runin with 02ish Cobra today on the highway :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on runin with 02ish Cobra today on the highway :) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i was on my way home from work this morning and saw a 00-02ish mustang cobra coming up behind ...

runin with 02ish Cobra today on the highway :)

So i was on my way home from work this morning and saw a 00-02ish mustang cobra coming up behind me. I saw the logo in the front grill... So he changed lanes to the one next to me and flew past. I got behind him and he downshifted and took off. I could see a little puff of smoke when he took off... I downshifted to 4th or 5th (don't remember) and had to let off the throttle a little so i wouldn't hit him. We slowed down and i passed him so he got behind me and tried to tail me. I took off and from 80 to 110 i had put about 4 car lengths in between us. He couldn't keep up! HAHA. Was this guy just driving retartedly, or is the STI really that much faster than the 02ish cobras? I thought they were faster than that!... Anyway after that i could tell he was pissed because when i slowed down he blew by me down the highway and kept going...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you know Ford made the same # of 02 Cobras as Chevy made 03 Camaros
    - Local Riceist

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobVee
    Did you know Ford made the same # of 02 Cobras as Chevy made 03 Camaros
    Yes, I did know that...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

who cairs it is a ford haha

Here is the good news... The dude probably wasn't trying or he was a crappy driver. The bad new is there is no 02 Cobra, unless you are posting from Australia. There were 99 and 01 Cobras (N/A 4.6 L with 320 HP). That is probably what you were "racing" but those don't really sound like races or anything to me. Just you riding someone's ass really hard and then pulling away from them after you passed them. Oh well, I bet is was fun for you at least.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

From a roll that cobra should be able to take a stock sti... from a stop, it is the other way around... sounds like you had fun either way though
    1999 Corvette; vararam cold air intake; ls6 intake manifold; cartek stage 2x heads; cartek stage 2x cam; ported ls6 oil pump; hardened pushrods; 1 7/8" headers with full 3" exhaust back; hardened output shaft; 3.90rear gears.... 420rwhp

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro; heated seats

Quote Originally Posted by Juice33
    The bad new is there is no 02 Cobra, unless you are posting from Australia.
    when i was in australia last may i saw only 1 mustang

it was a green vert gt. used with 36k km on it.

they wanted i think $52k australian for it.
    Anthony

Here is the good news... The dude probably wasn't trying or he was a crappy driver. The bad new is there is no 02 Cobra, unless you are posting from Australia. There were 99 and 01 Cobras (N/A 4.6 L with 320 HP). That is probably what you were "racing" but those don't really sound like races or anything to me. Just you riding someone's ass really hard and then pulling away from them after you passed them. Oh well, I bet is was fun for you at least.
    Haha, well he was trying. I can tell you that much. Can't vouch whether he was a good driver or not tho . If there were no 02's then it was 99-01 like you say. I just know it's not the newest or second newest body style. I can tell you might be slightly biast seeing your avatar and sig :P. And like i said they weren't really races but you can get an idea from these types of pulls... And yeah i had fun Tell you the truth i was expecting some competition! He did keep up better than most...

I took an 01' that was putting 325 to the wheels. It's my buddies. He's got headers with a tune, and he's catless. His car is amazing. We did pulls from a dig, and some from 35+. I put about a car on him each time. I'm Cobb stage 2 btw. Here's a link to his car if you don't believe me.

http://www.01cobra.net

Quote Originally Posted by Justin80
    I took an 01' that was putting 325 to the wheels. It's my buddies. He's got headers with a tune, and he's catless. His car is amazing. We did pulls from a dig, and some from 35+. I put about a car on him each time. I'm Cobb stage 2 btw. Here's a link to his car if you don't believe me.

Edit:We shut down about 85 or so each run...

http://www.01cobra.net

Quote Originally Posted by flipture
    Haha, well he was trying. I can tell you that much. Can't vouch whether he was a good driver or not tho . If there were no 02's then it was 99-01 like you say. I just know it's not the newest or second newest body style. I can tell you might be slightly biast seeing your avatar and sig :P. And like i said they weren't really races but you can get an idea from these types of pulls... And yeah i had fun Tell you the truth i was expecting some competition! He did keep up better than most...
    It wasn't one of the last 2 body styles? Was it the rounder (SN95) or the edgier (New Edge, like my 03 Cobra)? There is a difference in power between the 99/01 and 98 and unders, if it was a stock 98 I don't doubt it at all, but if it was a 99/01, I know that wouldn't happen if he knew what he was doing. Putting 4 cars from 80-110 is a hard thjing to do no matter what car you or he was driving without a serious disparity in HP. BTW, I can't be too biased, I used to own an 04 STi.

Justin, I don't doubt that a stage 2 STi could take that 01 Cobra, but we are talking about a stock STi.
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Could have been a rebadged GT too.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoore
    Could have been a rebadged GT too.
    Or the more likely rebadged american ricer V6...
    SOLD:
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning

Or the more likely rebadged american ricer V6...
    You would have to be deaf and blind to confuse the two...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

A stock STi will not put 4 cars on a well running 01ish Cobra at those speeds unless something is wrong with the Cobra or the Driver of the Cobra left the car in high gear (never downshifted).

I almost got beat by a stock 5.9 Dokata Pickup in my LS1 z28 one day when my car wasn't running all that well. I bet that guy was freaking out when he almost beat me.
    My clutch was slipping really bad and that's why my Z28 was running so slow. Things like that happen all the time in racing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.