STi vs Evo (Handling)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs Evo (Handling) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I know the topic of STi vs Evo has been covered quite a lot of times, but seriously ...

STi vs Evo (Handling)

Hey guys, I know the topic of STi vs Evo has been covered quite a lot of times, but seriously most of them only compare HP, drag, 1/4, etc...

I would like to hear some comparison talk on handling wise.

Yes, the stock Evo will out perform stock STi (Talking about ver9 vs evo9, usdm) on track and STi will have a upper hand on rally. And I've been reading lots of argument about one is better than the other, no matter stock vs stock or modded vs modded.

So my question is, what makes Evo handling better than STi? or not?...
    Does Evo actually handling better at the limit over the STi? Or just Evo owners said that?

Did anyone actually owned both of the car and did some test on it?

I mean, even if we know Evo handles better, but I would still like to know how? and why? which part of our car design get the downside? When compare modded evo vs modded sti with some fair suspension setup, same size swaybars, same size tires, same coilover setup, which one will perform better and why?

If any of you have had ever compare them or have heard about them, I hope you can share with us I've heard too much STi owners said Evo is not that good while they never driven an Evo or Evo owners said their car handles better but they never driven a STi.

What both car will act like when car the is pushing over the grip limit?
    (I mean a modded STi will still more likely to understeer at the limit, how about Evo?)

And I know one will perform better on different road course, let's compare them too. Which one will get a upperhand on these different place? (consider their strength and weakness)

Track (not drag racing)
    Autocross
    Canyon (not to suggest street racing here, just an idea of those small and tight corner road)
    Dirt (my guess is STi win here)
    Wet (Just wet, not raining)
    Snow (never actually seen this comparison before)

I am not comparing the driving skills here, I assume they are both driven by Stig

And sorry for the stupid question If you think this kind of compare is pointless, please don't flame and just let me know. Thanks!
    Last edited by Liam; 12-14-2007 at 04:36 AM.
    2005 Blogeye - STi @ Cobb Stage 2
    Tanabe Medallion Touring Catback, ERZ downpipe
    Stance GR+ Coilover, Cusco F/R Swaybar, Kartboy F/R Endlink, Cusco Front Strut Bar, STi Rear Strut Bar, RE-01R

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The EVO has a better steering ratio, probaly better spring rates, and I'd imagine the motor located in a somewhat better location.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    This has apparently changed with the new versions of each. The new STI is a handling monster.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    This has apparently changed with the new versions of each. The new STI is a handling monster.
    The new Evo X with its SAWD (super all wheel drive) is suppose to be amazing to drive. I guess we are going to have to wait until they are both out for a bit to know for sure

brianH has owned both, ask him and sift through the cynicism

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    brianH has owned both, ask him and sift through the cynicism
    You are half way their....he never owned a STI just a highly modded WRX.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    You are half way their....he never owned a STI just a highly modded WRX.
    ah.. I know I've seen people on this board who have had both. maybe ntg06?

the evo as always bin 1 step ahead of the sti in every tarmac compiition. chassis, power to weight vs gear ratios are all just all differnt
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    the evo as always bin 1 step ahead of the sti in every tarmac compiition. chassis, power to weight vs gear ratios are all just all differnt
    the evo has always been a few steps behind the STi on any surface other than tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    the evo has always been a few steps behind the STi on any surface other than tarmac.
    That really doesn't matter though, 90% of the people who buy an STI or an Evo are going stay on pavement the entire life of the car. I think its a matter of opinion than performance. If I were going to build a race car I would jump at the Evo because it seems easier to make it into one. But I think the STI is a much nicer street car.
    2003 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 (sold)
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

ive always been told that sti's have tons of understeer and evo's have tons of oversteer. and it is basically up to the driver and his driving style or just your preference. but in the end I win because i have a sti

everything says the evo slightly out performs the sti, and as nice as i think the evo looks, i doubt i could ever buy one. I really just dont trust anythign mitsubishi, i've had alot of experience with a 1g dsm, it was a FUN car, but reliability just wasnt there

Even if the Evo beat the STI in every category I would not regret buying my STI. There's just something about the car that I love. I get excited every time I get behind the wheel of the thing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Genes View Post
    Even if the Evo beat the STI in every category I would not regret buying my STI. There's just something about the car that I love. I get excited every time I get behind the wheel of the thing.
    and you wouldnt feel the same behind the wheel of a new evo-x ?

Last edited by low430; 12-15-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Boy does that car scream pull me over and take my Drivers liscence, I'm so glad subaru is going more restrained with styling, it will appeal to a much broader audience than the evo x

I Expect subaru to sell tens of thousands more 08 STI than mitsu sells Evox

Its a sick looking car i just am thinking logically about owning a car that looks like that.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast