VW R32 vs. WRX/STi - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW R32 vs. WRX/STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Bc I need the AWD and If im going to have AWD I need to have the turbo lol. Here ...

Bc I need the AWD and If im going to have AWD I need to have the turbo lol. Here in St. Louis(midwest in general) been having horrible weather that has prevented me from getting to work on 3 different occasions due to FWD of my car and higher tq. Pretty much, a friend sold me on all aspects of the WRX. I was actually in the market for a STI but was told its better to get the 06-07 WRX and mod it with STi components such as turbo, tmic and such and will be quicker, and cheaper at that. so im in the market. saw one I really liked and might take the plunge but still lookking around for possibly better deal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julito04 View Post
    Bc I need the AWD and If im going to have AWD I need to have the turbo lol. Here in St. Louis(midwest in general) been having horrible weather that has prevented me from getting to work on 3 different occasions due to FWD of my car and higher tq. Pretty much, a friend sold me on all aspects of the WRX. I was actually in the market for a STI but was told its better to get the 06-07 WRX and mod it with STi components such as turbo, tmic and such and will be quicker, and cheaper at that. so im in the market. saw one I really liked and might take the plunge but still lookking around for possibly better deal.
    Honestly, if you're looking to mod I would look for a used STI. I thought I would be content with a stock '06 WRX. I was wrong. I really would like to go Stage 2 which puts the WRX in the stock STI range in terms of power. However, the tranny is not that strong and I've seen plenty of people shred gears with just OTS Stage 2 maps and even stock power levels. Some people get lucky with the stock trans holding up fine, most do not. I have bad luck and I really don't want to upgrade the tranny since it's a pretty penny. Bottom line, if you're really looking to mod a used STI is your best option. Engine mods are cheap, however, the tranny puts a limit on your fun.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

what year would you recommend? I want something that still has a warranty if possible. Or are subies prone to alot of mechanical maintenance after 50,000miles?

my friend recently got a 08 gti its a really nice car!! u might look for a sti due to the reason that modding a 06/07 wrx puts u at a higher risk of breaking the transmission because the of torque like many others have said. iv have seen 02-03 wrx's in the 100k without any mechanical problems just the typical wear and tear. The biggest problem when purchasing a wrx/sti is because the previous owner might have abused it
    Last edited by dragonwrx1; 03-05-2008 at 11:49 AM.
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

what year would you recommend? I want something that still has a warranty if possible. Or are subies prone to alot of mechanical maintenance after 50,000miles?
    The newest and best you can find is recommended. If you can find an 04 that hasn't been modded, perfect. It will be your cheapest bet, but more than likely a few more miles than if you find an 05-07 of course. But they all have the very strong 6spd trannies and the engines are very strong.

The only maintenance after 50,000 is the usual stuff: oil changes, 60k service, you'll want to do tranny fluids, diffs, coolant perhaps, and change the plugs...but thats just all general upkeep, which you'd want to do on your own car anyway. Subaru engines are every bit as reliable as a Toyota/Honda, as long as they are taken care of.

But be careful...when you start beating on it and modding it, as with any car, you will begin to shorten the life of things a bit...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The newest and best you can find is recommended. If you can find an 04 that hasn't been modded, perfect. It will be your cheapest bet, but more than likely a few more miles than if you find an 05-07 of course. But they all have the very strong 6spd trannies and the engines are very strong.

The only maintenance after 50,000 is the usual stuff: oil changes, 60k service, you'll want to do tranny fluids, diffs, coolant perhaps, and change the plugs...but thats just all general upkeep, which you'd want to do on your own car anyway. Subaru engines are every bit as reliable as a Toyota/Honda, as long as they are taken care of.

But be careful...when you start beating on it and modding it, as with any car, you will begin to shorten the life of things a bit...
    '04 STI's had a couple minor quirks. I would go with any '05+ STI, lower mileage / better condition, obviously, the better.

Also, brakes are pretty expensive on the STI. Check out the meat on the pads and rotors if you can.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

julito,

I have a WRB '05 STi that is going up for sale here in a couple of weeks.
    It has 35,000 miles. It is also stock(no mods). I think the bumper to bumper part of the warranty has expired but the drivetrain is still covered. If you're interested, let me know. It won't be available for a couple of weeks though.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    a buddy of mine (former WRX and STi owner) just got a 08 R32- he's getting back into STX competition w/ it

[/QUOTE]
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    a buddy of mine (former WRX and STi owner) just got a 08 R32- he's getting back into STX competition w/ it

[/QUOTE]

very nice R. Do you know if hes on the golfmkv.com forum? Those things have one of the sexiest exhaust notes ive ever heard on a car, let alone a v6.

I Support ClubWRX
    The cost of modifying a WRX to meet STi performance standards in all aspects has been examined a number of times, particularly when the 2004 STi first arrived. It is beyond doubt that the cost of a used STi is better on the wallet then the cost of a used WRX modified to meet an STi. The brakes and clutch/trans are the big ticket items here. Followed by the suspension. The engine is fairly easy.

CN: Used STi less expensive then a used WRX modified to equal STi.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    The cost of modifying a WRX to meet STi performance standards in all aspects has been examined a number of times, particularly when the 2004 STi first arrived. It is beyond doubt that the cost of a used STi is better on the wallet then the cost of a used WRX modified to meet an STi. The brakes and clutch/trans are the big ticket items here. Followed by the suspension. The engine is fairly easy.

CN: Used STi less expensive then a used WRX modified to equal STi.
    awesome, will do. Sorry for all the noob questions, just trying to get all my info straight. now, I know the STI comes with brembos, upgraded suspension etc.. but does it come with upgraded internals or is it the same 2.5l like the WRX with a different compression ratio?

QFT
    Kind of an old thread, but I figured it should be said... the R32 is slower than a WRX, at least 0-60. Straight off the manufacturer's website, it's at 6.5. They actually make a Passat that is faster (but still slower than 5.7, which is what the WRX is at)

There's a reason the R32 is more expensive though... extremely nice interior, a much more refined vehicle, and there's definitely something to be said for natural aspiration. Overall I like the R32 better. It's a very nice complete package but it's a bit pricey.
    Last edited by QFT; 03-21-2008 at 04:06 PM.

first off small pic of Duvalwrx06 that thing looks badass and the 08 r32 pic at first i thought it was a fit ,fyt or something wtf is a r32

Quote Originally Posted by 4valvemach View Post
    first off small pic of Duvalwrx06 that thing looks badass and the 08 r32 pic at first i thought it was a fit ,fyt or something wtf is a r32
    Are you for real? I know im not part of the WRX/STI community(yet!) and no im not trolling but WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by QFT View Post
    Kind of an old thread, but I figured it should be said... the R32 is slower than a WRX, at least 0-60. Straight off the manufacturer's website, it's at 6.5. They actually make a Passat that is faster (but still slower than 5.7, which is what the WRX is at)

There's a reason the R32 is more expensive though... extremely nice interior, a much more refined vehicle, and there's definitely something to be said for natural aspiration. Overall I like the R32 better. It's a very nice complete package but it's a bit pricey.
    Very nice follow up. The exhaust note is straight sex on the R32's. C&D got a 5.5-5.6 0-60 on the R32 I believe. Either way, I do believe that a WRX would take a R32.

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you for real? I know im not part of the WRX/STI community(yet!) and no im not trolling but WOW.
    Not everyone lives their life with a Road and Track magazine sticking out of their back pocket. I've willing to bet that >90% of the population in general has no idea what an R32 is, and many domestic car guys as well.

Import folks start to get a bit isolated, IMO. I have to laugh when I see comments on here about how "stupid" someone is because they didn't know what an intercooler is, etc. They're not stupid, they just don't care.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon