Neighbor Wants To Run - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Neighbor Wants To Run within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; on the street the GTO would have problems, (traction) if you got to the track and he is running slicks, ...

on the street the GTO would have problems, (traction) if you got to the track and he is running slicks, it would be a close race.

He would probaly trap higher than you

GTO= probaly 4000 lbs
    2000 Z28 MTI clear lid, K&N Filter, Larger Blure MAF ends, SLP Smooth bellows, Camaro SS catback with cut out, Tubular rear lower control arms, 13.3@106 and 316 RWHP

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

oooooh a ressurection... 3 1/2 months old..

did anything ever come of this neighborhood challenge?
    Dave
    01 RS

wow i read the whole thread...and was expecting a video.
    06 VF39'd WRX 270awhp 295wtq @15psi
    Should I OpenSource and ditch the AP?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #006

Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD
    If you set a turbo (especially a GT35R) to 30PSI, at 0 Elevation you will get 30PSI, at 6000 Feet you will get 30PSI.

actually 30PSI at sea level is really 44.7 PSI. if you add the atmospheric pressure 14.7 psi

at 6000 ft the atmospheric pressure is i believe about 12 PSI so 30 PSI on the boost guage plus 12 psi means 42 psi.

your makeing less power. BUT(if your turbo can handle it) you can turn it up 2.7 PSI to 32.7 psi and get all that power back.

i thought turbo cars hold their power better at altitude because they can keep the wastegate closed longer till they reach the pressure. yea they reach the same pressure but the air density makes it take longer right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans
    actually 30PSI at sea level is really 44.7 PSI. if you add the atmospheric pressure 14.7 psi

at 6000 ft the atmospheric pressure is i believe about 12 PSI so 30 PSI on the boost guage plus 12 psi means 42 psi.

your makeing less power. BUT(if your turbo can handle it) you can turn it up 2.7 PSI to 32.7 psi and get all that power back.
    I think clarification is needed between you units of measurement. 30 PSI at sea level = 44.7 PSIA.....lbs/sq in. ABSOLUTE.

A turbo that boosts 30 psi at sea level, will boost the same 30 psi at altitude. It will also boost the same 44.7 psia at altitidue that it did at sea level. In both cases, this is assuming the turbo wasn't maxed out pushing the 30 psi at sea level.

The issue with a boosted car at altitude is that it has to work that much harder to achieve the same levels of boost (it has less inlet pressure due to higher altitude/lower atmoshperic pressure), thus lowering it's efficiency----it has to spin faster to achieve the same boost level and stands the potential of exceeding it's maximum effiiciency range.

On the opposite side of the coin, turbo's tuned at altitude have been known to overboost once they are run at sea level. Many EM systems today though are able to compensate for this change in altitude, but it is a known fact that you car will run best at the altitude it was tuned in.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

what about buying an Sti in CO but driving back to CA? or vice versa? any worries with a Cobb AP on board?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345