Subaru WRX Forum banner

just got beat by a 350z

4K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  soobienewbie 
#1 ·
yea we started from a roll at about 50+ mph, and its not like either one of us took it seriously, and yes i realize he has 1.5 liters more than i AND is rwd...but it still hurts...i wish i was in my friends S13, man that would have felt good.

i was picking on a new M3 one day in it, and the driver rolled down his window after 2 races and called me a bully jokingly...we had a good laugh

#27 ·
AwdTurboWrx said:
cobb stage 2 wrx and 350z are pretty much the same speed(unless its auto). Its just the 350z has linear torque so the kick in of a turbo car feels alot faster.
Exactly. My old WRX at stage 2 felt faster than my G35 because of the turbo rush, but the quarter mile traps were probably pretty comparable. A stage 2 WRX might get a better ET with a good driver, due to the better launch.

#28 ·
RayfieldsWRX said:
Exactly. My old WRX at stage 2 felt faster than my G35 because of the turbo rush, but the quarter mile traps were probably pretty comparable. A stage 2 WRX might get a better ET with a good driver, due to the better launch.
I would be inclined to say that a cobb stage II wrx would get a better 1/4 time then a 350Z with an average driver. I think really good drivers get the cobb stage II wrx into the 13.3-13.4 range, average drivers are around the 13.5-13.7 and poor drivers are around the 13.8-14.0. I think a good driver in a 350Z would run a 13.7-13.9 for the recent model years and a 13.9-14.1 for the first few years. As for trap speeds for cobb stage II wrxs i have seen it range from 97-103mph. i don't study the 350Z but i think they usually trap around 98 or 99 for the average, so the trap should be almost the same with the edge going to the wrx cause i have never seen a 350Z trap in the 102-103 range, even being rare with the wrx but i know someone on here ran a 13.3@103mph with a cobb stage II.

#29 ·
^^ I can't disagree with any of that...just trying not to do the "bench racing" thing too much. The truth is that if you go to a track, you'll see guys in Stage 2 cars doing mid 13's, and you'll see guys in Stage 2 cars running in the 14's.

#30 ·
This year's 350/g35coupe allegedly makes about 300hp with a v6 NA, with the 6 speed anyhow. That's not too shabby. Yes, its not rwhp, yes, it costs a lot comparitively, but that's respectable. And they weight a good deal.

Has anyone tried one past 70 for any good bit of time, or speed? I would be interested to know the turbo 4 handles a modern N/A v6 in the higher speeds.

#32 ·
saw a super clean white G35 6-speed on the freeway the other day...( lipped wheels, break upgrade, suspension, exhaust, skyline decals...) and what do i see behind the front airdam? a beautiful intercooler...id like to see how that felt to drive.

#33 ·
deadwithoutyou said:
saw a super clean white G35 6-speed on the freeway the other day...( lipped wheels, break upgrade, suspension, exhaust, skyline decals...) and what do i see behind the front airdam? a beautiful intercooler...id like to see how that felt to drive.
I saw probably the best looking 350Z i have ever layed eyes on 3 years ago at the local drags, it had some sort of body kit on it deep dish rims really low to the ground and it had either a greddy or hks twin turbo kit, not sure what one. The sad thing is, that he ran it at least 5 times and his best run was a 13.3.

#34 ·
Hybrid-X said:
02 bugeye wrx. Power mods = vf22 @ 18psi, all supporting fuel mods, ecutek, helix up and downpipe, gruppe-s v2 header, borla hush, etc. :eek:

very nice, stage 4ish wrx should definitely have no problem with a 350z. 350z is comparable to a stage 2 rex, a little faster or slower depending on driver. In my expirience it was a little slower.

#35 ·
lo_jack said:
Has anyone tried one past 70 for any good bit of time, or speed? I would be interested to know the turbo 4 handles a modern N/A v6 in the higher speeds.
I ran a G35c 6speed that had 350Z intake, plenum spacer, full exhaust (common mods for G35c) against my WRX which at the time only had up/dp combo. We ran from ~65 upto 110/115 on the freeway and I lost by about 3 or 4 car lengths :redface:

#36 ·
AwdTurboWrx said:
cobb stage 2 wrx and 350z are pretty much the same speed(unless its auto). Its just the 350z has linear torque so the kick in of a turbo car feels alot faster.
yes, thank you for bringing that up. I have driven both a 350Z and G35c in 6speed form and although they do not "feel" as fast as wrx that is only because the power is very linear and consistant and does not have that extra turbo kick the wrx does. The 350Z and G35c are both faster than a stock wrx and stage1 wrx though. It is just a different feeling of power.

#37 ·
DTR rex said:
The 350Z and G35c are both faster than a stock wrx and stage1 wrx though. It is just a different feeling of power.
And thought it's difficult to admit, it's almost a boring powerband. With my G it was almost like I kept waiting for something to happen; then I'd look down at my speedo and go, oh, wow, I'm already going 60. But it's not the same high that you get from forced induction.

#38 ·
RayfieldsWRX said:
And thought it's difficult to admit, it's almost a boring powerband. With my G it was almost like I kept waiting for something to happen; then I'd look down at my speedo and go, oh, wow, I'm already going 60. But it's not the same high that you get from forced induction.

+1

My friends Z doesn't seem nearly as fast as I expected. After he drove another friends Stage 2 wrx, he said that it feels fast but when he looked down he was expecting to be going a lot faster.

#40 · (Edited)
RayfieldsWRX said:
Precisely.

It is a give and take though. I like the pull once the turbo kicks in, but on the other hand, you have to wait for that power, whereas on the G and Z it is there instantly.
I think with the 350Z I expected more of a "surge" due to the whole "pure sport car" thing.. However, with the G35c 6spd I was pleasently suprised with how strong it felt... A car like that needs linear power to help retain that luxury/upper class feeling.

The argument is basically the linear, yet strong power of the G/Z and the no-low-end but nice burst from the boosted wrx. The way I see it is to just turbo or blow the G/Z and call it a day. Best of all worlds :D

This guy has the right idea:

#41 ·
DTR rex said:
Precisely.

It is a give and take though. I like the pull once the turbo kicks in, but on the other hand, you have to wait for that power, whereas on the G and Z it is there instantly.
I think with the 350Z I expected more of a "surge" due to the whole "pure sport car" thing.. However, with the G35c 6spd I was pleasently suprised with how strong it felt... A car like that needs linear power to help retain that luxury/upper class feeling.

The argument is basically the linear, yet strong power of the G/Z and the no-low-end but nice burst from the boosted wrx. The way I see it is to just turbo or blow the G/Z and call it a day. Best of all worlds :D

This guy has the right idea:
Sweet looking car but isn't it close to $5k for a turbo kit on a 305Z/G35?

#43 ·
Yep...upgrades that net any substantial gains on the 350/G35 are quite expensive. But I'll agree with what Donnie said; boost that engine and the combination of G luxury and hp would be awesome!

#44 ·
elohdaeh78 said:
Sweet looking car but isn't it close to $5k for a turbo kit on a 305Z/G35?
More actually.

However, with the TT setup's that are available you are looking at an easy 350-375whp and you can get a supercharger for the car for much cheaper than the turbo, it makes good power, and the power is very linear and quite reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.