Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cobalt SS vs. 06 TR

4K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  ShardAerithes 
#1 ·
Well I was cruising down the boulevard and spotted a Cobalt SS. We're going about 40-45 mph.

There was a girl driving, she didn't look like she really wanted to race. I paced her a couple times and didn't seem to get any response. I was up so she was at my rear bumper and letting off the throttle to get back to the speed limit when she zoomed past! I was like huh? OH!

I grabbed 2nd and took off. I wasn't sure if I was going to catch her, I knew those were pretty quick. I reeled her in more quickly than I expected. As I grabbed third, I was passing her. By 80 mph I had a car length. I hit the brakes when I saw the cop car, luckily there was no one in it.

At the next stop light she gave me a smile. I motioned to go from a stop but she would have none of it. She knew her chances were non-existant.

Aren't cobalts supposed to be fast?

#28 ·
ShardAerithes said:
no dude, go on GM's website, not all SS's are supercharged.
Correct. The Cobalt SS has a high output n/a 171hp 2.4L engine (costs 17K), while the Cobalt SS supercharged has an Eaton M62 s/c blowing 12psi of boost into a 2.0L engine and is conservatively rated at 205hp (costs 20K).

The n/a 171hp SS is still very peppy, but not in the same league as the s/c SS model...

#29 ·
ShardAerithes said:
Viper SRT-10,C6 Z06
C6,
EVO, STI, New Mustang GT ( not really sure where to put this)
06 WRX,SRT4,350Z
02-05 WRX
Cobalt SS, New Civic Si, new eclipse GT, Mazda RX-8, Mazdaspeed Protege (are these still made?)
Celica GTS

Thats how I usually imagine it in terms of "am I gonna beat this guy..?" , fastest are the highest, and the furthest left.

Not sure if I'm right, but thats how I'd put it if I was out on the street and had no internet to look things up. I'm also too lazy to go look things up right now. I based this on 1/4 mile. I know i left some cars out, but this was off the top of my head.

Still not even sure why I made this post. I just woke up. :wiggles:
No more complaining. Edit the chart if you want to complain I left cars out. Otherwise, I'll have none of it.

#31 · (Edited)
ShardAerithes said:
As far as I know the Viper is faster than the C6 Z06.

The SRT-4 is good for a 14 flat 1/4 mile.

The Evo comes in a few designations.

Evolution VIII, Evo MR, Evo RS and Evo IX. The MR is the most expensive, and fastest.
The MR isn't the fastest, the RS is thanks to its lighter weight. All of them have the same powerplant, its just that the MR has a 6 spd compared to 5 spd in the VIII, IX, and RS. The new Evo9's are trapping 105-106mph which is a huge improvement over the Evo8's thanks to the larger turbo and MIVEC.

Oh yeah, and the SRT-4 has dipped into the 13's with a capable driver behind the wheel. I'd also say that the SRT-4 would be slightly faster than a 06 WRX.

#32 ·
BoostJunkie21 said:
The MR isn't the fastest, the RS is thanks to its lighter weight. All of them have the same powerplant, its just that the MR has a 6 spd compared to 5 spd in the VIII, IX, and RS. The new Evo9's are trapping 105-106mph which is a huge improvement over the Evo8's thanks to the larger turbo and MIVEC.

Oh yeah, and the SRT-4 has dipped into the 13's with a capable driver behind the wheel. I'd also say that the SRT-4 would be slightly faster than a 06 WRX.

The 06 WRX also dipped into the 13's... my friend was only able to get a 14.00 out of his SRT-4, and he's a great driver. I wouldn't doubt the SRT being faster from a roll.

#33 ·
ShardAerithes said:
I wouldn't doubt the SRT being faster from a roll.
2006' wrx or not, the SRT-4 will walk a wrx from a roll. I have seen stock SRT-4's run with STi's from a roll, and with exhaust and MBC put distance on them.

#35 ·
The Cobalt SS really isn't that fast, even with the supercharger. It falls far behind other cars like the WRX, RSX-S, and SRT-4. In a not too recent comparison in Car and Driver the only thing the Cobalt managed to edge out was the Ion Redline (however, due to turbo lag and Honda's hand in C&D's pocket, the RSX Type S beat the WRX, though it was the slowest to 60, through the quarter mile, and around the autocross track).

#36 ·
NHblackSTichick said:
srt will walk on wrx. and the new evo9 will walk allll over stock STI's.

i raced one last week. i have 3 inch turbo back, FMIC, perrin short ram, clutch, and protuned. from a 10 mph roll to 130 i put only 1-2 cars on his BONE stock evo 9 MR

those cars boost 20 + psi stock
I certainly wouldn't say walk all over the STI. In magazine comparisons, the MR and STI have traded wins, with Motor Trend citing the the STI's being more fun, and at the very least, the difference between the STI and MR is in tenths of seconds. Also, not to forget, an Evo MR is several thousand dollars more than the STI, and if you were to funnel that money into a new turbocharger, you'd walk all over the STI.

Around a track, the biggest issue is that the STI's suspension is far closer to that of a rally car than the Evo's is, which means the STI will handle offroad situations and landings better than the Evo. Though I haven't driven the Evo yet (you'd be surprised at how stingy they are about test drives compared to Subaru dealers) I am in the business of writing about cars, so I do keep my ear to the ground.

These cars are very evenly matched, though for straight out performance (and now looks, too, I think) the Evolution has just edged it out, but at a higher cost. Other than that, the STI has plenty of potential (which you, of course, already know), a lower price, and a more liveable interior.

I'm sorry, I believe I rambled a bit in this post. If you can find a point to it, that would be great.

#37 ·
Raza said:
I certainly wouldn't say walk all over the STI. In magazine comparisons, the MR and STI have traded wins, with Motor Trend citing the the STI's being more fun, and at the very least, the difference between the STI and MR is in tenths of seconds. Also, not to forget, an Evo MR is several thousand dollars more than the STI, and if you were to funnel that money into a new turbocharger, you'd walk all over the STI.

Around a track, the biggest issue is that the STI's suspension is far closer to that of a rally car than the Evo's is, which means the STI will handle offroad situations and landings better than the Evo. Though I haven't driven the Evo yet (you'd be surprised at how stingy they are about test drives compared to Subaru dealers) I am in the business of writing about cars, so I do keep my ear to the ground.

These cars are very evenly matched, though for straight out performance (and now looks, too, I think) the Evolution has just edged it out, but at a higher cost. Other than that, the STI has plenty of potential (which you, of course, already know), a lower price, and a more liveable interior.

I'm sorry, I believe I rambled a bit in this post. If you can find a point to it, that would be great.
The regular IX costs just as much as an STi and is far more underrated than it. They have been shown to make 260-270whp on Dynojets...I have yet to see stock STi's make that much which brings me to my next point. Stock IX's have shown to trap 105-107mph which clearly indicates the increased power over the VIII's and the power they have shown to put down on dyno's. Again, I have yet to see stock STi's trap that much in the 1/4 mile, in which they range anywhere from 99-103mph. Thats a significant difference if you ask me.

#39 ·
06-wrx said:
A guy that I go to school with has the mazdaspeed 6. I am pretty sure it is AWD turbo. I wonder how much power it's putting down. I am going to go take a look on the website.
The Mazdaspeed 6 is indeed a turbo 4 cylinder with a front biased AWD system. It has 274bhp.

#40 ·
DTR rex said:
2006' wrx or not, the SRT-4 will walk a wrx from a roll. I have seen stock SRT-4's run with STi's from a roll, and with exhaust and MBC put distance on them.

Sorry but i must say your nuts... lol. Cause i have a 2005 Stage 2 WRX and i kill my buddy who has an SRT-4 with Full exhaust and BOV and INTAKE and some other stuff as well, not sure about everything he has.. but from a start he cant touch me... not now, not ever. Even when i was stock and he was stock, he couldn't keep up.. no doubt he is fast, and he is still fast but i still beat him

#41 ·
Raza said:
The Cobalt SS really isn't that fast, even with the supercharger. It falls far behind other cars like the WRX, RSX-S, and SRT-4. In a not too recent comparison in Car and Driver the only thing the Cobalt managed to edge out was the Ion Redline (however, due to turbo lag and Honda's hand in C&D's pocket, the RSX Type S beat the WRX, though it was the slowest to 60, through the quarter mile, and around the autocross track).

Im starting to hate the freakin cobalt ss .. i have had so many try to run me and i kill them then they say its cause im not stock or because of this,, or they had a bad start... they piss me off.. .lol.... I honestly think they are the next generation of mustang drivers.. that think they are all that cause of the name of there car but can't keep up with nothing... exspecially a suby... "you have to be crazy if you think you can win" lol.. remember that cobalt owners... nice car,, but no chance

#42 ·
Last weekend I raced a manual Cobalt SS (supercharged) he had an intake, headers, and exhaust while my car is completely stock (and an auto :unhappy: ) We did a complete stop on some highway in N.C. (near Elizabeth City) I didnt want to do a power launch so I kept mine in "D" we were neck and neck off the start then he started pulling on me and then he left me a good 2-3 cars behind. But the whole all I could hear was his supercharge whine and it made me feel itty bitty :sadwave:

#43 ·
Cybergeist said:
Last weekend I raced a manual Cobalt SS (supercharged) he had an intake, headers, and exhaust while my car is completely stock (and an auto :unhappy: ) We did a complete stop on some highway in N.C. (near Elizabeth City) I didnt want to do a power launch so I kept mine in "D" we were neck and neck off the start then he started pulling on me and then he left me a good 2-3 cars behind. But the whole all I could hear was his supercharge whine and it made me feel itty bitty :sadwave:

HAHA! Man, you gotta get that launch on him, that was the only chance you had at beating him. Oh well, props to you for admitting that, next time launch on him to give yourself a fair chance.

#44 ·
ShardAerithes said:
As far as I know the Viper is faster than the C6 Z06.QUOTE]

Not true....Most comparo's I've seen put the ZO6 quicker than the Viper and neck and neck with the Ford GT.

ANYWAY.....THE ONLY way to tell between the SS and SS Supercharged is the "Supercharged" that is below the SS badges on the sides and rear.

EX

SS
Supercharged

or just plain old SS

#45 ·
The SS supercharged has bigger rims and a bigger wing too. Check out chevy's website.

Either way, the one I raced did say SS Supercharged on it, at least I think so. I am gonna keep my eyes peeled for it around where I work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.