06 stg.2 wrx vs M3 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 66

This is a discussion on 06 stg.2 wrx vs M3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by DTR rex They weigh under 3,200 lbs which is just as heavy (if not a tad lighter) ...

  1. #31
    Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Deptford, NJ
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    They weigh under 3,200 lbs which is just as heavy (if not a tad lighter) than a wrx.
    I thought I read somewhere the early model E36 M3's were pretty heavy. Can't remember where though, I could be wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    lol okay, you keep thinking that. I used to beat them off a stop in a stage 2 wrx and with a sti same thing, off a roll didn't happen till stage 2 sti. Oh and if by 80 he had 2 car lengths on you by 100 he would have even more then that and by 120 you'd be going backward, now imagine if you didn't launch how bad he woulda destroyed you, but this guy rolling off the line with m3 getting a jump caught up, right.
    You beat an M3 in an STI? Interesting. I always thought E46 M3's were slightly faster than an STI stock for stock, from what I've seen at the track.
    2006 Panty Dropper

    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User TurboWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    3,109
    Nice, I can't wait to run a wrx, Evo.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

  4. #33
    Luke Skywalker Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,611
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill View Post
    Nice, I can't wait to run a wrx, Evo.


    I fail to see how an Stage 2 WRX can beat an e46 M3...I mean with numbers and speculation it is all paper racing, but some of these numbers don't lie.

    M3s are torque and BEASTS in the top end...the launch might have the upper hand, but it should be soon lost.

    In the top end, M3s are a bit faster stock for stock against an STI...but it will take a little to get there. I raced one stock when I was stock.

    I can now pass them pretty well though
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  5. #34
    Registered User TurboWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post


    I fail to see how an Stage 2 WRX can beat an e46 M3...I mean with numbers and speculation it is all paper racing, but some of these numbers don't lie.

    M3s are torque and BEASTS in the top end...the launch might have the upper hand, but it should be soon lost.

    In the top end, M3s are a bit faster stock for stock against an STI...but it will take a little to get there. I raced one stock when I was stock.

    I can now pass them pretty well though
    Well I have owned modded Evo's and a Sti. I know there potential. I am stage one Dinan and have a cam. Fastest thing Ive pulled on so far was a new model S4. I think he was stock.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

  6. #35
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I thought I read somewhere the early model E36 M3's were pretty heavy. Can't remember where though, I could be wrong.
    Curb weight listed at bottom of article @ 3,175:
    http://www.motortrend.com/buyersguid...95_1999_bmw_m3

    Curb weight listed in middle of article @ 3,230 and 3,170:
    http://www.m3zine.com/index.php?opti...d=14&Itemid=45

    Curb weigth listed here towards the end @ 3,109:
    http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/HTML/bmw_m3_e36.html



    * * *
    I would also like to note that "light-weight" E36 M3's were produced (only 120-125 per year though) that only weighed in at 2,900 lbs.

    The light-weight is actually what makes the E36 M3 so attractive and why many Bimmer enthusiests (including my friends dad) prefer to own E36's that are properly modded over their more expensive E46 counterpart which weighs nearly 500 lbs more and is not nearly as nimble.
    An E36 M3 with a solid streetable suspension setup and some basic bolt on's is quite a driving experience actually.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  7. #36
    Registered User AwdTurboWrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    5,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post


    M3s are torque :


    TORQUE??? what torque lol, new e92 m3's wont even have as much torque as a sti.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

  8. #37
    Registered User AwdTurboWrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    5,792
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I thought I read somewhere the early model E36 M3's were pretty heavy. Can't remember where though, I could be wrong.



    You beat an M3 in an STI? Interesting. I always thought E46 M3's were slightly faster than an STI stock for stock, from what I've seen at the track.
    Like i said, off a stop i've never had a problem with a m3 at a drag strip, off a roll with stage 2 i beat them. I don't even remember the last time i raced nething.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

  9. #38
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,244
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Curb weight listed at bottom of article @ 3,175:
    http://www.motortrend.com/buyersguid...95_1999_bmw_m3

    Curb weight listed in middle of article @ 3,230 and 3,170:
    http://www.m3zine.com/index.php?opti...d=14&Itemid=45

    Curb weigth listed here towards the end @ 3,109:
    http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/HTML/bmw_m3_e36.html



    * * *
    I would also like to note that "light-weight" E36 M3's were produced (only 120-125 per year though) that only weighed in at 2,900 lbs.

    The light-weight is actually what makes the E36 M3 so attractive and why many Bimmer enthusiests (including my friends dad) prefer to own E36's that are properly modded over their more expensive E46 counterpart which weighs nearly 500 lbs more and is not nearly as nimble.
    An E36 M3 with a solid streetable suspension setup and some basic bolt on's is quite a driving experience actually.
    I agree about the e36 racing experience. Plus, the sound of the bmw straight 6 in a race prepped condition in unmistakable and very nice....I love that basso beat that seems to thump you in the chest on each cylinder stroke. They sound like they are on the ragged edge, and yet they just keep on going. I'm still way more impressed with an e36 than I have been with the e46.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  10. #39
    Registered User Juice33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    TORQUE??? what torque lol, new e92 m3's wont even have as much torque as a sti.

    Yes! 265 ft/lbs of ground pounding tourque!

    Seriously folks let's not get carried away here, the M3 is a sweet car, probably my next car (I am contemplating a sick on one ebay right now) but they are definately lacking in the tourque dept and are decently quick, but by no means anywhere near scary fast.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

  11. #40
    Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Deptford, NJ
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    Curb weight listed at bottom of article @ 3,175:
    http://www.motortrend.com/buyersguid...95_1999_bmw_m3

    Curb weight listed in middle of article @ 3,230 and 3,170:
    http://www.m3zine.com/index.php?opti...d=14&Itemid=45

    Curb weigth listed here towards the end @ 3,109:
    http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/HTML/bmw_m3_e36.html



    * * *
    I would also like to note that "light-weight" E36 M3's were produced (only 120-125 per year though) that only weighed in at 2,900 lbs.

    The light-weight is actually what makes the E36 M3 so attractive and why many Bimmer enthusiests (including my friends dad) prefer to own E36's that are properly modded over their more expensive E46 counterpart which weighs nearly 500 lbs more and is not nearly as nimble.
    An E36 M3 with a solid streetable suspension setup and some basic bolt on's is quite a driving experience actually.
    So they seem to vary between 3,109 and 3,230 lbs. over the years? I remember the M3 CSL or M3 Lightweight, bad ass but uber rare.

    Exactly what bolt-ons are you talking about? I've read the E46 M3 doesn't have significant potential until you go FI. Never really read much into the E36 M3's motor except a few articles on how great it responds to boost.

    I came back to this thread because I raced an E36 M3 last night and it hung with me WAY better than the last one I raced. I know they have great top end so I wanted to see how quick he could reel me in. I think it would have definitely took me from a roll the way he was up my ass when I took off. I was surprised to edge away from the last one I raced, I figure it was automatic.
    Last edited by farBeyondDriven; 11-06-2007 at 08:01 AM.
    2006 Panty Dropper

    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

  12. #41
    Registered User AwdTurboWrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    5,792
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    So they seem to vary between 3,109 and 3,230 lbs. over the years? I remember the M3 CSL or M3 Lightweight, bad ass but uber rare.

    Exactly what bolt-ons are you talking about? I've read the E46 M3 doesn't have significant potential until you go FI. Never really read much into the E36 M3's motor except a few articles on how great it responds to boost.

    I came back to this thread because I raced an E36 M3 last night and it hung with me WAY better than the last one I raced. I know they have great top end so I wanted to see how quick he could reel me in. I think it would have definitely took me from a roll the way he was up my ass when I took off. I was surprised to edge away from the last one I raced, I figure it was automatic.

    welcome 2 reality, now imagine what an e46 would of done and these guys claims.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

  13. #42
    Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Deptford, NJ
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    welcome 2 reality, now imagine what an e46 would of done and these guys claims.
    I've known the potential of the E36 and E46 (in stock form) all along. Like I said before, I was surprised I edged out the automatic E36. Also, I was the one questioning you beating the E46 from a dig stock in an STI as they're not that hard to launch and seem to get consistent very low 13's. As for the guy who says a Stage 2 WRX beat an E46 from a roll, most likely the E46 wasn't racing, was automatic or sucky driver, or all three.
    2006 Panty Dropper

    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

  14. #43
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,244
    I Support ClubWRX
    From a dig, an E46 will not catch an STi until well into triple digits. Been there, done that. frumaroll of around 60, it is very close, but the E46 starts to pull around 90. All done on a closed course with professional drivers

    I still remember my first track day with my buddy as an instructor. He had just purchased an e46 and couldn't believe how well the STi compared to it on the track. Once you learn the lines for the AWD and the way the diffs work, we both felt the STi was more fun, and was superior in the twisties (oddly enough), but that the e46 was WAY easier to drive at the limit and had superior top end (I could hit ~135 at the end of the straigh...he was into the high 130's, low 140's depending upon entrance speed).

    Dollor for doller, I would still take the STi. If someone were to offer me either one for free...it's a no-brainer...e46.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  15. #44
    Registered User AwdTurboWrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sun Valley,CA
    Posts
    5,792
    that sounds right for stock on stock. Stage 2 sti, bye bye e46 anyway u want it.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

  16. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    65
    So what does a Stage 2 WRX run 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
    and what does a Stage 2 STi run 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
    2008 BMW M5 (E60) V10
    2005 S4 4.2 L V8 Black (traded)
    2002 WRX- (traded)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •