07 WRX or 08 GTI? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 07 WRX or 08 GTI? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just went from '06 WRX to an '06 350z to an '07 GTI. After messing around with the GTI's ...

I just went from '06 WRX to an '06 350z to an '07 GTI. After messing around with the GTI's DSG launch control, I would have to say a stock WRX would probably be pretty even with the GTI.

A good launch from the WRX would probably cement a victory, but from my experience with the WRX, I had a hard time getting consitant launches.

The GTI DSG is super consistant. That said, an 06-07 WRX would probably beat an '07+ GTI in s straight line, but it will, by no means - "hand a GTI its ass."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tgwrx05 View Post
    I just went from '06 WRX to an '06 350z to an '07 GTI. After messing around with the GTI's DSG launch control, I would have to say a stock WRX would probably be pretty even with the GTI.

A good launch from the WRX would probably cement a victory, but from my experience with the WRX, I had a hard time getting consitant launches.

The GTI DSG is super consistant. That said, an 06-07 WRX would probably beat an '07+ GTI in s straight line, but it will, by no means - "hand a GTI its ass."
    + 1

most well driven stock GTI's I've seen hit mid 14's @ 95+.
    A well driven rex should beat it, but not destroy it as some have eluded to.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

A buddy of mine has a GTI and its quick... in stock form it definitely out handles my rex... but an aftermarket suspension on the rex would fix that. He got a reflash and an intake and it has a very linear torque curve that lasts throughout the rpm range where a stg. 2 WRX looses torque as it hits the upper rpm range. We've never taken each other on, but I know its no slouch. The tranny on the GTI is more up to abuse... my friend thrashes through the gears in a way that would kill mine.

Interior is very well-laid out in the GTI and is more luxurious in terms of features, but its plastics aren't great. The sunroof has auto-open/close and lots of electronic goodies, but the seats are not as well-bolstered as the WRX. the stock sound system in the GTI is not as good either, but it does have HIDs

The rex is obviously much better in bad weather.

We've worked on his car and the GTI is much more touchy than the rex when modding it... also the turbo is tough to get at. the rex is easier to work on for sure.

it comes down to what you like the most... AWD or more interior refinement... I still think the WRX is better just cuz is friendlier to work on and GTI parts seem to cost more.... in the end, there's only so much power a FWD can practically use.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 10-27-2007 at 01:21 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Both have similar performance (power-wise) and modability.

The GTi handles better, brakes better, and has a nicer interior and looks better IMO.

The wrx has awd and is more reliable.

Take your pick. I really liked the GTI with exhaust and chip that I drove. All around it was a much better car than a wrx.... HOWEVER, it gets annoying with first gear is useless if you go over half-throttle and that alone *might* be enough to push me towards the wrx.

BTW, considered the MS3? Priced the same and out-performs each of the above with a very nice interior.
    That would likely be my choice.
    Most reviews I have found suggest the WRX beats the MS3 in 0-60 and depending on the tester - sometimes beats in the 1/4 mile. All attributed to the AWD being able to launch the WRX better. Personally - I liked the Speed6 where you get the MS3 engine, with AWD. The weight slows it down for sure though. Interior on the speed6 is incredible with the Bose sound.

Subaru resale is much better than either VW or Mazda - by far. Comes close to Honda.

There was a comment about consistent launching... I have absolutely found that on my 07 WRX. I can't make any sense out of when it will launch well or not - doesn't seem to be dependant on environment or brand of gas..
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    I liked the Speed6 where you get the MS3 engine, with AWD. The weight slows it down for sure though. Interior on the speed6 is incredible with the Bose sound.
    Speed6 is nice (a good friend has one) but they are not as fast as the MS3 and do not handle or brake nearly as well. The awd and interior is pretty sweet though.

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Subaru resale is much better than either VW or Mazda - by far. Comes close to Honda.
    You're kidding right? Subaru resale doesn't even begin to touch Honda's and I cannot imagine a wrx (non sti) having better resale than an MS3 or GTI.
    People that paid $25k for their 06/07 wrx's with less than 30k miles are having trouble even getting $18,000 for them... and that's private. Most dealers are only offering in the mid teens.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.progressiveautosalesvt.com/

used car dealership where I live... check out the price for 05/06 used WRX on the lot.. Well into the 20s for having 30k+ miles.

Not saying I would pay that - just my resale comment is based on KBB and what I see locally here in Vt. Perhaps resale in Vermont is high due to the AWD whereas in southern locations that wouldn't matter.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

my friend has a gti and i have to say its pretty nice. its black and has the red lining where the grill is. looks really nice with that. it's quicker than my car (i have 05 4eat) but it doesnt have the boxer rumble! BOXER RUMBLE FTW!
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #524
    "Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.