Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cobalt SS vs. 06 TR

4K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  ShardAerithes 
#1 ·
Well I was cruising down the boulevard and spotted a Cobalt SS. We're going about 40-45 mph.

There was a girl driving, she didn't look like she really wanted to race. I paced her a couple times and didn't seem to get any response. I was up so she was at my rear bumper and letting off the throttle to get back to the speed limit when she zoomed past! I was like huh? OH!

I grabbed 2nd and took off. I wasn't sure if I was going to catch her, I knew those were pretty quick. I reeled her in more quickly than I expected. As I grabbed third, I was passing her. By 80 mph I had a car length. I hit the brakes when I saw the cop car, luckily there was no one in it.

At the next stop light she gave me a smile. I motioned to go from a stop but she would have none of it. She knew her chances were non-existant.

Aren't cobalts supposed to be fast?

#7 · (Edited)
Integra96 said:
I thought SS = supercharged for Cobalts. :confused:
I'm looking at Chevy's website and apparently not. How can you tell them apart? It looks like the spoilers and wheels are different, although I didn't get a good look at either. I know the spoiler was quite large, although she could've always just put the SS supercharged wing on her car. The SS non-supercharged has a much smaller spoiler.

Although it makes sense. apparently the SS Supercharged has like 205 HP. According to Cobb, the 06 will put down 202 to the wheels, which means I'd win no matter what.

#9 ·
ShardAerithes said:
I'm looking at Chevy's website and apparently not. How can you tell them apart? It looks like the spoilers and wheels are different, although I didn't get a good look at either. I know the spoiler was quite large, although she could've always just put the SS supercharged wing on her car. The SS non-supercharged has a much smaller spoiler.

Although it makes sense. apparently the SS Supercharged has like 205 HP. According to Cobb, the 06 will put down 202 to the wheels, which means I'd win no matter what.
Don't count on it. I thought I read somewhere that they were putting 200-210 down at the wheels, severely underrated like the SRT-4 if true. Plus they are pretty light, probably a couple hundred pounds lighter than your TR, but I am not sure.

#11 ·
Black XT said:
One of them tried racing me while I was driving my brothers 350Z. Ouch, he will not try it again.

it was a 40mph roll, by the end of 100 I had maybe 12 car lengths:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You can tell he was not good at driving stick. He started it, I ended it.

It had to be a non supercharged version. The supercharged version (Traps 99mph) would probably give a 350z a good race from a roll.

#12 ·
Juice33 said:
Don't count on it. I thought I read somewhere that they were putting 200-210 down at the wheels, severely underrated like the SRT-4 if true. Plus they are pretty light, probably a couple hundred pounds lighter than your TR, but I am not sure.
Yeah, most dyno's I have seen have them putting down more to the wheels than the manufacturer states to the crank, lol.

#13 ·
Yeah, 2 different SS's

They make one with a N/A 2.4ltr engine that puts out 170hp and a 2.0ltr Supercharged version that puts out 205hp.

A standard WRX should be as quick if not a little quicker than the Supercharged version, especially a 2006 WRX. I don't know why everyone thinks he had to have raced the non-blown model. From what I have heard, the 2.4 is a dog, he would have blown that one away. This race sounded fairly close.

#14 ·
Well theres 2 things that could've happened.

It was supercharged or

It wasn't supercharged and my WRX isn't really a WRX, it's an impreza with a WRX badge, a fake boost gauge and turbo noises, and the "spool up" I feel is subarus VTEC equivalent kicking in. Damn those dealers, fooling me. lol

It had to be supercharged. It had the wing, and I didn't exactly blow it's doors off. I mean, it was quick, but just not as quick as the 06 TR.

#15 ·
yeah those ss supercharged cobalts are pretty fast stock, but they dont really compare to a WRX or are even in the same league as the STI. I think the level right below the WRX/Evolution/SRT4 category sounds more like its speed rank.

#16 ·
pjb2006 said:
yeah those ss supercharged cobalts are pretty fast stock, but they dont really compare to a WRX or are even in the same league as the STI. I think the level right below the WRX/Evolution/SRT4 category sounds more like its speed rank.
Huh? No offense, but the WRX is not really near as fast as those other two cars in your "category". The STi definately is but the WRX, stock, is not keeping up with either of those two. And from a roll, The S/C'd SS would be a driver's race for the 06 TR. That's just the way it is.

#17 ·
Viper SRT-10,C6 Z06
C6,
EVO, STI, New Mustang GT ( not really sure where to put this)
06 WRX,SRT4,350Z
02-05 WRX
Cobalt SS, New Civic Si, new eclipse GT, Mazda RX-8, Mazdaspeed Protege (are these still made?)
Celica GTS

Thats how I usually imagine it in terms of "am I gonna beat this guy..?" , fastest are the highest, and the furthest left.

Not sure if I'm right, but thats how I'd put it if I was out on the street and had no internet to look things up. I'm also too lazy to go look things up right now. I based this on 1/4 mile. I know i left some cars out, but this was off the top of my head.

Still not even sure why I made this post. I just woke up. :wiggles:

#18 ·
the new corvette outdoes the SRT-10:eek:? I always thought that the Viper was the fastest thing on the road (stock at least), but then again i haven't really been keeping up with corvette specs as of late. My mistake on the car ranking thing. I didn't know that the SRT-4 was a real competitor for the STI or the evo (i knew i was a turbo 4, but i've never checked its specs). What are the specs (rough estimates) on the SRT-4, and is there more than one model of the evolution (kinda like WRX and WRX STI)? I've heard of the Evolution MR, but I'm not exactly sure what the difference is.

#19 ·
As far as I know the Viper is faster than the C6 Z06.

The SRT-4 is good for a 14 flat 1/4 mile.

The Evo comes in a few designations.

Evolution VIII, Evo MR, Evo RS and Evo IX. The MR is the most expensive, and fastest.

#20 ·
pjb2006 said:
the new corvette outdoes the SRT-10:eek:?
Both cars are pretty closely matched, but the C6 Z06 edges it out on the overall performance catagory... And from the 3 comparisons I have seen with the two cars, the mag has picked the Z06 as its winner every time.

#24 ·
You were missing a very essentail car, so i added it for u

ShardAerithes said:
Bugatti Veyron

Viper SRT-10,C6 Z06
C6,
EVO, STI, New Mustang GT ( not really sure where to put this)
06 WRX,SRT4,350Z
02-05 WRX
Cobalt SS, New Civic Si, new eclipse GT, Mazda RX-8, Mazdaspeed Protege (are these still made?)
Celica GTS
Still not even sure why I made this post. I just woke up. :wiggles:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.