WRX is comparable to what?? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX is comparable to what?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by heyitznosaj I believe that whether or not the civic si is in the some category as the ...

Quote Originally Posted by heyitznosaj View Post
    I believe that whether or not the civic si is in the some category as the WRX is all a matter of perception. While the WRX traps higher in 1/4mi. and 0-60 times, it understeers and rolls horribly from the factory. It is almost econocar suspension while the civic si understeers mildly but still maintains relatively good handling and comfort. Most assume that because of AWD that WRXs are superior handling cars but as most on the forum know, its completely untrue. The civic si also has excellent build quality and a sound system that makes the WRX's sound like someone is singing to you through a paper cup and string. Gas mileage is almost double of what what you would get in a WRX and I would not be surprised if insurance was also cheaper. Please don't put the WRX on a pedestal among the lower to mid 20k range because in reality, its not all that great.
    i'm an insurance agent and SI's are a symbol 20 where a new WRX is a 24.
    02 WRX is a 19 and 02 SI is a 20
    the higher the symbol, the higher the insurance...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting reads...

From where I stand in Vermont... I will comfortably driving the WRX in all weather conditions. The SI owners may have to call in sick when there is too much snow!

I agree with the feeling of perception. I just happen to prefer the rougher feel of the WRX versus the smooth Civic. After taking home my new WRX, I was actually surprised at how poor the radio was. Has anyone ever purchased the Subaru sub-woofer that mounts under the driver seat? Does that make the overall sound improve enough to warrant the $365?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Interesting reads...

From where I stand in Vermont... I will comfortably driving the WRX in all weather conditions. The SI owners may have to call in sick when there is too much snow!

I agree with the feeling of perception. I just happen to prefer the rougher feel of the WRX versus the smooth Civic. After taking home my new WRX, I was actually surprised at how poor the radio was. Has anyone ever purchased the Subaru sub-woofer that mounts under the driver seat? Does that make the overall sound improve enough to warrant the $365?
    my car came with the sub and no one complains about the sound really

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxisthebest View Post
    but the 300hp isnot whp(neither is the wrx) but i bet the 1/4 mile and 0-60willbe close to the wrxs and not the sti!
    Not sure what the figures are in, either WHP or CHP. But I will tell ya that, the Neon SRT-4s where indeed around 225-235 WHP. One thing people tend to forget is that our cars are AWD, not FWD like the old neons. What ends up happening is more HP losses through the transfer case vs. just the FWD axles. Granted, automakers tend to embelish a bit, but a stock STI vs. a stock Caliber SRT-4 is definetely a loss for the Subie, IMHO. Sure people can quote 0-60 and 1/4 mile times all they want. When it comes down to it, it all really is based on the drivers too.

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Interesting reads...

Definitely not worth the money. For equal to or less than that amount, you could purchase a set of aftermarket speakers and put them in yourself. (If your good at DIYs.) A friend of mine did this with his 06 and his stock headunit at "10 Volume" is equivalent to mine at "25 Volume" plus total clarity.
    2007 OBP WRX LTD
    Cobb Accessport v2 Stage 2
    McCulloch 5000K HIDs h7
    DDM Slim 3000K HIDs h3
    HKS Carbon-Ti Exhaust
    Whiteline 24mm adj. FSB
    Invidia v2 bellmouth downpipe
    Pioneer Avic-D3 w/ CD-I200 Ipod cable & CD-R55 remote

I Support ClubWRX
    Please don't put the WRX on a pedestal among the lower to mid 20k range because in reality, its not all that great.
    Have you found yourself covering ground quicker in another car in that price range? If so, did you buy that other car? I can't quite find a car that's easier for me to drive quickly than the Impreza for the money -- the suspension travel (front and especially rear) and the dampers allow me to take correct lines almost irrespective of what's on the surface (not rocks of course, but pot holes and tram lines and other irregularities). With a good set of summers on the Impreza is very capable. After all, it's taken five years for them to drop in overall competitiveness in the STxx classes in general, and autox is done on smooth surfaces (rallyx results have also been impressive).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You do have a very good point. My dumbass should have read the first post that specified that this is a comparison of performance.

I can not comment too much about the dampening over rough surfaces with the stock suspension because a little part of me dies everytime I go over a pothole nevermind going over one at a fast pace. I do believe that a civic si with a good driver will hold its own against a wrx on an autoX course (especially against older 2.0L) with its LSD, giant rev band, and that buttery smooth close ratio 6-speed gear box. But please don't count the Civic Si out in the comparison of a car as a whole. My last post was kind of a rant about fools that think that their WRXs are the greatest cars ever built by man.
    2007 OBP WRX LTD
    McCulloch 5000K HIDs h7
    DDM Slim 3000K HIDs h3
    HKS Carbon-Ti Exhaust
    Whiteline 24mm adj. FSB

My point was not to say that the si was better than the wrx. But to have such an elitist attitude that you would "laugh" at the idea of someone comparing an si to a wrx is ridiculous.

Which is favored is mere perspective, but the numbers speak for themselves in regard to the similarities of performance between the two.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Looking at results such as the ones mentioned here
    it appears the WRX is no longer the overwhelming dominate force in STX
    it seems the WRX is still competitive, although not still completely overwhelming, the German stuff.

As for the Civic, keeping in mind that I routinely recommend people buy a Civic, I still don't think the question is what a good driver could do with an Si vs. someone in a WRX. The question is what the same person could do in an Si vs. what that person could do in a WRX.

Who here is faster around a course in a Honda Civic than they are in the Subaru? And -- to gauge evolution -- is the current Civic Si easier to drive quickly than the RSX-S? Is the improvement as great as the later Imprezas vs. the early ones?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely not worth the money. For equal to or less than that amount, you could purchase a set of aftermarket speakers and put them in yourself. (If your good at DIYs.) A friend of mine did this with his 06 and his stock headunit at "10 Volume" is equivalent to mine at "25 Volume" plus total clarity.
    Any idea what aftermarket units worked so well?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

How about this to throw in the mix:

When the WRX released in 2002, what could it have been compared to? Was there any USDM car to really compare to the WRX in 2002? Obviously now, yes...but you can't tell me a 2002 civic (which didn't have an si model that year) was really comparable to the 2002 Impreza WRX. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't recall what brand exactly. I think it was a combination of infinity and kenwood. I may have exaggerated a little bit but seriously, after market speakers will blow away anything Subaru has to offer. Just read the reviews on crutchfield and shop around for good prices. My friend had to cut out some kind of enclosure out of wood when installing the speakers though.
    2007 OBP WRX LTD
    McCulloch 5000K HIDs h7
    DDM Slim 3000K HIDs h3
    HKS Carbon-Ti Exhaust
    Whiteline 24mm adj. FSB

srt4= hare

wrx= turtle
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by s0n1c View Post
    How about this to throw in the mix:

When the WRX released in 2002, what could it have been compared to?

At the time competitors were using the RSX-S fwd cars and the 330i RWD cars; the iX 3-series is very rare in the wild and rarer around autox/rallx events. The Impreza more than held its own.

Obviously now, yes...but you can't tell me a 2002 civic (which didn't have an si model that year) was really comparable to the 2002 Impreza WRX. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The hatchback Si 3-door and the bugeye Subaru coexisted.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    At the time competitors were using the RSX-S fwd cars and the 330i RWD cars; the iX 3-series is very rare in the wild and rarer around autox/rallx events. The Impreza more than held its own.

The hatchback Si 3-door and the bugeye Subaru coexisted.
    +1 there was def a Civic Si in 2002, i insure one...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.