08 WRX vs 90 Talon TSi - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 08 WRX vs 90 Talon TSi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SD_GR In my experience that doesn't go well. Even bone stock/unmolested? I've heard mixed reviews. I'm fairly ...

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    In my experience that doesn't go well.
    Even bone stock/unmolested? I've heard mixed reviews. I'm fairly new to the DSM world so I'd like to hear as much feedback on them as possible, good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I am by no means saying a 1G dsm is reliable, but they do not have crank issues. That is the 2G's.
    Many 2G owners swap the 5bolt motor from the 1G and it works out quite well.
    6 bolt is nice.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    Even bone stock/unmolested? I've heard mixed reviews. I'm fairly new to the DSM world so I'd like to hear as much feedback on them as possible, good or bad.

6 bolt is nice.
    A car is as reliable, as you make it to be. You take care of it and it takes care of you. Bone stock maintained DSM will be reliable. Once you start upgrading, you need to upgrade other components to stay that way.
    i.e. Launching hard all the time, will wear out your clutch and suspension, therefore you need those to stay maintained. I'm still on the 14b, running low 13's, but I upgraded my suspension and I have a 4 bolt rear end. My car is reliable at the moment.

All I'm saying is that it breaks down when you only let it break down.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPanda View Post
    Bone stock maintained DSM will be reliable... All I'm saying is that it breaks down when you only let it break down.
    As a DSMer you are of course familiar with the timing belt failures experienced by 1G owners still in the first stage of the warranty, the faulty run of 2G motors with crank problems, and the recurring issue with transfer case seals that failed and have resulted in deaths. Other show-stopping problems with absolutely stock, by-the-book maintained cars include leak-prone capacitors in the ECU that can short and stop the motor, gearbox issues, A/C compressor failures, an ambitious balance shaft setup that generated licensing revenue when a German firm used it on their cars but also generated maintenance issues for both Mitsu and the licensee (I won't name them to protect the guilty), and so on.

Given all that, I disagree with your statement that a well maintained DSM will be reliable. So do DSMs; they break down when they please, not just when the owners let them.

I do like several things about the car, it's not without merit. The 14b was a great turbo and very reliable (although in retrospect I agree with Mitsu in switching to a smaller unit in later cars, they did the right thing). IC placement was ingenious. Increasing brake size in later 1Gs was a great idea also. The front seats worked very well for me and the folding rears made the car unexpectedly practical, I've put furniture in it. Still, the reliability issues outweighed anything else IMO. The Impreza is a much more reliable car.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-07-2007 at 08:40 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I've heard of a few being reliable... However, the majority of them big problems. I wouldn't pick up one for my daily driver unless I had second car...Of this I am sure.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    As a DSMer you are of course familiar with the timing belt failures experienced by 1G owners still in the first stage of the warranty, the faulty run of 2G motors with crank problems, and the recurring issue with transfer case seals that failed and have resulted in deaths. Other show-stopping problems with absolutely stock, by-the-book maintained cars include .....
    Moral to the thread: If SD seems to take issue with what's being said, it's really best to just shut up before he opens up a can of knowledge on you...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

A little lost here, DSM? what does that mean? I can't seem to find DSM in Eagle Talon TSI or Mitsubishi Eclipse anywhere. It's so hard these days with all the cryptic terms for cars.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the driver of the 08' WRX.

The Talon is faster, plain and simple. A talon with those mods is capable of much better than low 14's, especially if it is pumping out 260whp. A stock wrx is only putting down 200-205whp and both cars weigh about the same with the talon being slightly lighter.

If anything, I would say the Talon is a low13sec car and you're having trouble driving it and should have beaten him by more.
    Learn to drive that thing and you will be putting 4-5 cars on your buddies 08' wrx.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by scenicroadways View Post
    A little lost here, DSM? what does that mean? I can't seem to find DSM in Eagle Talon TSI or Mitsubishi Eclipse anywhere. It's so hard these days with all the cryptic terms for cars.
    Where were you in the 90's?

DSM = Diamond Star Motors.

Diamond = Mitsubishi
    Star = Chrysler

Chrysler and Mitsu partnered to make a number of cars:

Mitsu Eclipse
    Eagle Talon
    Plymouth Laser

Mitsu Mirage
    Eagle Summit

Mitsu 3000GT
    Dodge Stealth
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    Where were you in the 90's?

DSM = Diamond Star Motors.

Diamond = Mitsubishi
    Star = Chrysler

Chrysler and Mitsu partnered to make a number of cars:

Mitsu Eclipse
    Eagle Talon
    Plymouth Laser

Mitsu Mirage
    Eagle Summit

Mitsu 3000GT
    Dodge Stealth
    Ok thanks, now i see. I knew about the partnering and all that, just never heard or called it DSM.

As a DSMer you are of course familiar with the timing belt failures experienced by 1G owners still in the first stage of the warranty, the faulty run of 2G motors with crank problems, and the recurring issue with transfer case seals that failed and have resulted in deaths. Other show-stopping problems with absolutely stock, by-the-book maintained cars include leak-prone capacitors in the ECU that can short and stop the motor, gearbox issues, A/C compressor failures, an ambitious balance shaft setup that generated licensing revenue when a German firm used it on their cars but also generated maintenance issues for both Mitsu and the licensee (I won't name them to protect the guilty), and so on.

Yea I agree with you but a lot of those problems, NOW that we learned them, can be prevented. Like the ECU, usually it gives sympotms like the smell of leaking CAPS.

I guess a lot of people do not do research that is critical with these cars. And are not into these cars as oppose to true DSMers that spent countless number of hours by fixing something that would not be worth it to many. Too many people blame the car and its reliability reputation and they give it a more negative one because they do not consider looking into the problem more. Like leaking caps that smell for a while but they did not fix them because they had no idea.

I'm just saying a lot of people make them out to be worse than they are.
    Last edited by SlowPanda; 11-08-2007 at 08:38 AM.

To clear some things up...like i said this car has never been tracked so i dont know what it will do, it might do low 13's i dont know. My friend said low 14's high 13's but he might be way off...the car pulls hard but the tranny on this car and 1g talons in general is very rough and impossible to do quick shifts like i did before especially in my S2000 (i owned one from 2001-2004).

Im still learning to drive the car so perhaps i could have pulled away further on the WRX with a bit more practice driving, i had the car for about 2 weeks now. Also i was shifting between 5,500 - 6,000 rpms and i think it redlines at 7.

As for reliability im pretty sure the JDM Mitsu motors are more reliable then the usdm ones, my friend has had the car for 4 years before he sold it to me and the only problem he ever had was a boost leak which is small potatoes. The car makes good power and is very reliable, my driveway is dry! Im really enjoying the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM__WRX View Post
    As for reliability im pretty sure the JDM Mitsu motors are more reliable then the usdm ones, my friend has had the car for 4 years before he sold it to me and the only problem he ever had was a boost leak which is small potatoes. The car makes good power and is very reliable, my driveway is dry! Im really enjoying the car.
    There are some good motors to be had, and many of the Japanese ones are in great shape. If the Talon digest is still around it'll have a boatload of info. Also check out Road Race Engineering's site, they are run by nice people.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM__WRX View Post
    To clear some things up...like i said this car has never been tracked so i dont know what it will do, it might do low 13's i dont know. My friend said low 14's high 13's but he might be way off...the car pulls hard but the tranny on this car and 1g talons in general is very rough and impossible to do quick shifts like i did before especially in my S2000 (i owned one from 2001-2004).

Im still learning to drive the car so perhaps i could have pulled away further on the WRX with a bit more practice driving, i had the car for about 2 weeks now. Also i was shifting between 5,500 - 6,000 rpms and i think it redlines at 7.

Glad to hear your enjoying it. I would recommend joining DSMtalk.com, DSMtuners.com reading over vfaq.com and other websites. All have so much info on these cars.

As for shifting I shift at no more than 6200 rpms because that's where my power drops off on the 14b. With the 16g I wouldn't shift past 6500.

just curious, anyone know the differences between the eagle talon tsi and eclipse gsx in the same year range?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by infox View Post
    just curious, anyone know the differences between the eagle talon tsi and eclipse gsx in the same year range?
    Body parts

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast