Podcast: WRX TR vs. Mustang GT
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Podcast: WRX TR vs. Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Im currently in the planning stages of starting an automotive video Podcast. I work at a tv/film production company so ...

Podcast: WRX TR vs. Mustang GT

Im currently in the planning stages of starting an automotive video Podcast. I work at a tv/film production company so Ive got access to alot of equipment (though this is a personal project that me a a couple friends will make). For those of you that have seen the british show Top Gear, think something like that, but from the viewpoint of 20-something y/o Americans.

Anyways, for my first episode, I plan to compare similarly priced 2006 models of the Subaru WRX TR and the Ford Mustang GT Coupe. (i probably wont be too kind to the stang)

Im working on exactly where Im going to be getting the cars to test in the show...i dont think ill be able to get a press fleet tester, so im contacting local dealerships to see if any want to help out...however i suppose that if a brave 06 TR owner were to step up i could always do that...
    but id also like to just meet up with a group of WRX owners near the Dallas/Ft.Worth area

Speak up if you guys have any other cool ideas of stuff to put in the show!
    Last edited by drive; 01-27-2006 at 08:18 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drive
    Im currently in the planning stages of starting an automotive video Podcast. I work at a tv/film production company so Ive got access to alot of equipment (though this is a personal project that me a a couple friends will make). For those of you that have seen the british show Top Gear, think something like that, but from the viewpoint of 20-something y/o Americans.

Anyways, for my first episode, I plan to compare similarly priced 2006 models of the Subaru WRX TR and the Ford Mustang GT Coupe. (i probably wont be too kind to the stang)

Im working on exactly where Im going to be getting the cars to test in the show...i dont think ill be able to get a press fleet tester, so im contacting local dealerships to see if any want to help out...however i suppose that if a brave 06 TR owner were to step up i could always do that...
    but id also like to just meet up with a group of WRX owners near the Dallas/Ft.Worth area

Speak up if you guys have any other cool ideas of stuff to put in the show!
    Focusing in on " (i probably wont be too kind to the stang)" *implies* that you aren't targeting enthusiasts with your podcast. So why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by mx_9
    Focusing in on " (i probably wont be too kind to the stang)" *implies* that you aren't targeting enthusiasts with your podcast. So why bother?
    first off i will have two other co-hosts to each give their opinions (and one i know LOVES musclecars)

second, i was simply saying that my personal tastes dont match up well the stang...not that i wont give it a fair chance, not that i wont praise what is good about the car...

finally, if the show were entirely objective and optimistic towards everything equally, then i might as well just call it Autoweek. face it, its more entertaining to see humans on screen complete with all thier personality...like i said, watch Top Gear

I can sum it up for you real quick. Before I purchased my 06 TR, I test drove a 06 Mustang GT and the GT was quicker and handled better. In my opinion, you should compare the Mustang GT to an Impreza WRX STI. The TR does not compare to the GT. I just donít want you to look foolish and loose credibility. You have a good concept, but you need to compare apples to apples.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Drod
    I can sum it up for you real quick. Before I purchased my 06 TR, I test drove a 06 Mustang GT and the GT...... handled better.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

driving a mustang gt, is like driving 300hp shopping cart. all power, no control.

Quote Originally Posted by Drod
    I can sum it up for you real quick. Before I purchased my 06 TR, I test drove a 06 Mustang GT and the GT was quicker and handled better. In my opinion, you should compare the Mustang GT to an Impreza WRX STI. The TR does not compare to the GT. I just donít want you to look foolish and loose credibility. You have a good concept, but you need to compare apples to apples.
    thanks for the input...i was under the impressions from the reviews that ive read that the Mustang really isnt much of a drivers car...decently quick just not very fun

if you could give me some more details regarding what you thought of it in comparison to the WRX, it would be helpful...i want to go into this knowing as much as possible

Quote Originally Posted by drive
    thanks for the input...i was under the impressions from the reviews that ive read that the Mustang really isnt much of a drivers car...decently quick just not very fun

if you could give me some more details regarding what you thought of it in comparison to the WRX, it would be helpful...i want to go into this knowing as much as possible
    You are correct; the Mustang is not as fun to drive as the WRX. You get a better feel for the road in the WRX, and the steering is crisper as well in the WRX. The Mustang is a dry pavement vehicle and in my opinion handles just as good as the WRX or better. Recent magazine articles have state 200-ft skidpad, avg g of 0.84 to 0.87 and 600-ft slalom, avg mph 66.1 to 67.5. The Mustang is a heavy car and you can feel the weight of the car during tight cornering. The WRX give you a tighter feeling, but I found myself capable of carrying slightly faster apex speeds in the GT. BTW, I test drove both cars on the same road. Magazine statistics have stated 61 to 64 mph on the 600 FT Slalom for the WRX and skidpad of 0.81 to 0.85 for the WRX. The lower Salom Speed and skidpad numbers can easily be attributed to the stock tires Subaru chose for the WRX. I replaced the stock tires of my 06 WRX TR with Yokohama AVS Sport and the handling improved.

GT STATS
    Acceleration, sec to mph
    0-30 1.9
    0-40 2.8
    0-50 3.8
    0-60 5.1
    0-70 6.8
    0-80 8.6
    0-90 11.0
    0-100 13.7
    1/4 mile, sec @ mph 13.6 @ 99.9

Why I chose the WRX over the Mustang?
    1. It’s not as heavy as the Mustang
    2. I felt safer in the WRX
    3. AWD System
    4. Price
    5. Loved my 2002 WRX and had to replace it with a new 2006
    6. Wife hates Mustangs
    7. Easier to transport my 3 year old daughter.
    Last edited by Drod; 01-27-2006 at 01:22 PM.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.