WRX STI WR1 Vs. Lancer Evolution VII FQ320 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX STI WR1 Vs. Lancer Evolution VII FQ320 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Link http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well that was a dumb idea, they took the cars off-road with the street tires?

I agree though, the Evo DOES deem to feel more comfortable at its limit (from what I've experienced on twisty mountain roads). The STi has so much damn grip that its harder to GET it to it's limit. But, its terribly forgiving and will let you get away with quite a bit on a track. I'm interested to see how the Evo fares this summer at the track.
    Dave
    01 RS

WOW!! that EVO WAS QUICK AS ALL HELL...

omg..

nice vid!!
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    well that was a dumb idea, they took the cars off-road with the street tires?

I agree though, the Evo DOES deem to feel more comfortable at its limit (from what I've experienced on twisty mountain roads). The STi has so much damn grip that its harder to GET it to it's limit. But, its terribly forgiving and will let you get away with quite a bit on a track. I'm interested to see how the Evo fares this summer at the track.

Yeah well they kept them 100% stock atleast, I found it intersting how much more power the STI had in the straits. I think 7MPH more, that is HUGE.

yeah. the stock Evo's Advan tires have more tread block separations, and the STi has huge solid blocks with little separation... So that may very well be a significant part of the handling differences. I know the Evo's suspension is inherently better balanced, but it's astounding the night/day differences. I think it's mostly due to tires.
    Dave
    01 RS

Hey man did you get your car back? Glad you got an Evo IX. They are making BIG power with simple mods, you will be having a lot of fun with that car I promise.

hehe.. I already am. I've nearly hit 750 miles on one week. This weekend I plan on putting another 300 miles on it. After I hit 1500 I'll change oil and start having fun...

I'm going to drive the car stock for a while and probably put it through a track day at a course I'm pretty familiar with. After that, I'll see what is lacking and consider upgrades. Huge power isn't my goal, I want a highly balanced car... I'm expecting springs/swaybars/endlinks, brake pads/ss lines/fluid, TBE/reflash, maybe some other minor stuff..
    Dave
    01 RS

I think AL from Dyno Flash is hitting up Denver. You would see about an 80WHP gain with a nice Turbo back, no cat, and an ECUTEK flash.

do you know when? I won't be able to afford any mods for a couple months.
    Dave
    01 RS

oh your Fuct then, but being in Denver you are realling missing out on some power, but then so is Everyone else. But Go with ECUTEK and avoid standalones unless you want to go nuts, especially with 80 Degree Summers and below freezing winters youll be tunning all the time, Ecutek is good for 600+++WHP, youll be fine with that.

Yeah i figured. I'm not in any rush for big power, and i agree, the altitude blows. I took my STi to ohio for a christmas trip, and 4th gear at sea level pulled like 3rd at altitude... Oh well, I love Colorado too much to leave for a few extra ponies.
    Dave
    01 RS

Holy old video of cars that we don't even get here. If we had 235s and slightly better rubber an STi would handle just as well as an Evo, though with slightly different characteristics. In fact, instead of quoting old-news articles, why not look at the more recent C&D articles where the STi beat the Evo when they switched them to the same tires. Heck I'm pretty sure the MotorTrend on the 06 STi vs Evo 9 put the STi ahead. Even then, the differences are so small its really just academic.

The point is, that video you posted doesn't represent what we drive over here. I could compare the Litchfield Type-25 STi to the FQ320 and the Litchfield would win. Either way, you would have to be a damn good driver to be able find the differences between the Evo and STi. Most Evo owners seem more interested in drag racing anyhow...

Meh, gotta love the Top Gear videos though. The one of the FQ400 vs the Lambo was pretty cool too.
    2005 Aspen White STi

damn dude, calm down. Just because it's old doesn't mean it isn't entertaining.

and you don't have to be an incredible driver to notice the differences, they're huge. read up on my 04 STi vs 06 Evo MR review here:
    http://www.awdpirates.net/phpBB2/vie...=160976#160976
    Dave
    01 RS

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Holy old video of cars that we don't even get here. If we had 235s and slightly better rubber an STi would handle just as well as an Evo, though with slightly different characteristics.
    Nope, you would need better sway bars, especially in the rear, a better steering ratio, and a larger wheel base.

Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    damn dude, calm down. Just because it's old doesn't mean it isn't entertaining.

and you don't have to be an incredible driver to notice the differences, they're huge. read up on my 04 STi vs 06 Evo MR review here:
    http://www.awdpirates.net/phpBB2/vie...=160976#160976
    Who is getting excited?

The only thing I can say about your comparison is that you are comparing an 04 STi (which has a different steering rack and setup than the improved 05 model), to a revised Evo MR. I've only been in one 04 STi but numerous people claim the differences between the 04/05 STis in the handling department are very noticeable (though nothing a few suspension mods can't fix on the 04.)

I'm not attacking the Evo and the improvements made to the 05+ Evo models are quite impressive. Unfortunately, we do not get the Evo here in Canada, so I haven't had the opportunity to ride in one. But I guess what gets to me after a while is when everyone keeps talking about the the STi "pushing" relentlessly. On a road course my stock STi handles very well, with understeer only showing up if I go into a corner too hot. The steering is firm and I feel very connected to the tires/road. The one thing I can't get over is how people claim the Advans are even better than the RE070s. I've always thought the RE070s were as close to an R compound as you could get without actually getting one. Are the Advans that much better because that would be insane!

So don't get me wrong. Perhaps I misunderstood the intent of this post. I've seen so many posts about how the "Ev0 pWnz ST1" coming from people that have no clue about the cars that it really gets old. I guess this wasn't one of those posts...
    Last edited by Digitalfiend; 02-06-2006 at 05:01 PM.
    2005 Aspen White STi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.