VW R32 vs. WRX/STi
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW R32 vs. WRX/STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ive got a buddy of mine who says he has his heart set on getting an 04 VW R32 after ...

VW R32 vs. WRX/STi

Ive got a buddy of mine who says he has his heart set on getting an 04 VW R32 after he saw one on the highway the other day. I try to "SELL" a suby to anyone who is in the market for a new car just by informing them on how much of a bad*** car they are, you know. I know little about the R32 but can they be compared to a WRX of even and STi I dont think thats realistic but maybe they have more than i think. I believe they are a 3.2 V6 AWD 6speed with about 250hp stock plus only a 2door hatch.
    What do you guys think
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The R32 has much better fit and finish, and plenty of room for tuning.

http://www.vfengineering.com/index.p...w_r32nonus.php

IMHO-They're a bit more expensive to mod, which is the only reason that so many are stock.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, if you like creature comforts, and are happy to have a level of stock performance that's not quite up to the STI, then the R32 is a fine vehicle. The exhaust note on that car is very cool, as well.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Yeah, if you like creature comforts, and are happy to have a level of stock performance that's not quite up to the STI, then the R32 is a fine vehicle. The exhaust note on that car is very cool, as well.
    +1

I love the exhaust note on the VR6 engine. It sounds almost as good as the NSX's V6 exhaust note.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

I was in my friends R32 a couple years ago and it's definetly a nice car inside and out but it won't match the performance of an STi, not even close. Hell, a stock WRX would probably take an R32.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ismegamanthere View Post
    I was in my friends R32 a couple years ago and it's definetly a nice car inside and out but it won't match the performance of an STi, not even close. Hell, a stock WRX would probably take an R32.
    Hard to compare with a "seat of the pants" dyno. NA VR6 is going to feel slower than it really is when you're accustomed to boost.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hard to compare with a "seat of the pants" dyno. NA VR6 is going to feel slower than it really is when you're accustomed to boost.
    +1

Boost induced torque is a pleasure all it's own, but truly there is no replacement for displacement. While a N/A R32 might feel slow in stock trim as compared to a turbo, the R32 does make a nice amount of power (240hp/236tq).

http://www.modernracer.com/vwr32.html
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I have a good friend with an R32. We don't live near each other (both military) so we've never raced, but it's a really nice car. It would take a stock WRX without much of a problem. With VW though, it's really about the whole package. Interior and creature comfort is where that car shines. It just happens to be decently fast too.
    And one more time, it sounds really cool too.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I looked at one in Burlington Vermont. Problem with (at least the 2007) R32 is how rare they are; at least in the northeast. The one the Vermont dealership had was moderately equipped (which equates to more options than are even available on Subi's) and the sticker was $35K. They don't negotiate on R32s at all (so they said) as they don't even have to try and get rid of them. Dealer seemed to imply they charged more than sticker.

To test drive it - they wanted a commit to buy so I can't say what it drove like.

Maintenance on VWs is expensive - I am very happy with my WRX.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

r32 = 4000 made.

its AWD and is quick. they have a turbo application which equates to 500 HP i was looking into getting one... the interior is way better than the subi IMO too
    2econd2none Performance

expensive VWs are too slow, fast Audis too expensive

IMO the R32 is a nice daily driver -- with refinement, style, sound, utility, etc. -- but too slow by today's standards (unless you can afford adding boost, which can turn it into a monster: sleeper looks with exotic levels of performance). Nonetheless, especially if function is more important than form, next year's STI is more than a match for the old or new R32.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

The wrx does not even compare to the R32. It would take stage2 + full suspension + brake upgrades for a wrx to hang (performance wise) with an R32.

As for the STi, the R32's braking and handling are on par, but the power just isn't there.
    Of course, what it lacks in power it makes up for with refinements and creature comforts.

As a daily driver, I was quite impressed with the R32 I rode in that had aftermarket Navi, exhaust, intake, and ecu. The exhaust note is of something you might associate with a $200,000 exotic.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    The wrx does not even compare to the R32. It would take stage2 + full suspension + brake upgrades for a wrx to hang (performance wise) with an R32.

As for the STi, the R32's braking and handling are on par, but the power just isn't there.
    Of course, what it lacks in power it makes up for with refinements and creature comforts.

As a daily driver, I was quite impressed with the R32 I rode in that had aftermarket Navi, exhaust, intake, and ecu. The exhaust note is of something you might associate with a $200,000 exotic.
    I guess I can't agree - data I have seen says the WRX outperfoms the R32 (and you get 4 doors!). Check out this website. The nearest they show is the 1/4 and 0-60 for the 2004 R32 which I believe is the same as the 2007:

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...Z-60times.html
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I Support ClubWRX
    In my real world experience, the R32 will walk a WRX, slowly, but it will still walk it. Against an STi, it rapidly dissapears in the rear view mirror. Not even close.

Seeing one on the track, the tires are a bit oversized for the suspension and it looks like it suffers from some bump steer. The brakes or pads are not up to the task of repeated high speed stops, with lots of smoking which I would presume would lead to some serious fade.

Love the look and sound and the interior. Just had one out in front of my house for 2 days as sister-in-laws' friend had one during her visit recently. Went for a ride and loved it.

Checking on mods, they appear to be VERY expensive to extract good HP from. It looks like a minimum of 15K to really safely up the HP on them without things going boom. They hold their resale value very well though.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I guess I can't agree - data I have seen says the WRX outperfoms the R32 (and you get 4 doors!). Check out this website. The nearest they show is the 1/4 and 0-60 for the 2004 R32 which I believe is the same as the 2007:

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...Z-60times.html
    You cannot base a "race decision" on a 1/4mile time database like that

I am going off of viewing numerous tests in mags, times at the track, slips posted online, and real life experience.

9 times out of 10 an R32 will take a wrx (regardless of wrx year).
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast