03 WRX vs 05 Civic SI
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03 WRX vs 05 Civic SI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Alright, so i have this friend with a 05 Civic SI with I/H/E. i have an 030 WRX with STI ...

03 WRX vs 05 Civic SI

Alright, so i have this friend with a 05 Civic SI with I/H/E.

i have an 030 WRX with

STI Top Mount
    Helix Downpipe
    K&N Intake

so we go next to each other we are about 20ish and i shift to second then we roll to like 25 then we both start to step on it. I ended up beating him but not by much, i barely beat him, i was on 3rd and started to pull away.

Now i have driven his car and it feels nothing like a WRX. I think there might be something wrong with my car, that whole night i felt like it was not running like it used to. I had just put new NGK Iridiums BKR6EIX 30 min before and reseted my ECU.

Now i know i could have taken him by alot more, i dont have my car tuned but still even if stock i should have won no prob. could it be the spark plugs? or is it that i started low on second while he was in 1st and i cough al ot of Turbo lag.

After that on the way home i would step on it but i cant feel the push back like i used to, even a few days before i killed a old Turbo CRX by like 4 cars.

any input would be appreciated.
    2003 WRB WRX. Stock. Samco hoses.
    soon Stage 2.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you reset your ECU it might still be learning so you won't be running at 100%. Also, if you've made some changes to the car, like the new spark plugs, just undo the change and see if it makes a difference. It's kinda the first step in troubleshooting.

You've made a change -> car doesn't run the same, soo.......
    Undo the change -> see if it goes back to the way it was
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

IM no expert on tuning but it seems like you have some mods that dont do much without a proper tune. Altough an 05 si has i belive 160 bhp so you should be able to walk on him.

20 in 2nd isn't an ideal starting point leave it in first next time or go from a higher roll
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Quote Originally Posted by xMDxWRX View Post
    20 in 2nd isn't an ideal starting point leave it in first next time or go from a higher roll
    yep
    'shifted to 2nd to quickly. Going to 2nd that quickly dropped the motor way back into the lower part of your torque curve.
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post
    If you reset your ECU it might still be learning so you won't be running at 100%. Also, if you've made some changes to the car, like the new spark plugs, just undo the change and see if it makes a difference. It's kinda the first step in troubleshooting.

You've made a change -> car doesn't run the same, soo.......
    Undo the change -> see if it goes back to the way it was

Yeah thats what i was thinking.

I also was running with no gas, my gas light was on.

Sometimes it feels like it doesn't push as much with low gas. Prob my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by RDB81 View Post
    IM no expert on tuning but it seems like you have some mods that dont do much without a proper tune. Altough an 05 si has i belive 160 bhp so you should be able to walk on him.
    yeah i know, im getting ready to do a tune, but im not expecting those mods to give me power if any.

but like you said its only 160hp, even with I/H/E he wont be pushing a lot of power. According to him 180HP

Quote Originally Posted by xMDxWRX View Post
    yeah, i know, when we lined up i thought we were going run it but we didn't right away so i started driving like normal and then we ran so i didn't down shift back to 1st. Im sure if i would have gone back to 1st i would have gotten a big jump.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 09-07-2007 at 02:16 PM.
    soon Stage 2.

Banned

Smile

Even without tuning for the mods you have, just fix the nut behind the wheel and you will have no problem. My last car was an EP3 with I/H/E and they are the slo. Slo, but fun. You should be able to run away from him from a roll or a dig. Even with I/H/E, 180 hp might be at the crank, def. not at the wheels from the mini-minivan.
    Last edited by mbs627; 09-12-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Next time, do the VISHNU trick after resetting the ecu, that might help

Also, that intake might be hurting you
    With a tune, you could've probably taken him a bit more.

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke209 View Post

I agree a tune would probably be in your best interest. However, the K&N Typhoon intake won't hurt you. It was probably a combination of you resetting your ECU (still learning) and starting off in 2nd. I have an '06 WRX and I almost couldn't catch up to a Sentra SE-R (not sure if it was a Spec-V or not) because I started in 2nd way low in RPMs b/c he caught me off guard.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I agree a tune would probably be in your best interest. However, the K&N Typhoon intake won't hurt you. It was probably a combination of you resetting your ECU (still learning) and starting off in 2nd. I have an '06 WRX and I almost couldn't catch up to a Sentra SE-R (not sure if it was a Spec-V or not) because I started in 2nd way low in RPMs b/c he caught me off guard.
    thats what i was thinking.

Nice car by the way, it looks sick!
    soon Stage 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke209 View Post

whats the VISHNU trick?
    soon Stage 2.

WRX with downpipe vs civic si with i/h/e and you "barely" beat him.... I don't see the problem here. Sounds pretty much what I would expect.

If anything, drop the intake, get an uppipe and then get a tune/EM. You will rape him at that point.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

sorry for the noobish question... but whats a "dig"?

Quote Originally Posted by xDoubleYouArex View Post
    sorry for the noobish question... but whats a "dig"?
    Dig = from a stop
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

thats what i thought, but i wasnt sure if itwas a dead stop (like in neutral no revving) or what...

thanks though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.