me vs Saab 9-3

This is a discussion on me vs Saab 9-3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So today i had a race with a Saab 9-3 2.0T i have a 2008 WRX Sedan with a DP ...

me vs Saab 9-3

So today i had a race with a Saab 9-3 2.0T

i have a 2008 WRX Sedan with a DP and the race was pretty even. but i neither launched and he went before i did, but once i got to half a car on him he gave up.

i didnt know until i researched them that its basically like the wrx, was quite interesting...
    2econd2none Performance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sik_WRX View Post
    So today i had a race with a Saab 9-3 2.0T

i have a 2008 WRX Sedan with a DP and the race was pretty even. but i neither launched and he went before i did, but once i got to half a car on him he gave up.

i didnt know until i researched them that its basically like the wrx, was quite interesting...
    Actually the "Saab WRX" is the 9-2x Aero, not the 9-3. The 9-3 2.0T is a 215hp (or so) FWD sedan that is certainly no match for the Rex. The 9-2x is really nice though, just about as fast as the Rex (it's slightly heavier because of more sound deadening material, etc) but the interior is quite a bit nicer. My little brother has one, but I like driving my '06 WRX more.

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrturbo16v View Post
    Actually the "Saab WRX" is the 9-2x Aero, not the 9-3. The 9-3 2.0T is a 215hp (or so) FWD sedan that is certainly no match for the Rex. The 9-2x is really nice though, just about as fast as the Rex (it's slightly heavier because of more sound deadening material, etc) but the interior is quite a bit nicer. My little brother has one, but I like driving my '06 WRX more.
    +1

The 9-2x and 9-3 have completely different engines.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

the 9-3 isn't a boxer motor at all is it?

Correct, it's a plain old, vertically oriented four-banger based on GM's corporate "Ecotec" engine architecture. It's actually not even based on the former Saab 2.0L/2.3L turbo engine, which is too bad 'cause those 2.3 blocks would support 300whp+ no prob...

'cause those 2.3 blocks would support 300whp+ no prob...
    The new ones don't?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

The interior of the 9-2x and the Impreza are identical, except for the steering wheel badge, and the seats might be covered in different fabric.

I Support ClubWRX
    <--- owns a 2000 9-5 with an "EcoPower 2.3t". There are several people with the Saab 2.0/2.3t's that make excess of 300-350whp in these cars. The base 2.3t is 170hp, the Aero/Viggen 2.3t is 240-245, stock. They have an ultra tiny turbo (makes the td04 look like a T60-1), but big FMIC. Mine, stock only runs 8psi, but I've toyed with it at 14 with a MBC, and it was a rocket. TCS off, it'd light the tires up, and chirp 2nd. Not bad for a big wagon with a slushbox.

The Trionic7 EMS (OE) is very smart, and adjusts on it's own, quite well, but to get big numbers, it's a reflash away. tons of supporting mods out there, too.
    Speedparts 9-3 Sedan.. 850hp.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ncrY18dr4G8

http://www.9-3ssr.com

here's an AWD 9-3...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=abTnQ-N4WNk
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    <--- owns a 2000 9-5 with an "EcoPower 2.3t". There are several people with the Saab 2.0/2.3t's that make excess of 300-350whp in these cars. The base 2.3t is 170hp, the Aero/Viggen 2.3t is 240-245, stock. They have an ultra tiny turbo (makes the td04 look like a T60-1), but big FMIC. Mine, stock only runs 8psi, but I've toyed with it at 14 with a MBC, and it was a rocket. TCS off, it'd light the tires up, and chirp 2nd. Not bad for a big wagon with a slushbox.

The Trionic7 EMS (OE) is very smart, and adjusts on it's own, quite well, but to get big numbers, it's a reflash away. tons of supporting mods out there, too.
    Speedparts 9-3 Sedan.. 850hp.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ncrY18dr4G8

http://www.9-3ssr.com

here's an AWD 9-3...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=abTnQ-N4WNk
    That's interesting, I had heard the newer blocks were more fragile. I am fairly sure the 2000 2.3L is still the "saab" block and not the GM-based unit. You're right on with the easily attainable power gains though. I had an '88 9000 turbo 5speed with EM, intake, custom CBE, fuel injectors (and springs) and it would burn out in second (with good tires) on any imperfect pavement. Check out http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/ ... Still my favorite car!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    I'd hit it

I Support ClubWRX
    That's interesting, I had heard the newer blocks were more fragile. I am fairly sure the 2000 2.3L is still the "saab" block and not the GM-based unit. You're right on with the easily attainable power gains though. I had an '88 9000 turbo 5speed with EM, intake, custom CBE, fuel injectors (and springs) and it would burn out in second (with good tires) on any imperfect pavement. Check out http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/ ... Still my favorite car!
    It's GM. Since late 90s when the 900 changed body styles..
    I buy parts from Cadillac / Pontiac when I can, after I cross-reference PNs
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I think it was 94 for the hatch type Saabs and 95 for the convertibles when they went over to the GM design. I had a 97 900 convertible, and their was also a 88 SPG kicking around the family a few years ago. To bad I didn’t have any money to mess around with them.