05 WRX Stage 2 vs. 01 Mustang GT w/mods
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 WRX Stage 2 vs. 01 Mustang GT w/mods within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was a little nervous about this one since GT's have pretty good midrange power but here is how it ...

05 WRX Stage 2 vs. 01 Mustang GT w/mods

I was a little nervous about this one since GT's have pretty good midrange power but here is how it went. I have a Stage 2 WRX (downpipe, uppipe, AP) and my friend has a 01 GT 5 speed with Headers, CAI, full exhaust, and 3.55 gears. We raced from about 70 - 120. We did it a few times and I pulled on him every time. It wasn't by much but by the end I had about car on him, at one point I was behind him in the same lane and I had to slow down a tad so I wouldn't hit him in the back . I was a little shocked but then I thought about it and the specs probably look like this. I am probably running about 270 - 280 to the crank. He is stock as 260, with his mods, I figure he is at about 280-290. To the wheels he probably has 20 to 25 hp on me BUT he also has about 300 lbs more then I do. Whatever the case, I was pretty happy with the result, he wasn't...

1 for me, 0 for everyone else...
    2013 WRX SWP

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice kill!
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

nice one. I too have a friend with a gt, his is much older though, about a '94 I think. I know the older gts have much less hp, but the thing I'm worried about is his torque. I'm afraid that his torque will give him a better launch and i wont be able to catch back up. Speaking of launches, i was reading the launch thread not too long ago, and i have some questions. Some people were saying that the best way too launch is to rev high and drop the clutch to let the tires spin a bit before you take off to keep your rpms high. Is it possible to do this in a stock wrx? I just wanna know before i go off and try to launch like this and watch my transmission go flying out of the back of my car. Right now i usually slip the clutch when im racing, but i know thats not good over time, so thats why im trying to find alternate lauch methods.
    black 2005 WRX @ 16 psi

Tsudo up/down pipe, HKS catback, Txs intake, Txs rfl bov, Perrin crank pulley, Txs boost controller, Autometer NV boost gauge

Quote Originally Posted by pjb2006
    nice one. I too have a friend with a gt, his is much older though, about a '94 I think. I know the older gts have much less hp, but the thing I'm worried about is his torque. I'm afraid that his torque will give him a better launch and i wont be able to catch back up.
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

AWD>RWD launch, haha especially if he has more torque, he'll just sit there spinning his tires.

Quote Originally Posted by pjb2006
    nice one. I too have a friend with a gt, his is much older though, about a '94 I think. I know the older gts have much less hp, but the thing I'm worried about is his torque. I'm afraid that his torque will give him a better launch and i wont be able to catch back up. Speaking of launches, i was reading the launch thread not too long ago, and i have some questions. Some people were saying that the best way too launch is to rev high and drop the clutch to let the tires spin a bit before you take off to keep your rpms high. Is it possible to do this in a stock wrx? I just wanna know before i go off and try to launch like this and watch my transmission go flying out of the back of my car. Right now i usually slip the clutch when im racing, but i know thats not good over time, so thats why im trying to find alternate lauch methods.
    The way I launch now which appears to be the most effective way (at least for me) Is to rev to around 2k then floor it to about 5k(you'd be suprised at how much more torque you make as opposed to just blipping the throttle) and as soon as it reaches 5k slip the clutch really fast(almost like just popping the clutch) just to about 85% bite point then let go of the rest soon after. This way I can chirp my tires and not bog at all. My friend in his evo just does the same 2k-5k rev thing and just pops his clutch which seems to work for him because his motor just makes way more power(to chirp tires) than ours do without bogging. I guess as long as you dont bog(bogging causes transmission damage) and chirp the tires a bit it could be considered a good launch? Im not much of a drag racer but Im sure some other people could chime in.

Ride that pony!
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

Quote Originally Posted by 13enWRXdr1v3r
    AWD>RWD launch, haha especially if he has more torque, he'll just sit there spinning his tires.
    More torque, less torque, it means nothing if you can't transfer the momentum from the wheels to the pavement. Wide, sticky tires + high torque = catapult launch... and the high low-end torque on a V8 like that properly managed can give a nice advantage... plus weight shift puts MORE weight on the drive wheels of a RWD car...

I used to have a 96GT and it was WAY slower than my 02WRX is.

re: 3:55 gears... my 05 GT came stock with them...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

"Some people were saying that the best way too launch is to rev high and drop the clutch to let the tires spin a bit before you take off to keep your rpms high. Is it possible to do this in a stock wrx? I just wanna know before i go off and try to launch like this and watch my transmission go flying out of the back of my car"

NOPE!

Slip the clutch quickly/smoothly

(do a quick search on launching a WRX)

Your gears will love you long time

SHotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

GT's arent that fast unless you put a lot of cash into it.A stock GT is really nothing to fear,and theres a lot of them around so whenever you want to run one you have a good chance of finding one.Im biased,im a Mustang hater.
    2004 GTO-black on black-M6

mods-K&N Aircharger / SLP mass airflow sensor / Nitto 555 DR's /Stainless Works LT headers /Gravana ram air hood / NGK-TR55 plugs/Magnecor 8.5 wires/SLP Rear Sway Bar/SLP Loudmouth/Spec Stage 2 Clutch/GMM RipShift

333 RWHP / 351RWTQ

I wouldn't say that. I stock 01 GT is going to trap near 100, that is alot faster then a stock WRX. I am not a big fan of mustangs either, but I respect their power.
    2013 WRX SWP

05 and newer GT's are the only ones you need to worry about with a stock wrx, even from a roll just make sure you are in the right gear.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

I don't agree with that. A stock 01 is going to run a 14 @100. A stock WRX is going to run a 14.5 @95. Sooooo, that doesn't look like a WRX is going to beat it to me, especially from a roll. I know that sometimes we can have blind loyalty to the WRX, but sometimes you just have to look at the facts.
    2013 WRX SWP

Quote Originally Posted by 05silverWRX
    I don't agree with that. A stock 01 is going to run a 14 @100. A stock WRX is going to run a 14.5 @95. Sooooo, that doesn't look like a WRX is going to beat it to me, especially from a roll. I know that sometimes we can have blind loyalty to the WRX, but sometimes you just have to look at the facts.
    I've pulled on that style GT's from a roll when i was a stock, maybe they were automatics, i dont' know but it isn't blind loyalty. I guess if you go way top end, like 110 plus i'd watch out.
    Last edited by zapman; 03-22-2006 at 09:44 AM.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby

my experience with the GT is that once you get into the higher speeds and rpm range with them they suck. i reeled one in without even leaving 5th gear on the highway and blew his doors off at 130. down low i think it would be alittle more of a challenge though. but dont ever get too cocky!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.