Edmunds Video: '08 WRX vs. '07 MS3 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Edmunds Video: '08 WRX vs. '07 MS3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What's with all the tranny-knockers here on the 08? Have there been a lot of failures since it's been released? ...

What's with all the tranny-knockers here on the 08? Have there been a lot of failures since it's been released? My '04 Forester XT tranny has been holding 300whp and 325wtq for quite a bit with no problems. Now I know it has the 4.44s, but it's basically the same tranny...
    Jamie
    John 3:3
    XTi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vortmax View Post
    What's with all the tranny-knockers here on the 08? Have there been a lot of failures since it's been released? My '04 Forester XT tranny has been holding 300whp and 325wtq for quite a bit with no problems. Now I know it has the 4.44s, but it's basically the same tranny...
    A lot of people here are speaking from a streetracer/dragstrip dude point of view. I've had 2 "glass tranny" bugeyes, a stage 4 and stage 2, and have had zero issues....but then I'm a fairly gentle driver.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    A lot of people here are speaking from a streetracer/dragstrip dude point of view. I've had 2 "glass tranny" bugeyes, a stage 4 and stage 2, and have had zero issues....but then I'm a fairly gentle driver.
    Wow Ray...I didn't know you went Stage 4 in your first...what did you have at the wheels?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

i think people would like to hear that certain stock parts will withold anything dished out at it. it would be great to know that my stock transmission will withstand track days, and still be an excellent daily driver. but the reality is, if i want the full spectrum of versatility out of my car, a different transmission is inevitable, even if just to be on the safe side. no sense in using parts beyond their safe working limits.

has anyone seen the gear ratios on the '08?
    "I do well to be angry, even unto death."
    I ♥ rice

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Wow Ray...I didn't know you went Stage 4 in your first...what did you have at the wheels?
    Dunno...OTS Cobb 2.5 map with a VF34. Never got around to a tune.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

The trannies are fine. There are people running 18g turbos on the stock tranny/clutch with no issues. I had a stage 2 wrx with 86k still on stock original clutch tranny with no issues.

I think some of the ones breaking are just being abused. The ones we have had in here are pretty easy to see the abuse. the plates are blue, clutch fiber shredded everywhere, etc. -- and most of those are stock vehicles.

i drove hard in mine but didnt abuse the tranny/clutch, so it lasted just fine. big difference between driving hard and abusing the vehicle.
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    The trannies are fine. There are people running 18g turbos on the stock tranny/clutch with no issues. I had a stage 2 wrx with 86k still on stock original clutch tranny with no issues.

I think some of the ones breaking are just being abused. The ones we have had in here are pretty easy to see the abuse. the plates are blue, clutch fiber shredded everywhere, etc. -- and most of those are stock vehicles.

i drove hard in mine but didnt abuse the tranny/clutch, so it lasted just fine. big difference between driving hard and abusing the vehicle.
    im swapping a vf22, and will be running stock transmission/clutch for a little while. until i destroy it, though, ill be saving for PPGs. a first it was a daunting thought, thought i was going to shred the stock tranny within a few hours of swapping, but after seeing other people with similar setup, it boosted my confidence in the stock form. but might as well prepare for the worst, just in case.
    I ♥ rice

Quote Originally Posted by jma_1000 View Post
    im swapping a vf22, and will be running stock transmission/clutch for a little while. until i destroy it, though, ill be saving for PPGs. a first it was a daunting thought, thought i was going to shred the stock tranny within a few hours of swapping, but after seeing other people with similar setup, it boosted my confidence in the stock form. but might as well prepare for the worst, just in case.
    preparing isnt a bad idea, but i dont see your VF22 busting gears unless you abuse the tranny.

PPG or an STI tranny are both good options. I think i might prefer the STI tranny over the PPG set except for the damn DCCD wiring that goes with it.

preparing isnt a bad idea, but i dont see your VF22 busting gears unless you abuse the tranny.

PPG or an STI tranny are both good options. I think i might prefer the STI tranny over the PPG set except for the damn DCCD wiring that goes with it.
    i was considering that as well, except i dont think im a fan of the 6speed. i drove my friends STi, and i felt like i was shifting all day long. didnt play with the DCCD though.
    I ♥ rice

Quote Originally Posted by jma_1000 View Post
    i was considering that as well, except i dont think im a fan of the 6speed. i drove my friends STi, and i felt like i was shifting all day long. didnt play with the DCCD though.
    if you are going to do autoX or anything like that, the STI tranny may keep your car in boost more and help with the better ratio. also will help in any track days you do..allow you to keep in boost thru nearly any kind of turn.

more shifting isnt always a bad thing. just depends on how you will be using the car.

Well, when i look at the 08 wrx it makes me glad i got a 06... Thought to be honest it took a while for the 06 look to grow on me. When my gf is looking for a car perhaps i can sneak a test drive in the 08 to get a real inpresstion of the car. Pretty much all cars made by mazda, honda, toyota are all front well drive. If they where to make them real wheel drive they would suffer significant hp loss. So, IF they made the mazada speed three to rear wheel it wouldn't stand a change againts wrx and possible a na 2.5. Plus when you track a front wheel drive car you get pretty crazy over steer. Once the front wheels start to over steer good luck trying to go a different direction. One of the only rear wheel drive cars i can think of that is any good from iether mazda, honda, is either the sc2000, supera. Rx7, mazada miata with iether a turbo or a monster miata with a v8 in it. Oh, the weekness of the stock tranny in the wrx can be fixed pretty easily with a stage 1 or two clutch. And while you have the tranny out you might as well put in a light waight fly wheel. I did both to my rs and it was solid after words.
    Last edited by Havok_60; 10-02-2007 at 10:41 AM.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Umm... what?

This post is so full of fail I don't even know where to begin.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Umm... what?

--Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

This was about MS3 vs WRX.

Why has it become 2 pages of the wrx's interior and tranny
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar

I'm talking about '06+ trannies. TONS of people on here and NASIOC have shredded their '06+ WRX's 3rd gear. Sure they could be driving like a-holes, but who really knows, all I know is that everytime I turn around there's another "ZOMG I killed my trans" thread on here or NASIOC.

I definitely wouldn't say I abuse my tranny but if I'm gonna shell out the money for mods, I'm going to utilize them. I'm not going to slam gears all day but I will take it to red line at least once a day. What's the sense is modding a car if you're going baby it?

Quote Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Umm... what?

Ahahaha, +1. I think he spelled every car manufacturer and model wrong in that post.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast