is it just me or?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on is it just me or? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; is it just me or VW GTI seem a lot faster than a wrx? me and this gti were turning ...

is it just me or?

is it just me or VW GTI seem a lot faster than a wrx? me and this gti were turning onto a freeway on-ramp, and i wasnt racing or anything but just going up the ramp like how i normally go up an on-ramp which is still pretty fast reving to 4500 rpms each gear. it didnt seem like the GTI was trying to out pace me or anything, however it was hauling way more butt than i was, and a few secs later he was farther ahead than i can see. btw this is one of the newer GTIs 4-door.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    is it just me or VW GTI seem a lot faster than a wrx? me and this gti were turning onto a freeway on-ramp, and i wasnt racing or anything but just going up the ramp like how i normally go up an on-ramp which is still pretty fast reving to 4500 rpms each gear. it didnt seem like the GTI was trying to out pace me or anything, however it was hauling way more butt than i was, and a few secs later he was farther ahead than i can see. btw this is one of the newer GTIs 4-door.
    If you were only going to 4500, your were missing out on a lot of acceleration (I think the sweet spot for max torque is 5700). Plus, he may have been changing gear quicker, and maybe his GTI wasn't stock.

Besides, the WRX isn't the fastest in its class under those conditions - when the road gets a little wet, or there are a few snow flakes, then his wheel spin and slipping around would let you leave him in the slush. (Just don't get over confident.)

+1 on what jeffp25 said. Don't start second guessing your car's speed based on the results of a situation where you weren't pushing your car at all and the other driver may have been flooring it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp25 View Post
    If you were only going to 4500, your were missing out on a lot of acceleration (I think the sweet spot for max torque is 5700). Plus, he may have been changing gear quicker, and maybe his GTI wasn't stock.
    The RPM where HP (READ) ALWAYS! exceeds TQ is 5252rpm so there is no way that the "sweet spot" for tq is 5700 rpms. That is where the stock td-04 is chokeing up and dying off. "Sweet spot" for TQ is around 3800-4500rpm's
    '02 2.0l WRX, 237awhp, 236awtq. XPT Stage 2

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

Well stock your car is faster then the Mk5 GTI.. Who knows maybe he was flooring it..lol..

Could of been Mooded..

Quote Originally Posted by blackzwrx View Post
    The RPM where HP (READ) ALWAYS! exceeds TQ is 5252rpm so there is no way that the "sweet spot" for tq is 5700 rpms. That is where the stock td-04 is chokeing up and dying off. "Sweet spot" for TQ is around 3800-4500rpm's
    This is because of the math used to calculate horsepower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer

Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    This is because of the math used to calculate horsepower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer

Yes I understand this... I'm not sure what your are trying to say?
    '02 2.0l WRX, 237awhp, 236awtq. XPT Stage 2

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

Yes I understand this... I'm not sure what your are trying to say?
    I wanted to show other people, in case they started asking why.

And also to illustrate why hp isn't nearly as important to me as torque.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I've messed around with two of my friends 20th GTi's. Not that quick IMO.

Took him from a dig with a FMIC, chip, exhaust and intake. (I'm stage 2)
    Also the other was stock and he did a quick pull from ~30 I was about 3/4 WOT.

Def. nice looking cars.
    Last edited by Subie do; 01-19-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Maybe we have different definitions here. From what I've read, and I may be wrong, there is a significant drop off in torque once the engine RPM exceeds around 5700 (I may have the number wrong a little). When your pushing the vehicle at lower speeds, where wind resistance is less of an issue, torque is more important than horsepower. So, to get the best 0-60 speeds, you want to keep the car in gear until about that point. The other complication is that every time you change gear, the power is cut briefly and the fewer gear changes you need to make, the better.

Now, I'm saying all this without necessarily knowing what I'm talking about, I admit that, and would love to hear the logical reasons why I'm wrong.

You can't judge comparitive speed if you were not pushing your car....

However, a stock MK5 GTI will go toe-to-toe with a wrx at any speed outside of a launch. They trap similarly and make very similar whp/wtq figures while weighing slightly less.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    You can't judge comparitive speed if you were not pushing your car....

However, a stock MK5 GTI will go toe-to-toe with a wrx at any speed outside of a launch. They trap similarly and make very similar whp/wtq figures while weighing slightly less.

well said, my boss has an 06 gti apr chipped and it Spanks.
    Sittin on H&R coilovers and really clean

I test drove a new GTI...and it felt much slower to me than the WRX.
    the numbers that the factory provides also says it's slower in the 0-60mph vs. the WRX.

It's fast but I felt the WRX was faster. Plus you were shifting pretty low, and driving pretty easy by the sound of it. He may have been on it hardcore trying to top you.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

Quote Originally Posted by snowflowmfg View Post
    I test drove a new GTI...and it felt much slower to me than the WRX.
    the numbers that the factory provides also says it's slower in the 0-60mph vs. the WRX.

It's fast but I felt the WRX was faster. Plus you were shifting pretty low, and driving pretty easy by the sound of it. He may have been on it hardcore trying to top you.

A butt-dyno is one of the least reliable sources of performance measure.
    Granted, the wrx is slightly faster in the 1/4mile and 0-60 but that is mainly attributed to the launch. The GTI regularly runs mid 14's @ 96-98 and does better at higher speeds. Take away the wrx's launch and it's going to be a drivers race to the very end.

The GTI's linear power and very early turbo spool are deceptive.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    And also to illustrate why hp isn't nearly as important to me as torque.
    Fully agree.

Completely OT, but in 02, the WRC STi was at 300hp and high 290's for tq, and in 07 the WRC STi was 300hp and close to 450tq (actual # was like 434 I believe). A huge plus of a boxer engine... But we still cant pull a freakin win in FIA WRC.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast