06 STi Vs. Lotus Elise
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 STi Vs. Lotus Elise within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well today on my way home I ran into a Lotus Elise and we went at it little bit, 3 ...

06 STi Vs. Lotus Elise

Well today on my way home I ran into a Lotus Elise and we went at it little bit, 3 runs to be exact.

First, one was a complete surprise for me as the Elise just took off. I was reeling him in, but then he stopped.

Second race was not a surprise, but he jumped on the 1st honk. I still reeled him in and kept pulling on him.

Last race surprised me a bit. Not, the start, but the outcome. Yet again he jumped on the 1st honk, and I reeled him in, but he didn't stop, so we both kept going. Next thing I know we are are way high up in speed and I was still pulling a little bit and in the end I had a good 2 and a half cars on him.

I was expecting the outcomes of each race to be much different. I would have thought with everyone saying the STi has no top end, that I would have lost. Guess the STi has some top end...

My Mods:
    Helix JDM Length Catless Downpipe - JDM Fujitsubo Catback - Ported Wastegate - Ported Turbo Inlet - TurboXS Up Pipe (Heat Wrapped) - Removed Intake Snorkle and Silencer
    Last edited by V8This; 03-10-2006 at 09:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Elise doesn't have a whole lot of top end power it only has a 1.8L. It's not really a top speed car at all its more just for acceleration and cornering.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

From Road and Track...

Engine & Drivetrain
    Engine
    dohc 16V inline-4

Bore x stroke
    82.0 x 85.1 mm

Displacement
    1796 cc

Compression ratio
    11.5:1

Horsepower (DIN)
    190 bhp @ 7800 rpm

Torque
    133 lb-ft @ 6800 rpm

Fuel delivery
    elect. sequential port

Transmission
    6-speed manual

Wouldn't a roll race be much better for it since, most it's power comes up top?
    2006 Subaru WRX STi
    Helix JDM Length Catless Downpipe (Heat Wrapped) - JDM Fujitsubo Catback - Cobb AccessPort With Stage 2 Map - Ported Wastegate - Ported Turbo Inlet - GP Moto Header (Heat Wrapped) - GFB 50/50 BOV - Group N Motor Mounts - Group N Tranny Mounts - Turbo Heat Wrap Kit

Installing soon... K-Sport Coilovers and Defi Gauges!

A very good kill, the power/weight ratio on those little buggers is nuts. They would be some crazy cars if Lotus would put a 200-220hp/220ft/lbs motor in them.

Nick
    Hummer Open Top
    Dodge Viper ACR

motors made by toyota, its a celica gts motor.. what they need to do is stick a supercharged tc/camry motor in that biotch.. that would put u n the 200/200 area to the wheels easily
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

fuel 2 weight owns...
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    motors made by toyota, its a celica gts motor.. what they need to do is stick a supercharged tc/camry motor in that biotch.. that would put u n the 200/200 area to the wheels easily
    They would do better with a subie/porsche motor with the lower center of gravity through the boxter. So if there was a motor swap it would have to be one of those.
    A supercharger/turbo wouldn't be a bad addition to the car.

Nick
    Hummer Open Top
    Dodge Viper ACR

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    The Lotus would probably slaughter the STi in the twisties, but I'm not suprised with the outcome of the roll-on race... Nice kill.

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by White Out
    They would do better with a subie/porsche motor with the lower center of gravity through the boxter. So if there was a motor swap it would have to be one of those.
    A supercharger/turbo wouldn't be a bad addition to the car.

Nick
    i agree, but given lotus' relationship with toyota, that was the best they could muster up.. but imagine a flat 6 and sum snails.. wow that would be unbelievable...the ariel atom still owns all!
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Quote Originally Posted by White Out
    They would do better with a subie/porsche motor with the lower center of gravity through the boxter.
    <clears throat> Its boxer.

It was me!

Well, I feel like an ass...to solve the mystery, I didn't even realize you were honking! I just installed my TurboXS intake, and was just enjoying the new sounds. Make no mistake, I knew my car didn't have a prayer. I was thrilled that it kept up the way it did, especially after seeing your mod list! FWIW, the only things I've done with my car thus far are an intake and an integrated V1 (which is why I didn't feel so bad about hitting the higher speeds!). I'm getting married in July, and after all the commotion is over, I was hoping to run up to Auto Europe in Michigan to get a Hass turbo kit installed.

As for the STi having no top end...the Elise has even less. To be honest, I feel like my turbo Jetta has a better 100+ acceleration. It's all about the cornering, and the launches up to about 50 mph in the car. Let me know if you'd ever like to meet up... Sweet car!

-Andy

Quote Originally Posted by V8This
    Wouldn't a roll race be much better for it since, most it's power comes up top?
    Absolutely not. As the speeds get higher, power-to-weight matters a lot less, and overall bhp a lot more. The Elise's measly torque + a pretty high drag coefficient means I'll have Charger Hemi's owning me 100mph+.

As for everyone discussing an engine swap, the obvious choice for the car is the Honda K20. NA, an intake, header, exhaust, and ECU reflash will get approx. 200 at the wheels. Plus, it has a transversely mounted transmission (which would eliminate your ability to cost-effectively mount a subaru or porsche engine). They can handle much higher boost levels, and are nearly indestructible.

As for my options, I'm not really in the mood to pay the ungodly markup that the Elise tuners feel they can charge for upgrades...I've been quoted as high as $20K for the engine swap + bump in displacement + turbo.
    Instead, I'll stick with the 2ZZ, especially since there's a lot more options coming out for it since the introduction of the Elise. Both ForcedFed and Hass Turbo make kits that are well-received...the only thing is is that neither have really cracked the Lotus ECU yet...the FF uses a Unichip and Hass uses Emanage. To be honest, I think something like Vishnu's Xede would be ideal.

I think I'm going with Hass, since his kit is $3K cheaper at $6K (remember what I said about markup?) and he uses water injection (Aquamist), which lowers the risk of detonation by a good margin. On such a high compression engine (11.5:1), I wouldn't feel comfortable running more than 6-7 PSI boost...which should net me about 250 at the wheels.

Anyway, sorry for the ridiculous multitude of posts, but you guys have a great forum going, and V8this, next time I'll have my window down and listen for the honks!
    Last edited by Irishfan; 03-11-2006 at 04:06 PM.

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Welcome to the club! I looked at an Elise before buying my current car, sweet ride.

*1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

You too! Holy crap!! How does the LS2 deal with the nitrous?

edit: oops, it's the LS2
    Last edited by Irishfan; 03-11-2006 at 04:22 PM.
    "The Cheat totally freaks out when he sees a bear holding a shark."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast