WRX STI WR1 Vs. Lancer Evolution VII FQ320 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44

This is a discussion on WRX STI WR1 Vs. Lancer Evolution VII FQ320 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by TSi AWD Nope, you would need better sway bars, especially in the rear, a better steering ratio, ...

  1. #31
    Registered User Digitalfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD
    Nope, you would need better sway bars, especially in the rear, a better steering ratio, and a larger wheel base.
    I doubt it, probably a camber adjustment and equivalent tires would be sufficient. Just because the Evo might feel significantly faster around the track, doesn't mean it actually is. If anything you are probably talking a couple tenths here or there.

    A better steering ratio might be nice but I would assume it is far from necessary to equal a stock Evo lol.
    Last edited by Digitalfiend; 02-06-2006 at 05:02 PM.
    2005 Aspen White STi

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User bigd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,670
    ok, you're definitely missing the point. They're wildly different cars but very similar at the same time. Yeah they can pull off very similar lap times, but unless you've ACTUALLY driven both of them hard, you have no idea just how different they feel. The 04 STi (with stage 2 susp mods) still didn't feel as good as the Evo does, stock. (granted they've made improvements since then, but that wasn't the point of my comparison). It still does push, even though it continues to rotate. I feel much more confident in the Evo, it doesn't seem to strain quite as hard as the STi does. The fast lap times seem to come easier to the Evo. Simply changing rubber won't make either of these cars fantastically quicker because both tires are basically R compounds.. If you gain a couple tenths here, a couple there, you end up with a full second before you know it. Only a couple tenths per lap around a track is enough to dominate your competition.

    All I'm saying is the feel of a car may be all it takes to actually be faster if two cars are so close. Confidence is an incredible tool. You may be confident in an STi, but until you feel the differences, you're simply missing it. Nearly every magazine review says they enjoy driving the Evo more, its simply more fun. I'm not downplaying the STi, I'm just trying to help you understand why the Evo is so popular. Around most circuits the Evo is always faster, and I can now understand why.
    Dave
    01 RS

  4. #33
    Registered User bigd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    I doubt it, probably a camber adjustment and equivalent tires would be sufficient. Just because the Evo might feel significantly faster around the track, doesn't mean it actually is. If anything you are probably talking a couple tenths here or there.

    A better steering ratio might be nice but I would assume it is far from necessary to equal a stock Evo lol.
    you should seriously reconsider this statement, it has way more to do with everyhting involved than just rubber. The car's suspension design, geometry, suspension tuning from the factory, everything... It ALL has a direct effect on how well a car can make it around the track.
    Dave
    01 RS

  5. #34
    Registered User Digitalfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    you should seriously reconsider this statement, it has way more to do with everyhting involved than just rubber. The car's suspension design, geometry, suspension tuning from the factory, everything... It ALL has a direct effect on how well a car can make it around the track.
    Unfortunately, since we don't have the Evos up here I really can't be absolutely positive since I'll never drive one. But since magazine articles were brought up: every magazine that has tested similar model year STi/Evos have always had the same results. The Evo was ever-so-slightly quicker around a track and in one article, when they used the same tires, the '05 STi was faster. Unless Mitsu made some huge changes for the 05/06, I can't see the Evo being significantly faster around a track. But, as I said, I'll never know for sure, so I'll yield to your experience, since you've owned both.

    The only thing I'm really jealous of over the Evo is how easy it is to make serious power.

    Speaking of road racing though, the STis seem to be cleaning up in SCCA. How many Evos are road racing there?
    Last edited by Digitalfiend; 02-06-2006 at 07:33 PM.
    2005 Aspen White STi

  6. #35
    Banned TSi AWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    I doubt it, probably a camber adjustment and equivalent tires would be sufficient. Just because the Evo might feel significantly faster around the track, doesn't mean it actually is. If anything you are probably talking a couple tenths here or there.

    A better steering ratio might be nice but I would assume it is far from necessary to equal a stock Evo lol.


    You'd be surprised what a change in wheel base, a stiffer sway bar, and a sharper steering ratio would affect the handling.

  7. #36
    Registered User Digitalfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD
    You'd be surprised what a change in wheel base, a stiffer sway bar, and a sharper steering ratio would affect the handling.
    Don't get me wrong. All those changes would of course make a big difference in the STi's handling but I wouldn't think all of those changes are necessary to make a STi perform as well as the Evo.
    2005 Aspen White STi

  8. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    elk grove ca
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Don't get me wrong. All those changes would of course make a big difference in the STi's handling but I wouldn't think all of those changes are necessary to make a STi perform as well as the Evo.
    i agree
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

  9. #38
    Registered User bigd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,670
    i see your point, faster is still faster, stock or not. However, the point I was trying to make is that the Evo feels less stressed doing it. At least (from what I've seen) that's why more mag reviews choose it. And which mags compared both cars on the same tires?
    Dave
    01 RS

  10. #39
    Registered User Digitalfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    i see your point, faster is still faster, stock or not. However, the point I was trying to make is that the Evo feels less stressed doing it. At least (from what I've seen) that's why more mag reviews choose it. And which mags compared both cars on the same tires?
    I believe it was Car and Driver in the 05 Evo vs 05 STi rematch article. I'll see if I can find it.
    2005 Aspen White STi

  11. #40
    Registered User The_Dead_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    117
    id like to see articals done with THE SAME YEAR MODELS i.e both 04 05 06 etc not a car thats 2 years old v a brand new one.


    anyways just a quick question mod for mod which car do you think is best and for wat reason?

  12. #41
    Registered User Digitalfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    343
    bigd, here is the article:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=9052

    It's a companion article to their Bad Boys - rematch article. They say the STi performed better on split traction surfaces, and when they put the same tires on the both cars the STi was .15 seconds faster per lap, etc. They still said the STi understeered but pulled stronger out of the corners and felt more stable.

    Bah, both cars kick ass...
    2005 Aspen White STi

  13. #42
    Registered User Digitalfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dead_One
    id like to see articals done with THE SAME YEAR MODELS i.e both 04 05 06 etc not a car thats 2 years old v a brand new one.


    anyways just a quick question mod for mod which car do you think is best and for wat reason?
    See the link I posted above.
    2005 Aspen White STi

  14. #43
    Registered User The_Dead_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    117
    i agree both cars are damn good (tho personal pref is the STi for me) and YAY finally an artical comparing the same year model cars and winner = STi hehe

  15. #44
    Registered User bigd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,670
    it's kind of funny, they said many of the exact same things I said. The 04 to the 05 STi apparently wasn't the epiphany of miraculous improvement you're touting.

    Same points:
    I said the STi pushes, but has tons of torque. I said the Evo feels better. I said the STi has to be driven with the throttle in mind, the more it's used, the better the car handles. I said the Evo is generally quicker around a track, I never said it was ALWAYS quicker. I said the Evo rotates more easily. Funny, eh?

    On multiple traction surfaces, of course the STi will accelerate harder because of the automatic center diff. The Evo's center diff needs to be set to the proper setting. If its left in tarmac mode, of course it will slip more because the diffs are expectine a higher grip surface.

    I'm not trying to sway your opinion, I know you praise the STi for all it's worth. I'm trying to get you to see why they're different, and why the Evo wins so many competitions (whether I agree with it or not). The cars are so close that it coes down to the driver and the environment, as each car has a different style and strengths/weaknesses.. All I'm saying is the Evo is typically faster because it simply feels more controllable and inspires more confidence. If a track favors the STi, where out-of-corner acceleration is more critical, the STi SHOULD come out on top. And the MX is a so-so tire, they could have chosen a better tire for the comparison.

    The_Dead_One-
    Sorry for sharing MY experience between the two cars. if you wanted a same-year comparison, go pick up just about any mag, there's tons of battles there. I was simply reviewing my experience because not many people have had a chance to aggressively drive, let alone own, both cars. Again, so sorry..

    As for modability, for 99% of all people either car will be fantastically moddable. The Evo's engine has been around longer, so there's more for it. It also responds to heavy mods better, as some people are pushing 500whp on the stock iron block.
    Dave
    01 RS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •