03 COBB stg II VS 06 STi (in fort collins)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03 COBB stg II VS 06 STi (in fort collins) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Pulled into the gas station last night to get some gas and a 06 STI pulls up to the pump ...

03 COBB stg II VS 06 STi (in fort collins)

Pulled into the gas station last night to get some gas and a 06 STI pulls up to the pump right behind me. I say to the guy nice ride and he says the same to me (but his is much nicer). We say a few more things about cars, seems like a nice guy and then both drive off. Later down the road we pull up next to each other first inline at a stop light. I roll down the window and ask him if he wanted to run just for fun. He obliges and says “your going to get smoked”. I thought to myself that was probably going to be the case, but I have never ran a STI and was always curious what the outcome would be.

Bear with me this is my perspective on the race. As I get tunnel vision and just focus on the road and shifting not necessarily the whereabouts of the other car.

So I rev up to about 4K rpms and when the light changes I rode the clutch a little to long (could smell the clutch pretty bad) but managed to get a fare launch with his front end at my front door. Through my 1st gear I pulled ever so slightly where he was back to my ~rear bumper. Because of his gearing he shifter before I did and pulled up to my front door again but after my boost caught up I started to pull again to where he was a little behind my rear bumper. After I shifted to 3rd I couldn’t see him in my peripheral vision anymore and because of up coming traffic I stopped at about 80 mph. He pulled up next to me and gave me a thumbs up and then parted ways.

I was really surprised and did not expect that outcome at all. I wanted to talk to him and ask if he drove well and didn’t miss any shifts because I need some reason for the outcome. In his defense he has a large guy in the car that looked to be at least 200 lbs.
    My only hope is if he frequents this board and can share his perspective on the event or some opinions from others that have ran a STI in a stg II wrx.
    <<<<<<<< LOOK AT MY NAME!!! lol
    COBB stg II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i had a similar out come with an 05 sti with an exhaust. we went from a 40 roll and we were preety even up till about 70-80 when we stopped.
    my mods are uppipe tbe cobbstage 2 l/w crank pully sti top mount
    vf22 Stage IIII wagon of DOOM

As the owner of a Stage 2 (Protuned) '03 WRX and an 06 STI, I call tell you there is no comparison., The STI is faster in every gear, at any speed.
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    2006 STU Pro Solo Natl. Champ.
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by jugger
    Bear with me this is my perspective on the race. As I get tunnel vision and just focus on the road and shifting not necessarily the whereabouts of the other car.

ok i stopped reading here....first of all WTF didnt that happen in "biker boyz" when they were in the zone, did you have any preminitions of lifes past?

ok im going to read on now...........ooooooh boy i like you man, that is pretty neat stuff!
    05' Crystal Grey Metallic WRX sedan

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWRXWag
    As the owner of a Stage 2 (Protuned) '03 WRX and an 06 STI, I call tell you there is no comparison., The STI is faster in every gear, at any speed.

feels faster and is faster are 2 different things. the 06 STi weighs even more than the 04,05, so a cobb stage 2 could easily beat one with a good driver on 93-94 octane. You are running on Cali 91 octane. If your protuned stage 2 was 93 or 94 octane, it would be much faster. Keep in mind his 03 WRX is about 300+lbs lighter than the 06 STi, and the wrx has longer gears. It is completely possible to take an 06 STi with a stage 2 wrx. Also, if you think about it, the guy with the 06 STi probably doesnt have too much experiance with his car yet, and the guy with the 03 wrx probably has mastered his.

nice kill!

I drive and race (AX) both cars. I know which is faster

Racing people on the street is no way to measure performance. Who knows - the other guy probably didn't even know he was in a race and was more intent on picking his nose.
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

i believe its possible to beat a stock sti in a stage 2 wrx, i also believe bad drivers exist. But thats' just my opinion. I also had both and my traps on stock sti were about 3mph faster and my 1/4 mile time was .3 seconds faster in stock sti. Sounds like guy layed off after he got into 3rd.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

I drive and race (AX) both cars. I know which is faster

Racing people on the street is no way to measure performance. Who knows - the other guy probably didn't even know he was in a race and was more intent on picking his nose.
    have you taken both to the strip? also, the wagon weighs more than the sedan.

i think a dyno tuned stage 2 on 93 or 93 octane will edge out a stock 06 STi.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    i think a dyno tuned stage 2 on 93 or 93 octane will edge out a stock 06 STi.

i dont, sti's on 93 octane have dynoed as high as 260whp,(more usual is 245-250whp) good luck getting a stage 2 near that.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxaddicted
    have you taken both to the strip? also, the wagon weighs more than the sedan.
    I don't do the strip (no offense to those that do). I'm basing my opinion on my butt and on the stopwatch at AX.

It is my opinion as the owner of the two cars, that the STI is a completely different beast power wise.

YMMV
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

I don't do the strip (no offense to those that do). I'm basing my opinion on my butt and on the stopwatch at AX.

It is my opinion as the owner of the two cars, that the STI is a completely different beast power wise.

YMMV

+1, i've owned both

and i myself have taken both to the strip. i also posted the difference in my stock sti and stage 2 wrx if you wanna read it wrxaddicted.

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    i dont, sti's on 93 octane have dynoed as high as 260whp,(more usual is 245-250whp) good luck getting a stage 2 near that.
    Exactly - my protuned 03 WRX got 226whp on the dyno. Stock STI's get about 240 on the same dyno.
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

Exactly - my protuned 03 WRX got 226whp on the dyno. Stock STI's get about 240 on the same dyno.
    You didn't really read this thread did you?
    Oh and Your STI weighs more than even your wagon does. In a straight line weight kills you. RallyX however, it can help you in the corners. He did however sya the STI guy had a fatt-ass in the passenger seat so that could realy make the difference. STI are crazy out of the blocks, and I don't think even a well driven WRX can hang with an STI's 1st gear!
    Bottom line, it's a good race! Mod the STI and the WRX is simply toasted.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

Taking into account weight difference...I say both cars are pretty closely matched. Therefore, I see no reason that a wrx can edge out an sti depending on the driver.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.