stg 2 06 wrx vs gt500 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on stg 2 06 wrx vs gt500 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Those cars are definitely beasts. I'm more of 1/4 mile guy so handling always comes a close second. Don't get ...

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Those cars are definitely beasts. I'm more of 1/4 mile guy so handling always comes a close second. Don't get me wrong, I love a car that handles great but 1/4 mile racing is what I do the most. I noticed a new Roush Mustang on the road the other day, we had some fun at low speeds so I didn't have a problem keeping up. 50+MPH and he would have had my ass. I hate teh WRX top end.

Edit: I just looked up the new Roush stages. Very similar to the past stages, this dude was most likely Stage 1 or 2 based on me keeping up with him in 3rd. For the price though, this Roush stuff doesn't seem very worth it...
    • Stage 1 = $9,000+ for rims, body kit and some other plastic
    • Stage 2 = $11,600+ for Stage 1 plus more plastic and suspension
    • Stage 3 = $21,000 for 430hp and previous stages

The list goes on, might as well get a GT500 and find a good aftermarket suspension. I know the Roush Mustangs handle good, but those are some pricey packages.
    Last edited by farBeyondDriven; 11-06-2007 at 09:57 AM.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My girlfriend's father is the General Service Manager of a pretty big Ford Lincoln Mercury Dealerships on L.I. A GT500 came in to his shop about 6 months ago b/c before the owner took delivery he wanted tints. After the job was done the car needed to be taken back to the dealership about 3/4 of a mile up the road. One of the service guys offered to make the trip (who wouldn't). Needless to say the jerk tried to take a turn at 65+ and wrapped the brand new beast around a tree...... totaled!! He wasn't asked to come back to work the next day and Ford quoted the dealership 8 months to get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I understand your point, but the weight that many of the aforementioned cars possess would keep me away as well. I was disappointed when I saw how heavy the GT500 was going to be. Kudos to Chevy for at least keeping the Corvette to under 3200 lbs.

Yes the Z06 is in that 1% of cars not getting fatter, which is completely awesome, and I do not like the weight of the GT500 either, I don't see why they could not make it lighter. But this is the current vehicle environment we are in, pretty much everything is getting heavier and more powerful, from the luxury cars to the commuter cars. It sucks, but at least, in most cars, we get 17 airbags and ABS brakes!

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    +alot

The c6 vette is $45,000 3200lbs and 400 hp and handles very well. The C6 zo6 is 500hp and 3100 lbs but is $75k.

In my area the gt500 is going for around $75k anyways, so the z06 would be a good comparison and meet your criteria Juice33.
    Yeah I can't afford a Z06 , but my point was that the Stang is not a sports car, it is a muscle car, so it will not be handling like a vette off the showroom floor, nor should it be expected to handle like a miata. For the price point, Ford went with a big engine (for a Ford), big power and a superstar nameplate, the car was menat for straight line pulls.

But when you can combine the (relatively cheap) modability of a GT500 ($2000 should get you over 600 RWHP) with a Vette's weight (well we all want it lighter than it already is right?) and handling, then that will be the ultimate tuning car. The GTR would have a shot at it if it didn't weight 3800 lbs and cost $80k (before insane markups).

Also, I don't think you can include dealer mark-up when compaing vehicles, it is not what the manufacturer intended, and it sucks that they mark up the cars so much because of the great Shelby name on the car. Also, have the Chevy dealers stopped asking for a mark-up on the Z06s? I haven't been paying attention lately since they are out of my price range. With all that said, I would take a Z06 over a Shelby, if both were marked up to $75000, no doubt about it!

Damn! What were we talking about again? to the original topic.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    Those cars are definitely beasts. I'm more of 1/4 mile guy so handling always comes a close second. Don't get me wrong, I love a car that handles great but 1/4 mile racing is what I do the most. I noticed a new Roush Mustang on the road the other day, we had some fun at low speeds so I didn't have a problem keeping up. 50+MPH and he would have had my ass. I hate teh WRX top end.
    "I live my life, a quarter mile at a time."

Sorry, but you left yourself wide open for that one.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

^^^

I said that in a post yesterday, I forget which one but I was cracking on someone too
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi View Post
    "I live my life, a quarter mile at a time."

Sorry, but you left yourself wide open for that one.
    "For those 14 seconds or less, I am free." --farBeyondDriven
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    With a turbo upgrade you could take him, however with a blower upgrade he would return the favor.
    More like a pulley upgrade (and a tune).
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

They didn't seem to put much effort into weight savings. Aluminum hood is the only thing I can recall.

IMO for $45K it should be able to turn. A Corvette will beat it in every way with 100 less hp too at the same price.

IDK what they did but the GT500 doesn't put up the numbers of a 500hp car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbaj
    IDK what they did but the GT500 doesn't put up the numbers of a 500hp car.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MopDQYVW2JI
    (Top Gear review of GT500)

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    I'm a little disappointed at Top Gear. They put the GT500 on the dyno, measure 447 rwhp, and complain that it's not making 500 hp "as advertised." How can they make such a fundamental mistake?
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    I'm a little disappointed at Top Gear. They put the GT500 on the dyno, measure 447 rwhp, and complain that it's not making 500 hp "as advertised." How can they make such a fundamental mistake?
    Yeah, I had similar questions when I first saw that episode. Surely one of those gearheads knows the difference between wheel hp and crank hp.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Yeah, I had similar questions when I first saw that episode. Surely one of those gearheads knows the difference between wheel hp and crank hp.
    heh sorry to get off topic but i think top gear likes to poke fun at american cars thats all.....
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonwrx1 View Post
    heh sorry to get off topic but i think top gear likes to poke fun at american cars thats all.....
    Well sure, that's pretty old news. Seems pretty lame to twist hp findings to achieve that end, though.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    If I ever see Jeremy whats his bucket from Top gear on the street, I'm gonna molly whop his a$$ just on GP's for giving Jeremy's everywhere a bad name, racist bigot giant douche.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    I'm speaking of performance numbers not power output. After the SVT Cobra fiasco Ford had I'm sure they are certain the GT500 has 500hp.

The 0-60 time at 4.9 is no faster than many 300hp cars for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.