08 WRX vs 90 Talon TSi
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 08 WRX vs 90 Talon TSi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, so my story is that i had a 02 WRX for a while which i loved, however due ...

08 WRX vs 90 Talon TSi

Hey guys, so my story is that i had a 02 WRX for a while which i loved, however due to some financial reasons i had to sell it and get something cheaper. Since i loved the adrenaline of turbo awd i wanted to stick to it, but my budget was only $5,000.

A friend of mine had a White 1990 Talon TSi AWD with a JDM Mitsubishi motor, fairly low km's, car was babied. It was in MINT condition inside out. He was selling it so i picked it up for 5 g's. The car has a 16g turbo with some other mods, light suspension work, brakes, exhaust etc...

He never took it to the track but said it should run low 14's...meantime he got him self a 08 WRX, im not gonna lie i prefer the older styling, but the car drives nice...so we decided to have a go. Were both still learning to drive our cars keep in mind.

We went on the highway first, 3rd gear roll from about 55 mp/h...by the time we hit 100 i was about 2 cars ahead. Then we went from a dig and at top of 3rd i was almost 2 cars ahead once again. I was very happy, as was my friend actually. I cant wait till spring to take it to the track, but for now il have some snow fun

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

your friend cant drive.

08 WRX is a low 14 car, if your a great driver you cant find yourself with a 13.9x

i bogged a launch with a 1998 Eclipse GSX (mods unknown) and still got him by 6 cars...
    2econd2none Performance

a modded tsi is pretty fast
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sik_WRX View Post
    your friend cant drive.

08 WRX is a low 14 car, if your a great driver you cant find yourself with a 13.9x

i bogged a launch with a 1998 Eclipse GSX (mods unknown) and still got him by 6 cars...
    At first I thought it was 06-07 owners....now I realize it's every wrx with a 2.5 liter.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    a modded tsi is pretty fast
    with the BIG 16g they are, this one has the stock 16g iono maybe its faster than the WRX but it would have to be running solid 13s
    2econd2none Performance

I Support ClubWRX
    I won't deal with straight line acceleration, but what I can say is if it's sorted (ECU caps replaced, balance shaft removed, no boost leaks, upper/lower intercooler pipes and/or aftermarket IC solution, injectors, fuel and timing control somehow, and so on) and if it actually runs (previous owner here) a 16G 90 DSM accelerates hard in any gear, hard enough to snap shafts or destroy what's left of 2nd (by the way, did either of you ever find 2nd gear? I sold the car without quite knowing where mine was...).

A WRX will turn and brake much better than the DSM and will also shift better, making it easier for it to be driven faster. The WRX doesn't just change directions and decelerate better, it has more suspension travel, so the rougher the tarmac, the easier it is to leave the DSM behind. Even the steering on the Subaru is better, it gives a better feel and isn't as vague.

The Impreza is the better car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    At first I thought it was 06-07 owners....now I realize it's every wrx with a 2.5 liter.
    and you are right
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

your friend cant drive.

Oh i forgot to mention my friend put the talon on the dyno a few months ago and made 262 hp and 266 tq to the wheels

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the driver of the 08' WRX.

The Talon is faster, plain and simple. A talon with those mods is capable of much better than low 14's, especially if it is pumping out 260whp. A stock wrx is only putting down 200-205whp and both cars weigh about the same with the talon being slightly lighter.

If anything, I would say the Talon is a low13sec car and you're having trouble driving it and should have beaten him by more.
    Learn to drive that thing and you will be putting 4-5 cars on your buddies 08' wrx.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the driver of the 08' WRX.

The Talon is faster, plain and simple. A talon with those mods is capable of much better than low 14's, especially if it is pumping out 260whp. A stock wrx is only putting down 200-205whp and both cars weigh about the same with the talon being slightly lighter.

If anything, I would say the Talon is a low13sec car and you're having trouble driving it and should have beaten him by more.
    Learn to drive that thing and you will be putting 4-5 cars on your buddies 08' wrx.
    Yeah like i said im still learning to drive the car, that was the first time i really raced it. Its a lot different than my old rex...the main thing i dont like is the tranny on the talon, its very stiff and hard to get in to gears, so my shifting is very slow. I need to work out my right arm in order for quicker ****s lol

with the BIG 16g they are, this one has the stock 16g iono maybe its faster than the WRX but it would have to be running solid 13s
    The "small 16g" is good for 12 sec timeslips with nothing else more than a full exhaust and a MBC. You can tell if it's truly a 16g if the blades look "doubled" - may need a mirror to get a good look at 'em. If it looks like a single set of blades it's the stock 14b which can still get the car deep into the 13s without much work.

You mentioned a 98 model so if it's got a stock turbo that's a T25 and it has no prayer of doing better than 14.0s. Oh, I'm sure someone can prove me wrong by a few tenths but that turbo SUCKS.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    The "small 16g" is good for 12 sec timeslips with nothing else more than a full exhaust and a MBC. You can tell if it's truly a 16g if the blades look "doubled" - may need a mirror to get a good look at 'em. If it looks like a single set of blades it's the stock 14b which can still get the car deep into the 13s without much work.

You mentioned a 98 model so if it's got a stock turbo that's a T25 and it has no prayer of doing better than 14.0s. Oh, I'm sure someone can prove me wrong by a few tenths but that turbo SUCKS.
    you are very right, i know a guy with another 1g talon, i think its a 1993...anyways he has a built motor, running a 16g turbo pushing 30 psi of boost...his best time at the track was 11.6@120 mph which is very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM__WRX View Post
    Oh i forgot to mention my friend put the talon on the dyno a few months ago and made 262 hp and 266 tq to the wheels
    well now that you mentioned this, i take back everything i said lol
    2econd2none Performance

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    If I understand this statement correctly, not quite.
    Teh 02/03 bugeye and 04/05 blobeye WRXs have 2.0 liter engines in them.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

well now that you mentioned this, i take back everything i said lol

Awd DSM at ~260whp is around low 13's high 12's.

A 16g is not a stock turbo. It is on the Evo's. But not on DSMs. A 14b with extra fuel and good suspension plus bolt on's will get you a 12.9 pass. I'm almost there.

A fully supported 16g, on stock block maybe with cams + tuning, should get you a low 12 sec pass

So if you drive a 16g DSM that runs 14's...pretty much go shoot yourself lol. Of course if the tranny is ****ed then you won't get far with the setup.

But a 08 wrx, even lightly modded should not touch a 16g DSM.

And 5k for a 1g DSM is kind of too much if you ask me. But you pay what it's worth to you not anyone else. I picked my up bone stock with 72K on it for $1600.

How many miles on it? Motor worked on? or just bolt on's with a 16g?
    Last edited by SlowPanda; 11-07-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast