2003 WRX vs. 70' GTO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2003 WRX vs. 70' GTO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well last weekend we finally got a warm weekend here in Michigan. My dad buys and sells Muscle cars for ...

2003 WRX vs. 70' GTO

Well last weekend we finally got a warm weekend here in Michigan. My dad buys and sells Muscle cars for some extra cash so anyway he got his 70' GTO out Sunday and i was following behind in the Suby. We were cruising down woodward avenue which a lot of other people were doing also. and we actually caught a light. i turned to my dad and he said he wanted to go ( i Love my Dad) so I started revving up to get a kick out of my dad, and he revs the big block which put mine to shame lol. the light turns green and all i hear is his tires screeching and then ofcoarse you all know the outcome the Suby smokes the GTO from the stop.

Second race: we went from about a 35 mph roll and i still pulled on him very good i shut down around 65 and was probably about 3 cars ahead...His GTO isnt modified in any way its completely original ( brings in more money) so its not really a big deal that i beat him. but it was just fun racing my dad and having his eras muscle car race our Eras "Muscle car" if you will.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WRX is NOT a muscle car.
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

thats why i had it in quotation marks and said if u will...it is by no means a muscle car but it is what our era is more so interested in where as in the 60's and 70's if you wanted to mod a car it was an old GTO or GTX or Road Runner. It was an analogy.

my father-in-law has an old roadrunner just sitting there rusting. I want to take it and fix it up so bad. That would be so bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav
    WRX is NOT a muscle car.
    You did NOT get the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    I'd love to have a tree house for adults in my backyard.

Roadrunner....$$$$$

Hey if your father in Laws RoadRunner is all orignal and numbers matching you should fix it up those things really rack in the money...they are really sweet one of my favorite muscle cars.

and im glad someone understood what i was trying to say, i was starting to think maybe i worded it bad..

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalNuke
    You did NOT get the point.
    Then maybe YOU should explain it since YOU did.

I understand the analogy attempt, but it is innaccurate. The muscle car category of vehicles is still in production, and is still being modded, (heavily).

More accurate would be to say that the 4 cyl import mod crowd are today's hot rodders, (something that Carol Shelby said himself a year or so ago), because they are working a bit at a time, stretching out into unkowns in the quest for more speed/performance.
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Yes Carol Shelby did say that i believe at sema autoshow on speed channel right...well sorry i didnt use the exact words as carol shelby. but im sorry have you ever driven a 1970 GTO or a 1968 GTX or 1969 camaro z28/ss...if so you would know todays so called muscle cars drive NOTHING like the old muscle cars, the only thing in common is the V8 which are also all small blocks unless you want to buy a truck...ask any 40-50 year old man who loves muscle cars and isnt biased againts foreign cars and he will more than likely tell you that our generation is doing basically the same thing with WRX's Supra's RX-7's and yes new Mustangs and new GTO's as they were doing with their old Roadrunners, SS Chevelles, and Hemi Cudas and such, so im sorry i didnt use the exact term HOT RODDERS but im pretty sure you understood what i was saying yet you still decided to leave that comment.

So as thumpers mom in Bambie said "if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all."

Did that help explain my reasoning behind my analogy??????

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav
    Then maybe YOU should explain it since YOU did.

I understand the analogy attempt, but it is innaccurate. The muscle car category of vehicles is still in production, and is still being modded, (heavily).

More accurate would be to say that the 4 cyl import mod crowd are today's hot rodders, (something that Carol Shelby said himself a year or so ago), because they are working a bit at a time, stretching out into unkowns in the quest for more speed/performance.

Well, the WRX is a muscle car by a lot of folks' definition. It is based on a production vehicle and it has quite a bit more horsepower than the vehicle it's based on. Sure, the GTO, Mustang, and a few of the others are being built today, but that doesn't preclude the WRX from being included. And don't tell me that I don't know muscle cars. Here's a list of some of my former cars:

69 GTO Judge
    70 Mustang Coupe 428 SCJ w/Drag Pack (one of 10 built)
    70 Firebird Formula w/455
    73 Buick Centurion w/455

Lots of folks would disagree with Shelby and what he classifies as a hot rod. A hot rod is, by the strictest definition, a prewar (WW II) automobile that has been modified. Think 32 Ford Coupe or 41 Merc. I tend to disagree when someone says that a hot rod can only be a car from a certain era. I think a hot rod is any car that's been modified for more power, be it anything from a 32 Lowboy to a new STi. Heck, a few of my favorite projects wouldn't have even been considered worthy of doing, but I"ve made believers out of quite a few people.

But who cares? It's fun. Technically it's not a Muscle Car or a Hot Rod. But it's one of the best cars I've ever owned.
    "I drove like my mother in the first stage" Gigi Galli, WRC driver, Mitsubishi.

The point is that calling a WRX a "Muscle Car" is not correct. You might as well call a Civic a motorcycle. Or better yet, a Mustang a Luxery Automobile.

And if you will note, I was being driver/person specific. I never ever called any car a hot rod, I refferred to people as hot rodders... and since Hot Rodders have no specific vehicle type they are tied too, calling those who work with import 4 cyl hot rodders is appropriate.

Either way, you both just basically agreed with me, so why all the hate? If you read any of that in my previous post, then... well, what can I say? you don't know me?

No hate here. I was just pointing out that not everything in the car world, or the world in general, is black and white. So, the WRX could be called a muscle car. A muscle car is a category of cars, not a laundry list of certain makes and models.
    "I drove like my mother in the first stage" Gigi Galli, WRC driver, Mitsubishi.

ok guys totally off topic but i have my upipe and downpipe on the way and i was just wondering once installed how will i compete with the SRT 4???ill have just catless uppipe and downpipe and Apexi N1 exhaust no engine management. are they still going to beat me?

Sweet. I used to own a 68 Dodge Charger R/T 440. 727... that thing could haul ass
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Awesome yea i like the late 60's model Charger those look real mean...yea my dad just sold a 68 GTX with a 440 it had headers and different cams but i beat that car also...but the suby just doesnt have the personality of those cars ya know, everything is loud and shaking and when your inside youd swear the thing was a 10second car haha...but then my basically stock WRX pulled on him pretty good...oh well they can still do mad burnouts lol.

up/down pipe

You probably won't notice much diff. with the up and down pipe, I didn't. If you want to get put back into your seat when you hit the gas get an internal boost controller. I paid 650 $ CDN for mine and it was by far the best mod I put on my 06 WRX. I'm running at 10 psi right now and the car just flies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast