VW R32 vs. BMW X5 4.8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on VW R32 vs. BMW X5 4.8 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; BMW X5 4.8 = 355hp VW R32 = 240hp (265 mine or ~230awhp) anyways, on the expressway, i see a ...

VW R32 vs. BMW X5 4.8

BMW X5 4.8 = 355hp
    VW R32 = 240hp (265 mine or ~230awhp)

anyways, on the expressway, i see a BMW X5 enter but i thought nothing of it. I get next to it and see a younger guy around my age driving. I start to accelerate slowly as i preceed to my destination. All of a sudden, the BMW X5 passes me full throttle, i downshift and floor it (downshift into 4th doing 80mph), the BMW is about 6 or so cars ahead of me at this time, and i get a pretty even acceleration with him right off the bat, after that i started to slowly pull on him till about 150mph when i was about 2 cars back and we both let off. I really hate it when others try racing by flooring it when ur not ready. Well, again, we came around a turne and got into the city, still no traffic. I slow down thinking he wont floor it, and from behind me he floors it... i just let him go. We catch up to a light as the expressway ends and we both turn right unto another red light. I look over, and he is pretending he doesnt notice me but is getting ready to race. It turns green, i see him take off... no problem, i immediately rev to about 3500rpms and launch it, my car instantly jumped (felt as if it got some air trying to get off the line... i love the feel of AWD) about 1.5 cars in front when i let off instantly. It was a waste to even try there after, he didnt come up next to me at all and turned off.

Its 1 am, there was no one on the expressway except oncoming traffic. I just really hate when drivers try to race this way, without notifying the other racer before racing them
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not to be mean or anything, but what do you have to prove to an X5 driver?
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

Quote Originally Posted by turbo9339
    first of all, it was the fastest X5 out there, so i just wanted to see how badly i could beat it. Second, i hate it when people try to race u without u even knowing about it, so i just wanted a little revenge. Nothing wrong with that.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo9339
    because daddy's little rich kids get to drive them and start racing real sports cars. when i had my WRX there was some 16 yr old in an FX 45 that would not stop hounding me

way to show him who's boss
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

I know for a fact that no 'stock' X5 4.8 can stay with an R32 until 150mph. That guy MUST have had some serious work done to his ride. Those X5's have the aerodynamics of a barn door which will kill their acceleration above 100mph...

I did some digging on C&D and they tested an X5 4.8IS back in their Nov '04 issue and this was the data sheet:

Vehicle type: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 5-door wagon
    Price as tested: $72,295 (base price: $70,495)
    Engine type: DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
    Displacement: 293 cu in, 4799cc
    Power (SAE net): 355 bhp @ 6200 rpm
    Torque (SAE net): 360 lb-ft @ 3400 rpm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission: 6-speed automatic with
    manumatic shifting
    Wheelbase: 111.0 in
    Length/width/height: 183.7/73.7/67.2 in
    Curb weight: 5090 lb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zero to 60 mph: 6.0 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 16.0 sec
    Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.4 sec
    Standing 1/4-mile: 14.5 sec @ 96 mph
    Top speed (governor limited): 128 mph
    Braking, 70-0 mph: 168 ft
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.83 g
    EPA fuel economy, city driving: 16 mpg
    C/D-observed fuel economy: 15 mpg

Link: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=8697

Note that the governed top speed of a stock X5 4.8IS is only 128mph. ellinopedo182 great kill!!! I'm sure you were playing with a seriously modified X5 that must have been making some serious power!
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

Quote Originally Posted by Chiketkd
    Note that the governed top speed of a stock X5 4.8IS is only 128mph. ellinopedo182 great kill!!! I'm sure you were playing with a seriously modified X5 that must have been making some serious power!
    really? 128? i mean, so is mine goverened at 128 but i have the chip that took it out, but he was still pulling at over 140mph (but i had closed that 6 car gap pretty fast). Momentum sucks, thats why when u race, the other racer needs to know too, or its pointless half the time.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500

plus, i barely ever race anymore, so sometimes u just got this thrill that u need to beat the #@(*$ out of someone who deserves it. God, im going to miss AWD.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    really? 128? i mean, so is mine goverened at 128 but i have the chip that took it out, but he was still pulling at over 140mph (but i had closed that 6 car gap pretty fast). Momentum sucks, thats why when u race, the other racer needs to know too, or its pointless half the time.
    Yup. The guy must have at least had a chip in it, but I'm sure he would have also gone with some kind of intake and exhaust upgrade as well.

You still thrashed him from a red light which was the only fair race you had. Good kill!
    Last edited by Chiketkd; 02-08-2006 at 10:34 AM.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

Take it to the track please
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz
    Take it to the track please
    tracks closed up here.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    first of all, it was the fastest X5 out there, so i just wanted to see how badly i could beat it. Second, i hate it when people try to race u without u even knowing about it, so i just wanted a little revenge. Nothing wrong with that.

They are't that fast to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilEvoVIII
    They are't that fast to begin with.
    Mid 14's @ 96mph stock is right where most average drivers of a stock '02-'05 WRX run in the 1/4 mile. I wouldn't call those SUVs slow at all. Plus if that guy was able to drive it up to 150mph, that 'brick' was making some serious power over stock.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Chiketkd
    Mid 14's @ 96mph stock is right where most average drivers of a stock '02-'05 WRX run in the 1/4 mile. I wouldn't call those SUVs slow at all. Plus if that guy was able to drive it up to 150mph, that 'brick' was making some serious power over stock.

Naw, 150 is fine and I doubt he was cazily modded. They are punchy but not that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilEvoVIII
    Naw, 150 is fine and I doubt he was cazily modded. They are punchy but not that fast.
    The Cd on those vehicles is much higher than a VW R32 or WRX.

The SVT Lightning has a Cd of around 0.48 and with 380hp & 450ft-lbs of torue only hits 147mph on a *long* straight-away. The Ram SRT-10 with a similar Cd but 500hp hits 152mph.

That BMW not only hit 150mph but got there as fast as an R32. It was making some serious power (and had a chip that removed the stock 128mph limiter).
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR

#170/70 D-Stock

I am not so sure he was as modded as you think he was. They are not slow trucks to begin with and if it was modded, it would need very little, possible a cat back exhaust and a retune that obviously removed the limiter. Also a V8, especially the BMW variety will have a topend and proper gearing to exploit it Vs. a stock turbo'd WRX in 5th gear.
    Got no religion; don't need no friends
    Got all I want and I don't need to pretend
    Don't try to reach me 'cos I'll tear up your mind
    I've seen the future and I've left it behind

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.