VW R32 vs. WRX/STi - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW R32 vs. WRX/STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by ZACK777 Hey Im trying to sell them a Subaru but she don't like what she has driven ...

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    Hey Im trying to sell them a Subaru but she don't like what she has driven yet, They did test drive a new Tribeca but she said it felt too big, I guess the new forester is the last chance Ive got for having a friend with a suby
    Does he have any say in the matter?

Now that I think about it, "WAPCE" kind of sounds like the noise a whip makes when it's cracked.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    Does he have any say in the matter?

Now that I think about it, "WAPCE" kind of sounds like the noise a whip makes when it's cracked.
    He has turned away from a number of cars she has shown interest in like Dodge Nitro, Honda Element, and a few others, He said I want an AWD with a little bit of room and some power, but my wife has to approve, soo I guess he has very little say in the matter
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    He has turned away from a number of cars she has shown interest in like Dodge Nitro, Honda Element, and a few others, He said I want an AWD with a little bit of room and some power, but my wife has to approve, soo I guess he has very little say in the matter
    The 08 Forrester Sport XT is an awesome looking car... I still don't like the 09 look at all. The 08 Sport looks like a smaller Trailblazer SS - which is an AWESOME car. I have driven the Trailblazer SS and absolultely loved it. It, unfortunately, was not in my pricerange when including the AWD option.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    The 08 Forrester Sport XT is an awesome looking car... I still don't like the 09 look at all. The 08 Sport looks like a smaller Trailblazer SS - which is an AWESOME car. I have driven the Trailblazer SS and absolultely loved it. It, unfortunately, was not in my pricerange when including the AWD option.
    I agree I dont car for the 09 forester, but my buddy seems to like the looks, and he said it has more ground clearance than the 08.
    He mentioned V8s but is hesitant because of MPG, I told him alot of the V8s out there get as good MPG as some of the V6s, like the Trailblazer SS 6.0L V8 close to 400hp but I think it has DOM (displacement on demand) which makes for some decent MPG, of course when your driving like a grandma or cruising on the highway that is.
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

wow, i must have the best wife in the world then; she stays completely out of my car's business (aside from cost of course).

can it fit the kids? yes.
    can she drive it? no.
    will it cost more than the mortgage? no.

go get em tiger (but seriously i could not imagine, especially as a car guy, my wife telling me i can't buy something within reason)
    Last edited by yo vanilla; 02-08-2008 at 09:40 AM.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
    wow, i must have the best wife in the world then; she stays completely out of my car's business (aside from cost of course).

can it fit the kids? yes.
    can she drive it? no.
    will it cost more than the mortgage? no.

go get em tiger (but seriously i could not imagine, especially as a car guy, my wife telling me i can't buy something within reason)
    I have only meet his wife once at a party, and she seemed like the type that would have his azz whiped (CRACK!) she may be hot but I could never have married someone that is a control freak. My wife is great too, only thing she complains about is how loud my car is, now that I have a complete Header back exhaust on it and I lost the silencer so everytime we go out we usually drive her accord
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

I never understood why someone would let their wife dictate which car they buy (presuming relative price stays consistant throughout each option).

If you want a Z06 and the wife says "no" because it costs $70k and you just don't have the money, etc.. etc.. that is understandable.

But the R32/WRX/STI are all around the same price and he is the one driving it so why the hell does it matter what she thinks?
    If that's something that is associate with marriage, i'll pass thank you very much.
    Luckily my current s/o is into cars
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I never understood why someone would let their wife dictate which car they buy (presuming relative price stays consistant throughout each option).

If you want a Z06 and the wife says "no" because it costs $70k and you just don't have the money, etc.. etc.. that is understandable.

But the R32/WRX/STI are all around the same price and he is the one driving it so why the hell does it matter what she thinks?
    If that's something that is associate with marriage, i'll pass thank you very much.
    Luckily my current s/o is into cars
    Eh, it's more complicated than you think. If you and your wife have 3 kids, and you want a car that won't fit them safely (remember, car seats take up quite a bit of room, kids are required in some states to be in the back seat when there is one, etc...), it becomes a family matter, because now you're basically incapable of transporting kids when needed. Once your kids are school aged, logistics starts to rule your life.

If your family's budget won't allow you to purchase a $30K+ car responsibly, then price also becomes a factor. It's difficult to get past, but in most marriages, "your money" is no longer "your money" in the same sense. But then you've heard me rant in the past.

Agreed that within these boundaries, the SO shouldn't be able to strongarm you into buying what she wants, especially not if you're a car enthusiast. Thankfully, my wife knows better.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Eh, it's more complicated than you think. If you and your wife have 3 kids, and you want a car that won't fit them safely (remember, car seats take up quite a bit of room, kids are required in some states to be in the back seat when there is one, etc...), it becomes a family matter, because now you're basically incapable of transporting kids when needed. Once your kids are school aged, logistics starts to rule your life.

If your family's budget won't allow you to purchase a $30K+ car responsibly, then price also becomes a factor. It's difficult to get past, but in most marriages, "your money" is no longer "your money" in the same sense. But then you've heard me rant in the past.

Agreed that within these boundaries, the SO shouldn't be able to strongarm you into buying what she wants, especially not if you're a car enthusiast. Thankfully, my wife knows better.
    I totally get what you're saying and I agree 100%.

But my post was more in response to the OP's friend. His wife wants him to consider a car that is priced just the same as the car he wants... and it's not like he is trying to pick up a 2-seater or anything. The STI/WRX are 4door cars and the R32 while being a 2door has tons of room in the rear (more than a wrx actually).

I am not sure how to entirely convey my point at the moment, but I get what you're saying... If you have a family you pass on the vette and get the camry. But if the car your wife wants you to get is priced the same as the car you want, and the car you want could reasonably transport a family of 3 or 4, why not?
    Of course it might be a bit more difficult putting a child in the rear seat of a wrx or R32, but in the end it still works, the safety of the child is not comprimised, you haven't spent more money and you own a car you enjoy. Seems like a fair compromise to me
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    I agree I dont car for the 09 forester, but my buddy seems to like the looks, and he said it has more ground clearance than the 08.
    He mentioned V8s but is hesitant because of MPG, I told him alot of the V8s out there get as good MPG as some of the V6s, like the Trailblazer SS 6.0L V8 close to 400hp but I think it has DOM (displacement on demand) which makes for some decent MPG, of course when your driving like a grandma or cruising on the highway that is.
    The TrailBlazer SS's LS2 doesn't have displacement on demand. MPG is something like 12/16 - city/highway...
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Of course it might be a bit more difficult putting a child in the rear seat of a wrx or R32, but in the end it still works, the safety of the child is not comprimised, you haven't spent more money and you own a car you enjoy. Seems like a fair compromise to me
    I think we agree. Nuff said.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    i think you made their point. perhaps if they had something other than VW's they'd not have needed all those parts in the first place.

well i can't argue with you there lol
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

R32's are nice but to pricey to mod my buddy has one and he couldnt keep up with my wrx, but they do launch very nasty

I actually currently drive a 06 GTI and am looking for an 06 WRX. anyways, everytihng that was stated was pretty much on point(other then the people who dont like to work on their cars and are collar poppers, thats BS). The R32 may have 250hp but is only putting down 185-195awhp and tq is right around 200-210awtq(if that), so I can see a WRX walking a R32(06+) easy since the R32 weighs a ton. Now as far as refinement the WRX or STI really cant touch the R, they are incredible cars that come with every minor to major feature you can imagine. They are very well built, classy and have the "umph" you need in everyday driving. By no means is the R32 a straight line champ but it WILL most def. hold its own on the autoX track. I wish the R32 didnt come with only DSG and the Halidex AWD(primarily FWD unless senses loss of traction). As far as looks go with the R32, it is one of the hottest hatches out there. They are in no way cheap, flimsy or not put together well. If you have had bad experiences then you were a unfortunate one(it comes with every car, not ALL of them will be up to par including subies). The DSG with Launch control will launch better then 90% of the manual drivers out there(if not more), the DSG system is an amazing peformer(gotta love the paddle shifters too hehe). Anyways, just wanted to throw my .02cents in. Im looking forward to the vast knowledge and insight you all have into subarus as I hope to get mine very soon.

P.S. GTI's arent that bad either. With Stage 2 software, DP, Intake you can have a 240whp 270-280wtq FWD commuter. not too shabby if you ask me(please dont hate me hehe). But nothing will ever beat an AWD turbo, WRX/STI FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by julito04 View Post
    I actually currently drive a 06 GTI and am looking for an 06 WRX. anyways, everytihng that was stated was pretty much on point(other then the people who dont like to work on their cars and are collar poppers, thats BS). The R32 may have 250hp but is only putting down 185-195awhp and tq is right around 200-210awtq(if that), so I can see a WRX walking a R32(06+) easy since the R32 weighs a ton. Now as far as refinement the WRX or STI really cant touch the R, they are incredible cars that come with every minor to major feature you can imagine. They are very well built, classy and have the "umph" you need in everyday driving. By no means is the R32 a straight line champ but it WILL most def. hold its own on the autoX track. I wish the R32 didnt come with only DSG and the Halidex AWD(primarily FWD unless senses loss of traction). As far as looks go with the R32, it is one of the hottest hatches out there. They are in no way cheap, flimsy or not put together well. If you have had bad experiences then you were a unfortunate one(it comes with every car, not ALL of them will be up to par including subies). The DSG with Launch control will launch better then 90% of the manual drivers out there(if not more), the DSG system is an amazing peformer(gotta love the paddle shifters too hehe). Anyways, just wanted to throw my .02cents in. Im looking forward to the vast knowledge and insight you all have into subarus as I hope to get mine very soon.

P.S. GTI's arent that bad either. With Stage 2 software, DP, Intake you can have a 240whp 270-280wtq FWD commuter. not too shabby if you ask me(please dont hate me hehe). But nothing will ever beat an AWD turbo, WRX/STI FTW!
    Good rundown

So why are you getting rid of your GTI?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying