VW R32 vs. WRX/STi - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW R32 vs. WRX/STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Jeremy <3 Hatchbacks. Jeremy <3 R32 Jeremy kick himself in butt at least once a week for not buying R32 ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Jeremy <3 Hatchbacks.

Jeremy <3 R32

Jeremy kick himself in butt at least once a week for not buying R32 for MSRP no markup few years ago.

Now Jeremy sad.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    I have a good friend with an R32. We don't live near each other (both military) so we've never raced, but it's a really nice car. It would take a stock WRX without much of a problem. With VW though, it's really about the whole package. Interior and creature comfort is where that car shines. It just happens to be decently fast too.
    And one more time, it sounds really cool too.
    Their is a good vid on you tube of an STI vs FQ320 vs R32 on the motorway (england). After 3 honks doing about 60 all 3 floor it taken from the view of the R32, the STI and EVO both fly off with the EVO a little in front but the R32 is owned. I think the WRX would beat it too, it has a little less power than the R32s 250 bhp but the R32 is a heavy ****er at 1632 kgs vs the WRXs 1395 kgs (04 model). The 0-60 and 0-100 times back this up. WRX 0-60 5.6 R32 0-60 5.8 WRX 0-100 15.9 R32 0-100 16.3

The R32 would be a great car if it didn't weigh as much as a aircraft carrier.
    -Gary-
    07' UGM STi "Hawk-Eye Alliance #074"
    90' DA6
    90' EF

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    The R32 would be a great car if it didn't weigh as much as a aircraft carrier.
    Although, weight + a FWD based AWD system would make for an very good winter car.

And yes Big sky i think you should look at DSG again, it really is the way forward for blistering upshifts. It really comes into its own when you apply power.

I would still pick any STI over an R32 anyday

Jeremy you would not kick yourself when the warranty was up.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I drove the DSG on a A4- I wasn't impressed at all. Maybe one drive isn't a fair assessment? It adds a fair amount of weight too if I'm not mistaken.
    big sky why dont u try a GTI dsg heh
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ is the GTI a new design over the A4? I haven't completely wrote off DSG, just that the A4 setup was very disappointing
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

^ is the GTI a new design over the A4? I haven't completely wrote off DSG, just that the A4 setup was very disappointing
    I test drove the latest GTI with DSG and though it was still a fun car, I'd much rather have a stick. Stick pwns DSG every day of the week unless you track your car like crazy which in that case, the DSG would probably be the better choice.

they have similar powertrain/engine (probably the same) but i believe the a4 is slightly heavier.. so i thought maybe the gti is faster heh the DSG (the dual clutch, one clutch for every 3 gears) in the gti allows it to shift faster then a 6m of the gti.... and they have launch control in S mode which is neat
    Last edited by dragonwrx1; 01-07-2008 at 06:37 PM.
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

Banned
    Love the exhuast note, hate that it looks like any other GTI.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I looked at one in Burlington Vermont. Problem with (at least the 2007) R32 is how rare they are; at least in the northeast. The one the Vermont dealership had was moderately equipped (which equates to more options than are even available on Subi's) and the sticker was $35K. They don't negotiate on R32s at all (so they said) as they don't even have to try and get rid of them. Dealer seemed to imply they charged more than sticker.

To test drive it - they wanted a commit to buy so I can't say what it drove like.

Maintenance on VWs is expensive - I am very happy with my WRX.
    the r32s are having such a hard time selling now. pretty much anyone who is buying a r32 is looking at it as a fun tuner like car to drive. VW made the mistake of making the R32s come with automatic, making it more of a luxary car than a sports car. also, european cars in genral are a lot more expensive to mod. the parts just cost more. that is why people do more exterior/interior mods rather than performance. when you do add performance parts to it, though, it is a real fast car. its more of a comfort car than a fast tuner car though.

DSG != Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Rexzor View Post
    the r32s are having such a hard time selling now. pretty much anyone who is buying a r32 is looking at it as a fun tuner like car to drive. VW made the mistake of making the R32s come with automatic, making it more of a luxary car than a sports car. also, european cars in genral are a lot more expensive to mod. the parts just cost more. that is why people do more exterior/interior mods rather than performance. when you do add performance parts to it, though, it is a real fast car. its more of a comfort car than a fast tuner car though.
    I thought the R32 was available with DSG, not Auto.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Banned
    i could have sworn that the new ones were strictly auto... what ever, it still does not have a clutch pedal. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I thought the R32 was available with DSG, not Auto.
    if the car can shift itsself, that's what makes it automatic

(regardless of the technicalities) but to be clear the mk5 R32 is DSG only. at least for america.
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

Quote Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
    if the car can shift itsself, that's what makes it automatic

(regardless of the technicalities) but to be clear the mk5 R32 is DSG only. at least for america.
    that's why my dad wouldn't buy one.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

I prefer to "row my own gears" but facts are the DSG type is better.

Ok, so then acknowledge that it's an automatic without a torque convertor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

Advantages

* Extremely fast shift time of 8 milliseconds when shifting to the gear the transmission is expecting
    * Practically no power loss, due to the use of twin clutches instead of a torque converter
    * Better fuel economy than the planetary geared automatic transmission (due to lack of "slip" in a torque converter)

Disadvantages

* Lengthy shift time when shifting to a gear that the transmission did not anticipate (around 400ms, depending on the situation)
    * Relatively expensive to manufacture
    * Heavier than a comparable GETRAG conventional manual transmission (75 kg vs. 47.5 kg)
    * Greater potential failure due to complexity
    * Torque handling capability constraints limit after-market engine modifications
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals