Question about sti's trannys
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

This is a discussion on Question about sti's trannys within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok so I am on break at work and I start talking to this guy who says "yeah my buddy ...

  1. #1
    Registered User TheReaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    511

    Question about sti's trannys

    Ok so I am on break at work and I start talking to this guy who says "yeah my buddy just traded his wrx in for an evo" to which I said "did he not have enough to go for the sti or did he just prefer the evo over the sti?" and he says "nah, he wanted the evo because the transmission can last unlike the sti's" and I'm like "ummmmmm do you mean the wrx's?" and he says "no no no no no, I'm talking about the sti's 6spd. It is weak and breaks a lot even if the car is stock". So by now I am like grrrrrrrr so I say "there is no way the sti's 6spd breaks A LOT or even at all with the car being totally stock" and he insists that the sti 6 spd is weak and the suspension is weak as well so I'm just like whatever. So I wanted to know if the sti 6spd is weak because from what I've read and seen, they are pretty darn strong and I really haven't heard of one breaking. I mean maybe a car pushing like 400whp+ on a daily driver but man I don't know.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User ScoobVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReaper
    I really haven't heard of one breaking.

    The only one Ive heard of failing due to power output was from a 700hp+ STi


    How many aftermarket gearsets are available for the Evo, and how many are there for the STi ? <-That alone shows which is the weaker of the two
    - Local Riceist

  4. #3
    Registered User rex=my_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,014
    That guy had no idea what he was talking about>
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    elk grove ca
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReaper
    Ok so I am on break at work and I start talking to this guy who says "yeah my buddy just traded his wrx in for an evo" to which I said "did he not have enough to go for the sti or did he just prefer the evo over the sti?" and he says "nah, he wanted the evo because the transmission can last unlike the sti's" and I'm like "ummmmmm do you mean the wrx's?" and he says "no no no no no, I'm talking about the sti's 6spd. It is weak and breaks a lot even if the car is stock". So by now I am like grrrrrrrr so I say "there is no way the sti's 6spd breaks A LOT or even at all with the car being totally stock" and he insists that the sti 6 spd is weak and the suspension is weak as well so I'm just like whatever. So I wanted to know if the sti 6spd is weak because from what I've read and seen, they are pretty darn strong and I really haven't heard of one breaking. I mean maybe a car pushing like 400whp+ on a daily driver but man I don't know.
    ok now were the words coming out of his mouth? or is a$$?
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

  6. #5
    Registered User rex=my_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    ok now were the words coming out of his mouth? or is a$$?
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

  7. #6
    Registered User TheReaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    511
    Yeah, I knew he was full of it but we were at work so I didn't want to make a big thing of it and get fired. I really was pissed the whole day because he was basically calling me dumb the whole day but I couldn't do anything about it cause he was just not listening because he believed everything that was coming out of his mouth. I even told him I don't even like hondas/acuras but I like the performance of the nsx and the performance/luxury of the 3.2 TL to show him that I'm not biased and he just said "How can you not be biased when you like subarus?" I was like "I'm not biased. I may not like the car but I will respect and admit what it can do." He and 3 others were just ragging on me the whole day about how much better evo's were than sti's and how much hondas were better than subaru as well. Now I don't like hondas but what I should actually be mad at are those guys that just make honda look bad by putting a kragens muffler on the car, some euro lights, maybe even some wind shield wiper lights, and a wing, then they think they are the fastest thing in the world and try to race you in rush hour traffic.....

    P.S. I own a mitsubishi so by him calling me biased against mitsubishi's is ridiculous. OMG HAHAHAHAHA and a week ago I saw 2 cars raised, yep that's right RAISED. The reason they were raised was because one had 20" rims on and the other had 22" 's on it!!!!!!!!! and they were both beat up and old cars.
    Last edited by TheReaper; 01-21-2006 at 08:16 PM.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    elk grove ca
    Posts
    925
    tell him and his friends to pull their heads out of their asses and do their HW, they are the ones who are biased, they will be humbled when they find out the truth.. then again, they sound EXACTLY like typical ricers
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

  9. #8
    Registered User StreetSlider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    905
    You should pee in an icetray. Freeze it. Bring them to work in a cooler. Tell him he was right the whole time. Ask if you can buy him lunch. Go pick it for him. Pee cubes in his drink. Problem solved.

  10. #9
    Registered User amukaoen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Posts
    1,429
    the STi tranny is the closest thing ive seen to bulletproof for an AWD car..

    id get one if I had 3K~4K to spend.
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

  11. #10
    Registered User TheReaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    You should pee in an icetray. Freeze it. Bring them to work in a cooler. Tell him he was right the whole time. Ask if you can buy him lunch. Go pick it for him. Pee cubes in his drink. Problem solved.
    HAHAHAHA maybe. just mayyybeeeee hahahaha .
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

  12. #11
    Registered User anthonywrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Elk Grove, IL
    Posts
    726
    i think you can prove your point to this guy:

    have him go onto this site...have him search for "OMGZZ i blew my 5 speed", read the 10000 pages. no offense, it happens

    then have him search for 6 speed blow ups (besides the defect synco on some 4th gears)
    Quote Originally Posted by psb02wrx
    while you carpe diem, tell her to carpe deez nuts.
    Fun In the Snow
    STi in the making...

  13. #12
    Boba Fett BrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Way up high.
    Posts
    17,938
    Yeah, he was talking out of his crapper.

    I have only ever seen one failed 6MT and one that had soem problems because it had the life driven out of it which caused it to have to be rebuilt.

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    50
    STi 6spd can handle 650-700whp...that guy def doesnt know what he is talkin about.

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by amukaoen
    the STi tranny is the closest thing ive seen to bulletproof for an AWD car..

    id get one if I had 3K~4K to spend.

    hehe

    my 6spd swap cost me under $2500 after selling my perfectly working 5spd

    oh and, imo, transmission is the only thing that the STI has that is truely better than what the Evo has to offer.
    Anthony

  16. #15
    Registered User amukaoen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Antyoo
    hehe

    my 6spd swap cost me under $2500 after selling my perfectly working 5spd

    oh and, imo, transmission is the only thing that the STI has that is truely better than what the Evo has to offer.
    Damn, thats a good friggin deal... I would definatly get it done if it was only 2,500$ im guessing you did all the labor yourself and found all the parts used for really cheap.

    I think the STi has a nicer interior then the EVO does, although Leather recaros are pretty amazing.. I also perfer BBS to eneki rims and DCCD vs no DCCD...and some more low-end torque.

    but other then that the EVO pretty much has it all.
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •