Stage 2 2004 Sti vs. Bolt on 1g Dsm
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 2 2004 Sti vs. Bolt on 1g Dsm within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I was dreaming and... I drive behind this blue 04 Sti, he seems not to care much about me. ...

Stage 2 2004 Sti vs. Bolt on 1g Dsm

So I was dreaming and...

I drive behind this blue 04 Sti, he seems not to care much about me. I see the right lane open up and the light just turns red at the upcoming intersection, so I said what he hell, I'll check this thing out. As I was looking the guy revs it up a little. Lol I kind of giggled a little. He rolled his windown down and I asked if he only had a cat back. He tells me TBE and stage 2??? lol I don't know what that is. He says tuning and stuff... so I was like ok. I tell him I got bolt ons and am still on the stock turbo. So we go from the light. I 2 step @ 5500 build about ~8psi, and he takes off a bit fast. First gear we are even, once I slam 2nd I pulled a car, and at third I was about 1.5 cars ahead. Then, I shut down.

Second light, we go from launch, which we were both even at, and after 2nd I pull again.

It was pretty fun He rolled his window and said somthing about how he needs a clutch...I guess we all need excuses when we lose to 16 year old cars...

I just gave him a thumbs up and turned around to make a drop at the bank for my work like I was origanlly suppose to. lol

DSM:1 Sti:0

I have a 91 Tsi awd.

Mods:

Stock motor/turbo/tranny/intercooler.

I'm running ~20 psi on 93oct.

Apexi N1 TBE, upper+lower pipes, 2g manifold, fuel pump, evo injectors, safc/wideband/chip/logger for tuning. Obviosuly missing some minor things..but you get the idea.
    Last edited by SlowPanda; 11-09-2007 at 05:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A stage 2 STi should be able to equal your car's potential - mid 12s with a good driver. You found out that this driver wasn't up to the same task. The STi's 6spd requires a lot of shifts compared to other cars. It's so bad that some owners try launching in 2nd just to avoid the first shift. At the track the 1-2 shift happens right near the tree!

The 2-step gives you an instant advantage off the line, especially against someone who may not have that much experience launching AWDs. Just like people in 2wd cars, seeing you get the jump means they start to panic and over-react, causing mistakes.

"Back in the day," nobody ran that kind of fuel upgrades with just a 14b. You're obviously set up now where a turbo upgrade will make a quick and very noticable increase in power. You're so lucky that good turbos for DSMs are also pretty cheap compared to Subarus - plus no rigid "stage X" mods, conditioning that every little mod requires a full ECU tune, the "if it costs more it must be a better part" mentality, and other issues that plague the Subaru modding community.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I'd like to say the STI driver couldn't drive, but it's hard to make that call. Have you taken yours to the track, if so - what were the results?

Once we know this, then a better judgement can be made on the driver of the (assumed) stock STI.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I'd like to say the STI driver couldn't drive, but it's hard to make that call. Have you taken yours to the track, if so - what were the results?

Once we know this, then a better judgement can be made on the driver of the (assumed) stock STI.
    I ran a 13.3 with a 1.7 60ft.

That is before I replaced the broken axle/differential with a 4 bolt rear end. And replaced the blown struts with Agx/prokit. I also added polyurethane bushings with a rear sway bar, and front/back strut bars. **** handles nice. But yea I haven't been to the track with the new suspension yet.

And just like I said we both launched hard, once I threw 2nd I pulled a car on him. I

Nice job on the win. DSM's are great cars.
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

I Support ClubWRX
    So lets see some pics of the STi killer. A friend of mine used to have a 91 Tsi years ago. It was my first introduction to the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    So lets see some pics of the STi killer. A friend of mine used to have a 91 Tsi years ago. It was my first introduction to the turbo.

ahhh i remember my DSM days had a awd TSI.....nothing to make those cars fast at all. free mods and a few bolt on's can put em in the low 13's high 12's
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Nice run, all factors aside, you won.

Friend of mine has a 2G with a TD05H 18g + other mods. It's pretty quick from what he's said, I've never ran him in my car though.

Good run.

Gotta love the cheap power that comes from DSM's. I came very close to buying a DSM on a few different occasions.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Nice ride man...i have a 1g TSi my self

I Support ClubWRX
    lol! J/k! my .02!

Banned
    Nice tsi

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    lol! J/k! my .02!
    You would wouldn't you.

Mod...ha

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPanda View Post
    You would wouldn't you.