2006 STI vs. 2006 Mustang GT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2006 STI vs. 2006 Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a Cobb Stage II STI and I have a friend who just got a 5-speed Mustang GT a ...

Thumbs up 2006 STI vs. 2006 Mustang GT

I have a Cobb Stage II STI and I have a friend who just got a 5-speed Mustang GT a few weeks ago. I've been dieing to race him. Well we raced the other day. We did 3 runs from a stop.

1. I got a perfect launch and he said he had a lot of wheelspin (I couldn't see him ) and I imediatedly jumped 1.5 car lengths and at about 100 - 110 when we shut down I was about 2 - 2.5 carlengths ahead.

2. I bogged, he got a jump for a second and then I pulled 1 car length once I hit the top of second and he stayed about a same distance up untill 100 when we shut down.

3. I launched hard, too hard. I quickly slipped/dropped the clutch at 5k- 5.5k I spun all 4 wheels and it was revving at 6500 my tires were still spinning, in fact I was sliding into my friends lane Once I got moving, I was only about 1 - 1.5 carlengths at 100.

His car is bone stock with obout 2k miles, and I had just completed the install of the final part of my stage II setup (the catback). And I was getting 18.5 pounds of boost the day before (pre catback install) and I was only getting around 16.5 - 17 on that day. I'm assuming my ECU was relearning becuase now I'm getting 18.5 again. I'm not trying to make excuses, but I thought I would have beaten him by a larger margin.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

damn, that sounds to close. I destroyed a stock gt mustang off a stop with my stage 2 sti (minus catback). Never raced one off a roll. From your reports it sounds like you might have a really close race off a roll, or maybe even lose? have you ever gone to a track yet so we can tell what kinda times you've been hitting?
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

What RPM did you launch at? I think I need to work on it more. No, no track time yet, but I need to, I just installed my catback on Sunday. From a roll it would probably be pretty even, with me having a slight advantage at lower speeds. I'm was pretty surprised, I wonder how much WHP they have. I was guessing he's probably around 260 - 270 and I have closer to 300 AWHP and my car is lighter. Hmmmmm.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

i launch at 5000rpm, anything hire you have to much wheel spin and this is coming from track expirience. I can cut 1.7's with lower rpm launches and cut 1.8's when i launch higher. I dont think a stock gt should be a problem for a stage 2 sti off a roll, you just gotta remember to use your low end torque. For exampe, 25mph roll i'd put it in 2nd not 1st, for a 45 mph i'd put it in 3rd not 2nd. Best race would be 30mph 2nd gear roll, and a gt wont complain with a v8 and low end torque. Freeway races 60-65mph roll your better off being in 4th, trust me. M3's i've raced and a c5 stock vette i beat that way on the freeway. Just gotta use your torque and gear ration to your advantage. Also its good to redline 1st gear when racing off a launch and shift 2nd gear around 6500 and 3rd around 6500 so you fall in a better torque area. Best practice is at a track because you can expiriment and see the difference in trap speed and 1/4 mile time. I hit 13.4 stock with a 1.7 60ft time with my sti at a track where elevation is over 3000 and stock svt cobra's there only get around 13.3-13.5 also. Its all in the practice. Oh and of course, the tranny on sti isnt glass like some of the older wrx's were but your axels are at risk. Be careful
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

How are there already cobb maps for a 2006? do they have maps for the wrx's too?

Good kills. But like the R kelly before me said. You should be killing him by even more. With him spinning off the line you should have been like 4 cars out in front of him, I would think. Anyway, your buddy doesn't really stand a chance against you.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

my VF34 rex smoked an 06 GT with catback and a chip from a roll. just for reference

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Yeah that does sound kinda close. I was thinking it would be a lot faster.
    Got no religion; don't need no friends
    Got all I want and I don't need to pretend
    Don't try to reach me 'cos I'll tear up your mind
    I've seen the future and I've left it behind

Quote Originally Posted by ScstealthVR6
    How are there already cobb maps for a 2006? do they have maps for the wrx's too?
    Yes. They already have maps for the '06 WRX and STI. Go to www.cobbtuning.com for more info...
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    my VF34 rex smoked an 06 GT with catback and a chip from a roll. just for reference
    As did my. From 40-110 roll, 3 cars. 06 GT had I/E & a tune.
    '04 Impreza WRX - WRB/Gold

The 2006 AccessPort has a boost limit problem (which has been resolved):
    http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40910

Perhaps this might be what was affecting you? Now, you did say you were boosting 16-18psi, so this might not be the problem. Check out the link just in case.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    The 2006 AccessPort has a boost limit problem (which has been resolved):
    http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40910

Perhaps this might be what was affecting you? Now, you did say you were boosting 16-18psi, so this might not be the problem. Check out the link just in case.
    Thanks for the info, I'm trying to new map now. I was getting good boost, but not as much as I'm getting now. I want to race him again from a roll and see what happens.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleboi
    A catback doesn't have any affect on the 05-06 GTs, just for your reference. The stock exhaust is just not very restrictive. Changing it out is purely for sound, (contrary to what some manufacturers might try to get you to believe)...

Now, changing to a X pipe or deleting the cats, thats another story...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav
    A catback doesn't have any affect on the 05-06 GTs, just for your reference. The stock exhaust is just not very restrictive. Changing it out is purely for sound, (contrary to what some manufacturers might try to get you to believe)...

Now, changing to a X pipe or deleting the cats, thats another story...
    but then.... catbacks on wrxen don't do much either... it's the turboback that you want to start seeing the real gains
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Quote Originally Posted by jigga
    but then.... catbacks on wrxen don't do much either... it's the turboback that you want to start seeing the real gains
    I'm aware of that. My point is that saying the Mustang he raced against had a cat-back exhaust is saying nothing at all, that would be like saying it was blue.
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast