FPGreen WRX vs FPGReen Evo8,ApexI ISAMU RX6 Turbo Kit Evo8, Bolt On/Meth/Tune Evo9 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on FPGreen WRX vs FPGReen Evo8,ApexI ISAMU RX6 Turbo Kit Evo8, Bolt On/Meth/Tune Evo9 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 06hwrx VID (brake boosting woohoo) how do you break boost? My friend was trying to show me ...

Quote Originally Posted by 06hwrx View Post
    VID
    (brake boosting woohoo)

how do you break boost? My friend was trying to show me in his boosted 350Z but it's not working out the way he explains it. and he can not do it in my car. is it difftent from car to car?
    his shop (STS turbo) by passed something so it can be done.
    2006 STi
    412WHP--407WTQ tuned by Bobby @ PRE in Portland

2005 R1 10.26 @ 129.4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MengHang View Post
    funny you should say the EVO engine was acting up. A friend of mine has
    an evo and his engine blew up!!!! Dead engine. Warranty voided. Bad engine? Too much boost? It's seem weird that EVO owners are blowing up their engines

Anyone else know of EVO owners that have blown their engine?

Are the engines that bad or are the owners that stupid!!
    ex Evo owner here... its called bad tuning... ran my VIII @ 23-26 lbs with no issues for danm near 20k miles. hey its not like the subies aren't blowing up look at the 07 STI's
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Quote Originally Posted by Novtec1 View Post
    ex Evo owner here... its called bad tuning... ran my VIII @ 23-26 lbs with no issues for danm near 20k miles. hey its not like the subies aren't blowing up look at the 07 STI's
    07 STI's problems lie within the stock tune...they are absolute crap. They run so lean that too much air can get caught in the Cylinder and actually crack a piston, block, etc. because it compresses and explodes where it shouldn't (Hill at Agile explained it all to me). There is a HUGE valley where Tq and HP drop right at 4k RPM on the stock tune, which is the hesitation people always talk about comes from, and this is where the map significantly leans out. So if you get a crappy tune on top of the bass and you don't start over and smooth everything out...you're screwed. Bye engine

Best thing you can do is take your time with getting your car tuned and make sure nothing is overlooked
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by speed13a View Post
    how do you break boost? My friend was trying to show me in his boosted 350Z but it's not working out the way he explains it. and he can not do it in my car. is it difftent from car to car?
    his shop (STS turbo) by passed something so it can be done.
    any manual turbo car can do it. autos will down or up shift with wot imput. anyway. pick your chosin gear 2nd at 40mph let say. which will have lag at first wot. if you floor the car with teh right foot and use your left foot to apply the brakes just enough to stop the car accelerating you will build boost while not accelerating. this is hard on the entire brake system as well as the tranny fluid as it will build a ton of heat. but doing it in 3-5sec bursts will yeild great results for little effort. in the way of 0 turbo lag when done correct. so floor it will while applying enough brake pressure to stop it from accelerating but not to much to start slowing it down. practice makes perfect. be careful.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    07 STI's problems lie within the stock tune...they are absolute crap. They run so lean that too much air can get caught in the Cylinder and actually crack a piston, block, etc. because it compresses and explodes where it shouldn't (Hill at Agile explained it all to me). There is a HUGE valley where Tq and HP drop right at 4k RPM on the stock tune, which is the hesitation people always talk about comes from, and this is where the map significantly leans out. So if you get a crappy tune on top of the bass and you don't start over and smooth everything out...you're screwed. Bye engine

Best thing you can do is take your time with getting your car tuned and make sure nothing is overlooked
    know this... fellow 07 owner here.

all in all, they both have problems... some more than others but i will say this, the evo does have a lot more room to play with bolt on and tuning wise than the STI.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

I Support ClubWRX

This is the first I am hearing of bad stock tunes on 07's.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    This is the first I am hearing of bad stock tunes on 07's.
    Really? I know some guy named Craig used to rant and rave about it all the time

Seriously though...you have NOOO idea how bad it is until you see the baseline mapped out on a dyno
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Really? I know some guy named Craig used to rant and rave about it all the time

Seriously though...you have NOOO idea how bad it is until you see the baseline mapped out on a dyno
    Really? I've seen that. 23x hp, 24x tq. Right about where it should be.

How do rumors get started again?
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    Really? I've seen that. 23x hp, 24x tq. Right about where it should be.

How do rumors get started again?
    And did you see a nasty drop at around 4400 in both torque and horsepower? How about AFR's were they around 14.7 right into full boost?

It's not a rumor that the 07 STI's tune in stock form stinks.

The car will run out of injectors on the stock tune in some area of this fine country.

There are so many emission issues trying to hold the car together it isnt funny.

Looking at end HP to determine the saftey of the tune isnt a safe method.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post

It's not a rumor that the 07 STI's tune in stock form stinks.
    But its not causing engine explosions as implied. (on stock engines)

This factory tune being bad is an opinion. Could it be different to maximize power? Yes.

On a recent "dyno day" there was an unmodded 07 that ran as a baseline so we had nothing stock to compare it to.

I guess i just dont get why people are slandering Subaru for the stock tune. It works just fine on a stock engine. As always, mods are best accompanied with a custom tune. Go outside this principle and what results may not be ideal.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

I Support ClubWRX
    But its not causing engine explosions as implied. (on stock engines)

This factory tune being bad is an opinion. Could it be different to maximize power? Yes.

On a recent "dyno day" there was an unmodded 07 that ran as a baseline so we had nothing stock to compare it to.

I guess i just dont get why people are slandering Subaru for the stock tune. It works just fine on a stock engine. As always, mods are best accompanied with a custom tune. Go outside this principle and what results may not be ideal.

There are atleast 3 blown stock engine. There are several others blown simple on a downpipe. While other years might have had some issues with running them they werent blowing simple because of it.

And unless you've driven the car it's near impossible not to be upset by the tune. Even if they arent blowing up they are horrible to drive. They are DEAD on it's face until atleast 3,500 rpm and then the throttle will flood. This isnt turbo lag it's a horrible tune.

On top of that there isnt such a thing as 50% throttle. The throttle wont go above 30% until it's depressed more then 70% which then it tells the ecu that it's at 90% if that makes sense. In other words you are either at 30% throttle or 90% throttle...nothing in between (have fun driving in traffic with that little issue).

And we havent seen many of them get in the 30k range yet with the stock tune. Just because the motor can take 10k miles with a few HORRIBLE knock event doesnt mean the motor will last for as long as it should.

The other issue is that 90% of STI owners have a horrible experiance with it (atleast the ones on the forums) and snag an AP to "fix" the issue. Thus it's hard to get a grasp on how large the issue is.

I will give you that the average STI owner probaly isnt on the forums, so I do take that into consideration.

Having a 14.7 AFR under full boost isnt logical to anyone's tuning standards that I've found. The motor might take some big knock events and be fine but it's hardly kosher to call that a stock tune.

Not to mention having the car max the IDC's on the stock fuel system with all stock parts....doesnt leave to much room for errror.

Subaru even admitted to the mistake as they offered their reflash. The only down fall is it didnt fix many of the issues (I believe they cant fix them due to emissions).

It is my personal hope that hopefully in 08 with the SI drive that the emissions will be ran off of another map and the "Speed" setting will be emissions free.

So you're going to go ahead and blame 3 broken engines on the tune? Could'nt possibly be anything else? Out of how many in service?

Working at a dealership for 10 years has taught me that sometimes things just break or wear faster than others. Everything you stated about the broken engines was an opinion, nothing backed by actual fact. Cars are sold with warranties for a reason. If you dont like the tune on the '07's I suggest you file a complaint with Subaru clearly stating their faults and what the solution would be. If they get enough complaints in a timely manner, they might do something additional. Otherwise you're just needlessly bashing the manufacturer of which this forum is focused.

I Support ClubWRX
    So you're going to go ahead and blame 3 broken engines on the tune? Could'nt possibly be anything else? Out of how many in service?

Working at a dealership for 10 years has taught me that sometimes things just break or wear faster than others. Everything you stated about the broken engines was an opinion, nothing backed by actual fact. Cars are sold with warranties for a reason. If you dont like the tune on the '07's I suggest you file a complaint with Subaru clearly stating their faults and what the solution would be. If they get enough complaints in a timely manner, they might do something additional. Otherwise you're just needlessly bashing the manufacturer of which this forum is focused.
    No...that's 3 that I know off the top of my head in a local area. I'm sure I could pull some more off of nasioc and what not. And I do realize engine failures happen in every kind of car and 3 isnt a large number.

File a complaint with Subaru? Gee if only I did...oh wait I've been there and done that. Dealership tech was ignorant to the fact that Subaru had issued a reflash. Subaru couldnt care and said take it back althrough the guy said he wouldnt reflash it because according to him it wasnt a "reflash" but rather a whole "ecu unit" which is a lie. And I fail to see how it's any buyers job to post what the solution to their tune is. It's not up to me or anyone else to sit around and tell Subaru how to fix the car's ECU mapping.

The faults have been listed. Subaru attempted to correct the issue which I could only assume was to the best of their ability and it didnt work.

Subaru watches Nasioc warranty claim forum. There are a ton of people who has emailed them. They have appeared to look into it as much as they are willing to do (hence their reflash they issued that STILL doesnt fix the issues).

There is a different between breaking a tranny in a wrx after launching it several times and bashing Subaru for that compared to what I'm stating in my posts. Stating that the car is a pain to drive and according to ever respected tuner that has seen logs of the car stating it's the worst OEM logs Subaru has put out is a different situation IMHO then the one you are trying to present.

I am not here bashing Subaru for anything that isnt widely accepted and known by several people. They put out a tune that is sub par for just about anyone's standards no matter what the HP and torque gains are.

Do I enjoy my STI...yes...does it have it's flaws....yes....Do I spend more time promoting Subarus then "bashing" them on Subaru related sites....yes...am I fan boy enough to sit back and not realize that the car has it's imperfections and willing to state what is widely accepted on 2 major STI forums as common knowledge over here...not one bit.

Thanks anyway and I guess I'm done. You have your views and I'll continue to have mine. At the end of the day I'm the one driving the 07 with all it's hiccups and tuning issues.
    Last edited by 302@12psi; 11-08-2007 at 06:43 PM.

I dont mind at all having a civil discussion with an "in the know" individual such as yourself. I hope that one day your issues are resolved to your liking.

For now, i'll be the one driving the 04, perfect when stock, even better tuned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12