock turbo housing ported internals, Spearco Intercooler, 650cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump, badass 3in downpipe w/ External wastegate tube, blitz exhaust, Hydra nemisis ECU... ill post pics if you want to see it.

Matt
    I'd like to see it. Would you mind posting some pics?
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

there it is... although currently its not this pretty right now.. but i told you my engine mods... as for the rest- poly bushings, STswaybars, H&r springs, AGX struts, H&T endlinks, s.s. lines, EBC red pads, 17x7 and 17x8 WeddSport TC005 wheels, GSD3 tires.. a couple other things im sure im leaving out... needless to say on the track i can drive this car faster than me driving a vette. i drove both on the same day and i was 2 seconds faster in this car. (C5 1998). I love this car... if you really really really want to see what happened to her ill show you but youll probably want to go puke to see a car like this in its current condition..

Matt
    Last edited by wrxwalsh; 02-17-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

yeah, my bro claims to have taken out a hayabusa on the interstate in his MR2...
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #44
    2006 SGM WRX
    Cobb Stage 2
    APS 3" Catted TBE
    H-Tech Springs
    Eibach 10mm Spacers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast