WRX awd versus Audi quattro awd - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on WRX awd versus Audi quattro awd within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by VDUBHEAD VW/Audi has there problems and Subaru has their's. Who cares. I've owned both and in terms ...

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VDUBHEAD View Post
    VW/Audi has there problems and Subaru has their's. Who cares.
    I've owned both and in terms of reliability and fewer headaches I'll go with the Subaru any day of the week.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I've owned both and in terms of reliability and fewer headaches I'll go with the Subaru any day of the week.
    +1
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    +200
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

This is a car forum. This is what we do; sit around on our computers and discuss the goods and the bads of cars. So evidently we care.
    YEAH Merlot
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

Thumbs up

This is a car forum. This is what we do; sit around on our computers and discuss the goods and the bads of cars. So evidently we care.
    +1
    '02 PSM WRX stg 2
    '67 camaro (my dad's, but hopefully one day i can delete these parenthesis)

bugeye mafia #161

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    My audi had no traction control.
    Sorry dude, your Audi does have traction control. Audi refers to it as EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) during that generation. Basically it applies your brakes to the wheels that are free spinning, that's the very definition of traction control.

"Manually locking rear differential was replaced by "electronic differential lock" (EDL) (Difflock imitation, detects wheelspin via ABS sensors and applies brakes to the one spinning wheel, thus transferring torque via open differential to the opposite wheel which has more traction)[1]. EDL works at speeds up to 80km/h (50mph) on all quattro models (on non-quattro models: up to 40 km/h (25 mph)."
    (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro...rive_system%29)

That quote is referring to the Quattro generation IV system, starting in 1996. The Subaru has a limited slip differential, but has no system to apply braking, so it's a "pure" AWD system.

We have an '07 WRX and an '02 Audi A4 Quattro. I love the WRX, way more fun to drive, but the traction control in the A4 makes a HUGE difference for less skilled drivers. You basically can't slide it at low speed, the brakes just stop it. Kinda cool if you don't know how to drive out of a slide.

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodshot View Post
    We have an '07 WRX and an '02 Audi A4 Quattro. I love the WRX, way more fun to drive, but the traction control in the A4 makes a HUGE difference for less skilled drivers. You basically can't slide it at low speed, the brakes just stop it. Kinda cool if you don't know how to drive out of a slide.
    Interesting, I have an '07 WRX and an '02 A4 quattro also. I haven't yet decided which AWD performs better on snow and ice. So far they've both been pretty good, but if I had to pick one right now the (slight) nod would go to the Subaru. I have different brand and size tires on each car though, so the comparison between the AWD systems isn't completely valid.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodshot View Post

whoa didnt know that, i had an 01.

Last night i went around a hard 90 degree right turn with a downward fast slope. When i got into the turn i realized it was covered in ice, i started to drift towards the oncoming minivan in the other lane, But thanks to no traction control I pushed the pedal down and drove right out of the corner, sideways or not at least i didnt pull a Not-E and hit an innocent.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Nat
    Today we received several inches of snow. By afternoon most of the roads turned to ice, and since the temps hovered around freezing the ice was wet and very slippery. I took both cars out on the same route around my neighborhood, back-to-back within minutes of one another, and had a chance to compare first-hand Audi quattro v. Subaru AWD. I went through several iced-over roundabouts, intersections, curves, and straights.

The venue:

In this corner:
    2002 Audi A4 1.8t quattro sedan, 5-speed manual, Sport Package, Winter package, 245/45R17 Michelin Pilot PS2 winter performance tires, ESP (traction control) turned on, 3/4 tank of gas.

And in the other corner:
    2007 WRX wagon, 2.5L turbo motor, 225/45R17 Yokohama W.Drive winter performance tires, 3/4 tank of gas. Mods include SPT catback exhaust and 20mm rear sway bar, otherwise stock.

The car pics were taken before the snows came, obviously. Something I think is interesting is that according to data I've found online, both cars weigh the same to the pound. The Audi feels like a heavier car. The WRX feels way faster.

The shootout:
    Up until today I had not driven my two cars back-to-back on snow and ice. I mentally had told myself that the Subaru was slightly better in foul conditions, but had to base my judgement on memory of how each car drove on previous days. Since today is Sunday and I had nowhere to be, this was a perfect time to try them out in identical weather conditions one right after another.

I drove the WRX first. On several of the more slippery sections with a goose of the pedal I could break the car loose and it would powerslide sideways until all fours hooked up. It was very predictable and controllable, but it was a slide nonetheless.

Next I immediately grabbed the keys to the A4 and took it on the same route. On the same slippery sections where the Subaru had slid, the Audi's traction control light would blink (meaning it was being put to work), and the car would slip only a moment then would find its way into the correct direction of travel. I tried several times to break it loose but when the ESP would kick in, I more or less could not skid out of control! It was really dramatic how much more controlled this car was. It was not even a subtle difference, but a major one. I was quite impressed.

With the ESP off the Audi felt similar to the Subaru, but since it has less horsepower it took more tall-skinny pedal to break it loose. All in all it felt very controlled.

The verdict: Both the WRX and the A4 have good snow and ice manners, but with the traction control left on, it's Audi quattro FTW!

Thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post

The verdict: Both the WRX and the A4 have good snow and ice manners, but with the traction control left on, it's Audi quattro FTW!

Thanks for reading.

I DEMAND A RE-COUNT!!
    He grows so strong...he can kill our admins.

WRC > //////NASCAR

Bugeye Mafia #155
    Military Militia#187

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234