WRX STI WR1 Vs. Lancer Evolution VII FQ320
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX STI WR1 Vs. Lancer Evolution VII FQ320 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; http://www.racingvideoz.com/mitsubis...ideo-top-gear/...

WRX STI WR1 Vs. Lancer Evolution VII FQ320

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I love Top Gear. All their videos are awesome, plus they get to play with all the better models.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

those to cars are stock right? couldnt u just change the handling of the sti by changing the suspention, sway bars etc etc and then test it

Is that Subaru baby blue?
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

I guess you could change the handling with sway bays but then it wouldn't be stock and the Evo would also need the same mods to be even. My Evo has rear sway bars and frame stiffeners and lemy tell you, they make huge difference on an already phenomenal handling and turn in.

Another reason the Evo is so tossable is its quicker turn ratio, IDK how you guys can fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by genkidama20
    Maybe so, but IMHO there can never be too many videos of WRX's and EVO's duking it out.
    Mods

yes i realise that changing the handling of the STi would be unfair but i was more talking about after you bought it.

and i think they should also test them in a straght line, up and down mountains and off road etc because in my opinion just because the EVO was quicker around the track ( mostly due to its supirior handling) doesnt just make it a better car. IMHO to be a better car that car should do more then just one thing and that is to handle well etc.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe
    IMHO there can never be too many videos of WRX's and EVO's duking it out.
    absolutely. I never get enough of this rivalry. Especially since I've owned both cars, Its fun to talk about the differences.
    Dave
    01 RS

We should all remember though, that's a 320hp sport-tuned Evo vs. a WR1 (which I believe has less hp then the USDM STi). Not to mention that Evo is a lot more money than the WR1.
    1999 Mustang GT (Full Eibach suspension)

Looking for an STI in the spring!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dead_One
    yes i realise that changing the handling of the STi would be unfair but i was more talking about after you bought it.

and i think they should also test them in a straght line, up and down mountains and off road etc because in my opinion just because the EVO was quicker around the track ( mostly due to its supirior handling) doesnt just make it a better car. IMHO to be a better car that car should do more then just one thing and that is to handle well etc.

This was done originally by Car and Driver with the 2003 Evo and the 2004 STI, the Evo still won with less power and both were Driven by a professional race car driver.

To hell with the tests. I'd take a Subaru over a Mitsubishi any day of the week. In the end, it really comes down to personal preference. The cars are just so evenly matched.
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD
    This was done originally by Car and Driver with the 2003 Evo and the 2004 STI, the Evo still won with less power and both were Driven by a professional race car driver.

i realise this but lets say you take the evo off road in dirt n snow its gonna get owned hardcore so by going by what the guy at the end of the video said that would make the STi the better car becasue he said the evo was better just because around a track it was a little faster> that is only 1 aspect of the car to actually be the "better" car personally it would be an overall kinda thing not just 1 small part

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe
    To hell with the tests. I'd take a Subaru over a Mitsubishi any day of the week. In the end, it really comes down to personal preference. The cars are just so evenly matched.

i agree totally the STi has a better all round package anyways and the diff in handleing can be fixed with a few extra $ and you have an even better car then also

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dead_One
    i realise this but lets say you take the evo off road in dirt n snow its gonna get owned hardcore so by going by what the guy at the end of the video said that would make the STi the better car becasue he said the evo was better just because around a track it was a little faster> that is only 1 aspect of the car to actually be the "better" car personally it would be an overall kinda thing not just 1 small part

It was taken off road, over and through a mountain in fact and still beat the 04 STI.

The 'King of the Hill' Compares Our Cars on the Big Dirty

You are not Rod Millen. We are not Rod Millen. Heck, on this day, even Rod Millen wasn't sure if he was Rod Millen.

How's that? Well, here's what our congenial professional driver had to say after piloting these two cars on a 0.9-mile-long dirt course we'd set up: "After driving that Subaru, I thought, 'Oh, gosh. I've forgotten how to drive.'"

Okay, he didn't say gosh. Still, this from a man whose credentials on dirt are as expert as any man's in America. The New Zealand native, now 52, and essentially retired from racing, has been the fastest man to the top of the 14,110-foot Pikes Peak six times in a radical Unlimited Class Toyota racer powered by an evolution of Toyota's old and dominant IMSA GTP turbo engine that gushes stratospheric amounts of power. Millen power-slid that four-wheel-drive beast up the snaking 12.42-mile gravel course in a record time of 10 minutes and four seconds in 1994.

Through the '70s and '80s, Millen dominated rally racing in New Zealand and then in the U.S. He's also earned success in off-road truck racing and endurance road racing. He now focuses on his growing businesses of aftermarket parts for Toyota cars and contract engineering for carmakers and the U.S. military.

Despite his modest self-deprecation, we felt unnaturally comfortable sitting in the passenger seat as Millen somehow managed to get to 122 mph on the short straight and then dive sideways through the rest of our dusty little course. It was remarkable since neither of our test cars, equipped with aggressive pavement tires and undefeatable anti-lock brakes, comes from the factory prepared for such off-road flogging.

It's wonderfully humbling to watch a professional at work. It's especially wonderful when his assessment jibes with our own. Millen's did. And these cars do have legitimate roots in rallying. Also, well, it's a *****in' thing to do.

The course, a two-lane-wide road made up of fine sand, starts with three well-graded tight turns, opens up to a washboard downhill straight a quarter-mile or so in length, continues over two rises, through a chicane of trees, and to a fast left-hand corner made of a patchwork of old asphalt and dust, and finally ends on an uphill chunk of road.

With Millen at the wheel, the Mitsubishi Evo was faster, posting a 48.62-second run, during which Millen beat a top speed of 115 mph out of it. The best run in the Subaru STi was 48.89 seconds, with a top speed of 122 mph.

That the Subaru was faster on the straight and still posted a slower overall time mirrors our experience with lap times around the Streets of Willow road course. Those 29 extra ponies under the Subaru's flapping hood are for real. But the Mitsubishi was significantly faster than the STi through the corners. The understeer we noted on the track and road wasn't the problem on the dirt. Said Millen: "The Subaru just feels a lot more nervous than the Mitsubishi. I'm not as comfortable in it. Its responses are less predictable." And viewed from the passenger seat, Millen was obviously working harder—shuffling the steering wheel madly to correct and recorrect his driving line—to get a decent time from the STi. This was especially true over the patchy asphalt-and-dirt portion near the finish line. Of the STi, he noted, "Power off, this car's nose drifts. When I get back on the power, it feels great. It grips and pulls strongly." Millen pinned much of these shenanigans on the unpredictable torque-sensing, limited-slip front differential and a relatively slow steering ratio, requiring bigger, slower inputs.

"Don't you sometimes want a slower ratio on the dirt?" we asked. Too kind a man to say, "No, you moron!" he instead replied, "No, for racing, quicker is always better.

"The Evo is surprisingly different from the Subaru. It's clearly not as powerful, but it's not as nervous, either," Millen continued. "The Mitsubishi is more comfortable to drive at the limit." We believe him because he told us this calmly as we slid smoothly through a sweeping turn at 80 mph. The Evo's lack of a limited-slip front differential might have handicapped it launching out of corners, but it negotiated them faster anyway.

What did we learn? ABS and dirt don't mix. And, already ravaged by our pavement silliness, the tires on both cars were rounded off smooth after the dirt runs, as if they had been carefully reshaped. The solid stripe of tread that runs down the center of the Subaru's Bridgestones looked, by the end of the dirt portion, like a piece of quarter-round molding. This, and the whole day, were sources of grand amusement to Millen and everyone else—except perhaps Subaru and Mitsubishi. —DP
    Last edited by TSi AWD; 01-31-2006 at 06:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast