Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

04 WRX vs 04 SRT-4

8K views 71 replies 29 participants last post by  302@12psi 
#1 · (Edited)
Just wondering what would win in a race BOTH BONE STOCK? My friend just bought a SRT-4 and claims he could whoop my ass, in fact he wants to bet me $100. I know its not a lot but im broke lol so dont wanna risk it. I only had my car for a few weeks so im still learning about these cars. I checked a few web sites and apparently SRT-4's trap in the low 100's...YIKES! Compared to our mid 90's. The thing is my friend is new to driving manual so i might be able to pull it off. But with equal drivers does the WRX have a chance from a roll? Or even a dig?

Thanks guys

#43 ·
havoksrt4 said:
And the reason it flames up is because of comments like these...

and I quote

but we must remember at the end of the day its still a dodge neon!

I hate those neons

They might be quick But they are just so lame. It's Still a NEON!!

Just FYI Mr. Moderator, Sir.
I don't understand what people's beef with the Dodge Neon is. I have a buddy (the family has had 4, 2 of which were totaled due to teenage driving - they would continue to buy them) who currently has 180k on the dial, and has had the car since 70k (probably 30k of the miles are on roads people would only dare to drive a Wrangler on). The only thing that needed any work (other than because of his idiocy) is the head gasket around 100k (which is a common problem with the model) and a new clutch (replaced at 175k).

The SRT-4 Neon was a quick car, available for under $20k sticker. It serves a niche, and it did it well. Personally, I was not a fan of the shifter/pedals (though, I dislike them on my friend's Neon, as well).

Comments like "it's still a Neon" to me sound like someone who's upset he got beat by one :p

#46 ·
I guess its personal preference, lets face it guys, most people out there find our cars "ugly"...the 02-07 WRX for example doesn't have those lines that a 350Z or a M3 have, we have heard it everywhere, our cars are not seen as "eye candy" exactly...but perosnally to me they are beautiful!

The SRT-4 looks beautiful as well, in fact if i had to chose id say stock for stock it looks nicer than my 02 WRX, however the WRX has nicer interior, and they are both fast, so i love both cars! And i love that they are both turbo sedans :)

#60 ·
I guess its personal preference, lets face it guys, most people out there find our cars "ugly"...the 02-07 WRX for example doesn't have those lines that a 350Z or a M3 have, we have heard it everywhere, our cars are not seen as "eye candy" exactly...but perosnally to me they are beautiful!
Yeah, the wrx requires a certain taste for it to be appreciated.

It's not the best looking car around, but it's overall package (pre-08' at least IMO) really makes it appealing. There is just something about the car that makes me constantly appreciate it for what it is.

I am sure the same can be said for many other cars.. including the SRT4

#53 ·
another one headed for the crapper. woohoo

#55 ·
Hello all, I'm not really new to the forums, I just haven't posted very often but I've got a point to make. About 6 or 7 months ago I had a pretty well paying job. Keep in mind I'm a teenager living in the woods of Northeastern Pennsylvania, so a well paying job is anything over 8 dollars an hour. I stumbled upon an srt-4 that had been traded in. I enjoyed the car very much, but I fit the teenager stereotype of not being very familiar with a car of this much torque and well overall "balls." I got a rush from driving it, and signed a 5 year loan the next day. 2 weeks later, the clutch gave out. The thing with these cars, and purchasing them now, being as they no longer make them is the pure fact that they are built to get the **** beat out of them. I replaced the clutch, and well 2 or 3 months later I found myself doing a barrel roll in mid air, and well this isn't really making any sort of point. But yeah I now own an 04 wrx, and that car would've eaten it for breakfast. Quite simply put, I'd much rather have the wrx, with less horsepower, and be able to drive in the snow pretty easily, then have a balls to the wall race car that if I even drove in the snow would end up in a ditch because of the lower gearing torque. I mean when I had the srt if I didn't let out the clutch just right, and revved a little too high I'd have the wheels chirp in 3rd gear. Thats not a very fun thing to have to deal with. WRX ftw, maybe not speed wise, but overall reliability and comfort x10

#59 · (Edited)
i cant drive so i blamed the car

fixed it for you. also if anyone ever gets mad at anything that happens on a web forum or even upset at it, they need some help. so what will be the next excuse as the caliber srt4 destroys 06wrxs? its still fwd and looks like it got rear ended by a durango? if having a slower, easier to drive awd car suits your needs more power to you. I'll just never understand where the hate for a certain car while having no knowledge about it comes from.

#56 ·
A few things I must point out after reading this thread…

1. I would NEVER EVER say any neon is anything close to a beautiful a WRX. I mean come on guys… A WRX is absolutely beautiful!

2. I agree with everyone who says… no matter what… It’s still a Neon. Neon’s remind me of when I was 16 and trying to make my Hyundai Excel quick. I’m really not trying to hate… that’s my opinion and I’m SURE there are people who feel the same about a WRX.

On a more personal note…. I believe a contributing factor to why I hate the Neon so much is due to the fact that my S|uT face ex-fiancée that left me for some douch bag drives a Neon. I felt that needed to be thrown out there! :rotfl:

#57 ·
A few things I must point out after reading this thread…

1. I would NEVER EVER say any neon is anything close to a beautiful a WRX. I mean come on guys… A WRX is absolutely beautiful!

:
Its not beautiful it does have flared fenders and a hood scoop though

#63 ·
LOL, u guys should race my SRT-4, and see who laughs, just never underestimate the "Neon" they dyno bone stock 225-230 whp. my budddys srt went BONE STOCK at the track 13.7 @ 101.6,
now my srt when i ran it had a slipping stock clutch, and i ran a 13.2@ 107 an these times are on the stock bf goodrich tires which by the way suck, am going DCR stage 3 this summer, and throw some slicks on the car an ill be running mid 11's all day long. so dont hate on the neon, i dont hate on wrx's and stis and evo's, so theres no reason to trash the srt-4. Like one guy told me there the best Bang for the buck, that and we spin 1st 2nd and part of 3rd gear on my car..

#64 ·
that and we spin 1st 2nd and part of 3rd gear on my car..
Did you previously own a mustang? They are the only other group of car people that brag about spinning tires.

The whole idea isnt to sit there and spin tires...spinning tires means you arent putting power down to the pavement where it should be.

#68 ·
SRT-4 owners around where I live are arrogant kids that slap cheap parts on their cars, turn the boost way up, put annoyingnly loud BOV's on their rides, and pray to God their cars don't blow(which they always do). They are cheap power that fail the test of time. If an SRT-4 wanted to race, I'd waited until it rained, cause those things have horrible traction. I'm only talking this way cause this is a subaru forum, and honestly I hate srt-4's

#71 ·
Ok i think the bashing should stop, i love my car, and i love wrx's sti's, evo's etc.. i always go to the big subie meet in seaside park, every year with my buddys, and ull see every car their including Vw's sti's evo's srt-4's GTO's, etc. and we all get along, so lets stop the bashing, in the end we all love our cars, weather u have AWD, FWD, or RWD. and u can make any car go fast, as long as your pockets arent empty, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.