Shelby GT vs 08 STI - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40

This is a discussion on Shelby GT vs 08 STI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by idipskoalmint +1 As I said earlier, I miss the S/C Cobra - I drove an '03 one ...

  1. #31
    Registered User ismegamanthere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    +1

    As I said earlier, I miss the S/C Cobra - I drove an '03 one a buddy owned, and it was quite quick and a blast to do donuts in haha
    Cobras are still S/C, what are you talking about? Anyways, I'd gladly take ANY STi over that rip off of a Mustang any day of the week. Not only am I sick and tired of the new generation Mustangs but the fact that Shelby didn't really do much to the car in the first place and tacked on $10+ grand to the car is absolutely ridiculous. See Ford, there's a BIG difference between an WRX and an STi, maybe you should have thought out this PoS Shelby GT before you released it.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User Twigman503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Lie's...it's the downforce yo.
    DOWNFORCE FTW!!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spoiler2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	75704
    Hawk-Eye Alliance- #2121
    Dirty Crew #2121
    New England F4
    "Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."

  4. #33
    Registered User Juice33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by ismegamanthere View Post
    Cobras are still S/C, what are you talking about? Anyways, I'd gladly take ANY STi over that rip off of a Mustang any day of the week. Not only am I sick and tired of the new generation Mustangs but the fact that Shelby didn't really do much to the car in the first place and tacked on $10+ grand to the car is absolutely ridiculous. See Ford, there's a BIG difference between an WRX and an STi, maybe you should have thought out this PoS Shelby GT before you released it.
    I don't know if you noticed it, but there is a HUGE difference between a Mustang GT and A Shelby GT500( which was developed by SVT), that would be the comparison of the WRX and STI, as it was with the old New Edge Stang GTs and the 03/04 Cobras. SVT is to Ford what STI is to Subaru. The Shelby GT is just for those Shelby collectors that want a new Shelby Stang and it is not an SVT vehicle. Everyone that knows cars, knows what it is, a sheep in wolf's clothing. I also can almost gaurantee (99% sure of this) that the Shelby GT (while not that great of an improvement over a regular GT) will be worth a lot more money than an STI down the road because it says Shelby on it and for no other reason. Ford puts a big price tag on this car because of the Shelby nameplate on it, not because of its performance. That is why dealerships mark up the GT500s so much, not because of their rarity, but because of the name on the back (and like I said, the GT500 was mostly developed by SVT, not Shelby), although the GT500 has the balls to back it up. I think the GT500s are only $4000 or $5000 more (before dealer mark-up) than the Shelby GTs, which is a rediculous difference considering the difference in performance.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

  5. #34
    Registered User ismegamanthere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice33 View Post
    I don't know if you noticed it, but there is a HUGE difference between a Mustang GT and A Shelby GT500( which was developed by SVT), that would be the comparison of the WRX and STI, as it was with the old New Edge Stang GTs and the 03/04 Cobras. SVT is to Ford what STI is to Subaru. The Shelby GT is just for those Shelby collectors that want a new Shelby Stang and it is not an SVT vehicle. Everyone that knows cars, knows what it is, a sheep in wolf's clothing. I also can almost gaurantee (99% sure of this) that the Shelby GT (while not that great of an improvement over a regular GT) will be worth a lot more money than an STI down the road because it says Shelby on it and for no other reason. Ford puts a big price tag on this car because of the Shelby nameplate on it, not because of its performance. That is why dealerships mark up the GT500s so much, not because of their rarity, but because of the name on the back (and like I said, the GT500 was mostly developed by SVT, not Shelby), although the GT500 has the balls to back it up. I think the GT500s are only $4000 or $5000 more (before dealer mark-up) than the Shelby GTs, which is a rediculous difference considering the difference in performance.
    I realize all of the things you pointed out. What I'm saying though, is that the Shelby GT is still a waste of money and time and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Also, regardless of the fact that it has the Shelby moniker on the car, Ford has plenty of say in what goes into the car. That's why I said Ford should take a hint. I just wish Ford wouldn't be such cheap bastards and make people pay $20 grand over a regular GT (and it'll be a lot more than 20 grand) to get the "STi" of Mustangs. The Shelby GT would have been a perfect start to show what Ford/Shelby can do with a beefed up Stang that's less than the new GT500/Cobra.

  6. #35
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,805
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    The WRX doesn't need a spoiler anymore than the Focus SVT or Focus RS does.

    / Devils Advocate.

    Well played sir...


    But at least the WRX can make it near 150mph where it might need downforce...

    when's the last time a Focus hit 150mph in stock trim?

    But yes in all seriousness...what car is there that actually needs the functionality of a spoiler in real world, daily driving?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  7. #36
    Registered User Juice33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by ismegamanthere View Post
    I realize all of the things you pointed out. What I'm saying though, is that the Shelby GT is still a waste of money and time and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Also, regardless of the fact that it has the Shelby moniker on the car, Ford has plenty of say in what goes into the car. That's why I said Ford should take a hint. I just wish Ford wouldn't be such cheap bastards and make people pay $20 grand over a regular GT (and it'll be a lot more than 20 grand) to get the "STi" of Mustangs. The Shelby GT would have been a perfect start to show what Ford/Shelby can do with a beefed up Stang that's less than the new GT500/Cobra.
    I agree with you on the Shelby GT being nothing more than a name on the car that brings the money in. But it was made for people that coulnd't aford/handle a GT500 and it still gives them that Uber-Collectible name Shelby on the back of their car. But in the end, the car will most likely be more valuable down the road than any STI, which is attractive to the buyer as well.

    The GT500 is more than just the STI of mustangs. You also forget it has the shelby moniker on it which costs more by itself, it is what it is, if Ford makes money off of it, but the thinking is it will be worth boatloads because it says Shelby on it. If you can find me another car with 500 HP within $10,000.00 of the sticker price of a GT500 I will acknowledge your argument that Ford should have made it cheaper, until then it is null and void, and it is less than $20,000 more than regular GT. You get a lot with the GT500 like the bigger engine with the blower on it, and much much more. The difference between the STI and the WRX is not nearly as much as the difference between the GT and GT500, and the prices reflect that. I feel that for the sticker price of the GT500, you get more car than anything else that is available near it's price point, along with more potential for modding and HP gains, as well as sick suspension options.

    How much are the 08 STIs MSRP (I honestly don't know)? I thought I heard they would be in the $38000 range (but like I said, I have no clue).
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

  8. #37
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well played sir...


    But at least the WRX can make it near 150mph where it might need downforce...

    when's the last time a Focus hit 150mph in stock trim?

    But yes in all seriousness...what car is there that actually needs the functionality of a spoiler in real world, daily driving?
    ACTUALLY,

    The Focus SVT traps at near wrx speeds (93-94 mph) and will hit its limited at relatively the same speed the wrx does (the 140-ish area) and the Focus RS is faster than a wrx and mods better.

    My point stands.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  9. #38
    Registered User IwannaWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Turlock,
    Posts
    89
    I do think there is a unfair bias going with Edmunds staff, a wrx and a regular GT would made a better comparison more of a equal in terms of performance vs. price vs. comfort features. The 03-04 cobra's were of a platform design of 1979 and were finally put to rest, somewhat sad though.

    The ONLY resemblance of the Shelby and the GT500 is the name. The Shelby gt is a dressed up Gt while the GT500 has stronger body construction, bigger motor with S/C and six speed and body mods. p.s. the hood openings are real on the gt500
    A Quote from a another Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by redfiresvtsnake View Post
    Your whole worlds started up with a pair of Japanese clerics pouring the essence of a billion goddamn pissed off bees into the cylinder head of your econo-motored paper-mache sh!t skates and blessed your worthless, bleak lives with the greatness of the holy VTEC.
    "

  10. #39
    Registered User Lightbulbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baghdad, Iraq
    Posts
    93
    I showed this video to a co-worker that owns a 07 mustang v-6 and he still said he would buy the Shelby over the STI...even though he *****es about driving to work when theres a 1/4 inch of snow on the ground.
    Essayons!
    21B

    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2580544 <-- My car.

  11. #40
    Registered User XIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NJ/NC
    Posts
    9
    good vid. wished they didnt make the new STI a hatchback... looks like a civic to me... boy I miss the 07 and under looks...

    "Life Starts at 400 awhp"
    2000 MAXIMA GLE - STOCK
    2006 PONTIAC G6 GT COUPE - STOCK
    2000 FORD F150 XLT - WORK
    1994 MITSUBISHI 3000GT VR4 - 437 AWHP/ 464 FT/TQ SOLD
    1989 TOYOTA SUPRA - STOCK WRECKED

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •