VW R32 vs. WRX/STi - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW R32 vs. WRX/STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I dont have alot of knowledge on the R32's just what my VW friend talks about but heres my opinion: ...

I dont have alot of knowledge on the R32's just what my VW friend talks about but heres my opinion:

STi > R32

I really like the VW platforms, everything about them is nice.
    CGM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah R32's are nice, but rare and still pricey. I saw an '04 with 60,000 miles for $22k! They were all made in Germany and since there was only 4000 made had much better quality control. Their drivetrain as im told is practically bulletproof and can take one hell of a beating. They use a Haldex center diff too as opposed to the more commonly used Torsen diff used in most Audi's with Quattro. I'm wondering about the R36 coming out, that may be a bit more of a car to worry about.

Off topic, what center diff does the WRX use?
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT!
    2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    Very problematic POS. She's for sale!

i like the r32 but its just to small for me
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

VW R32 better fit and finnish ? I have had 2 VWs before my STI, including the R32 and I can say the car was a nightmare, while visually appeasing, the fit and finnish was poor at best if not horrible . Peformance wise the car wasnt slow but it wasnt fast either, I think a WRX is slightly faster and about 6 to 8 grand cheaper . The R32 would get eaten alive by a STI not even a comparison . Overall VWs are nut put together very well, they have one of the worst quality ratings of any car manafacture and the R32 isnt a car that escapes from that fact .

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
    VW R32 better fit and finnish ? I have had 2 VWs before my STI, including the R32 and I can say the car was a nightmare, while visually appeasing, the fit and finnish was poor at best if not horrible . Peformance wise the car wasnt slow but it wasnt fast either, I think a WRX is slightly faster and about 6 to 8 grand cheaper . The R32 would get eaten alive by a STI not even a comparison . Overall VWs are nut put together very well, they have one of the worst quality ratings of any car manafacture and the R32 isnt a car that escapes from that fact .
    wow
    welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Thanks for the welcome, brand new STI owner loving it !
    Last edited by Panzer; 11-14-2007 at 04:08 AM.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    You cannot base a "race decision" on a 1/4mile time database like that

I am going off of viewing numerous tests in mags, times at the track, slips posted online, and real life experience.

9 times out of 10 an R32 will take a wrx (regardless of wrx year).
    My point was - it is not as cut-n-dry as some other posts in this thread have made it to be.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

It will take it 9 out of 10 times if the car is not in the shop ! I repeat, I had my R32 in the shop 9 times in the first year . Keep in mind, I was stationed in Germany . VW sucks, plain and simple horrible quality and product controll .

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Booya View Post
    I'm wondering about the R36 coming out, that may be a bit more of a car to worry about.
    Ummm...it is actually called the R32 isn't it? And it is currently available for order on the VW website. Performance won't change according to the numbers (power/weight ratio) and there won't be a manual option. I wouldn't worry too much about it. In fact, according to a current R32 owner, in the "reviews" for the autoweek link I have below, he is stating the car will be slower as it go heavier with no appreciable increase in power. That little car actually weigh in at 3547 lbs!!!!! And to top it off, it has almost a 500lb weight distribution issue, with that weight sitting on the front end. Not good.

http://www.vw.com/R32/features/en/us/

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...73299428036212
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 11-14-2007 at 06:08 AM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have a friend who competes w/ a R32 in autox, he's a very good driver for starters so that helps immensely His car is very competitive in STX, there are getting to be more R32's entering the STX arena. I think with a little development, they will be right in the thick of it (as pointed out there isn't a lot of them).

We had the chance to weigh our cars at a divisional meet and his car weighed less than he thought it would (this is w/ some of the trunk stuff removed - they have no spare!- he also has nice light 17x8 wheels- evidently the stockers are very heavy) it was around 3200 lbs- about 200 lbs lighter than the listed curb weight.

He also frequents the same track days as I do (he's an instructor for PCA) the R32 holds it own on the track too.

IMO it takes a pretty nicely prepped WRX to hang w/ the R32, it would take a pretty nicely prepped R32 to hang w/ a STi
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post

IMO it takes a pretty nicely prepped WRX to hang w/ the R32, it would take a pretty nicely prepped R32 to hang w/ a STi
    Good summary!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Ummm...it is actually called the R32 isn't it? And it is currently available for order on the VW website. Performance won't change according to the numbers (power/weight ratio) and there won't be a manual option. I wouldn't worry too much about it. In fact, according to a current R32 owner, in the "reviews" for the autoweek link I have below, he is stating the car will be slower as it go heavier with no appreciable increase in power. That little car actually weigh in at 3547 lbs!!!!! And to top it off, it has almost a 500lb weight distribution issue, with that weight sitting on the front end. Not good.

No it's actually going to be called the R36.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/volkswa...36-ar7366.html

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswag...36-future.html

It has the 3.6L V6 which debuted in the Passat this year. Supposedly going to make around 300hp, still with AWD and VW's DSG gearbox. That gearbox is pretty amazing, a driver would have to be really good with a clutch to shift as quick. But even if the quality and reliability of the car is 2x as good as my Audi, I still wouldn't get one.
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT!
    2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    Very problematic POS. She's for sale!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Booya View Post
    No it's actually going to be called the R36.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/volkswa...36-ar7366.html

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswag...36-future.html

It has the 3.6L V6 which debuted in the Passat this year. Supposedly going to make around 300hp, still with AWD and VW's DSG gearbox. That gearbox is pretty amazing, a driver would have to be really good with a clutch to shift as quick. But even if the quality and reliability of the car is 2x as good as my Audi, I still wouldn't get one.
    I believe your information is a year out of date. The autoweek article I linked to is for this year....yours is from last year, and also notorious for overstating euro/german spec vehicles.

Besides...did you look at the VW link I provided? You can buy the NEW R32 now...not an R36. I believe this trumps all magazine statements yes?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I drove the DSG on a A4- I wasn't impressed at all. Maybe one drive isn't a fair assessment? It adds a fair amount of weight too if I'm not mistaken.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    You cannot base a "race decision" on a 1/4mile time database like that

I am going off of viewing numerous tests in mags, times at the track, slips posted online, and real life experience.

9 times out of 10 an R32 will take a wrx (regardless of wrx year).
    At the track I've only seen modded R32's which can dip well into the 13's with fairly simple bolt-on's. From personal experience, I used to have a Jetta so I still hang with a large group of VW enthusiasts from time to time. 2 of my friends have R32's, one stock and one with the EIP turbo kit (stage 2 I believe) but now it's been completely redone b/c EIP sucked so I hear (out of business). Anyway, I hung with the stock R32 from a dig pretty well. We never actually lined up (I was behind him), if he was faster it would have been a slow walk. The turbo R obviously would destroy me. The stock R32 got beat on the highway by a WRX (he wasn't sure which year) but it still had the sticker on it so maybe a 2.5L, my guess it was stage 2 by how fast it walked him.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post

I think the R36 was the concept Passat R-series. And I believe the Toureag's R-series concept is the R50.
    Last edited by farBeyondDriven; 11-14-2007 at 10:00 AM.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.