Just had my first run with my C5! Vs modded STi! - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Just had my first run with my C5! Vs modded STi! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by MagikMan man the m5 is a serious performance downgrade from the vette... however the freaking pimpness is ...

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikMan
    man the m5 is a serious performance downgrade from the vette... however the freaking pimpness is like 10 times better. But the m5 is a luxury car with sport car like characteristics. Just can't quite handle AS good, and won't be AS good at the track. We had a guy at our track in an m5 only running 8.8's in the 1/8th, however that's still pretty fast.... just when all I had was an intake I was running 8.3's

I hate to say it, but you're smoking crack if you think the C5 is better than the M5.
    2003 SRT-4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StoplightWarrior
    I hate to say it, but you're smoking crack if you think the C5 is better than the M5.
    Only in performance.... The m5 has much more "pimp" appeal, but it's not as good of a sports car.... it's a better all around car.... but in terms of competitve driving no one would argue the superiority of the 'vette. Even at the track the m5 isn't put in the same class as the vette. I'm not knocking the m5 at all.... it's just not built for pure performance like a 'vette or STI.
    1999 Corvette; vararam cold air intake; ls6 intake manifold; cartek stage 2x heads; cartek stage 2x cam; ported ls6 oil pump; hardened pushrods; 1 7/8" headers with full 3" exhaust back; hardened output shaft; 3.90rear gears.... 420rwhp

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro; heated seats

Only in performance.... The m5 has much more "pimp" appeal, but it's not as good of a sports car.... it's a better all around car.... but in terms of competitve driving no one would argue the superiority of the 'vette. Even at the track the m5 isn't put in the same class as the vette. I'm not knocking the m5 at all.... it's just not built for pure performance like a 'vette or STI.

For the cost of an M5 one could get a new 505hp Z06. The new Z06 will easily beat a new M5 in every performance catagory.

The M5 has it all, performance, speed, comfort, luxury, etc. It is the ultimate high performance luxury car, but by no means can it keep up with a new Z06 around a race track or at the drag strip.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    For the cost of an M5 one could get a new 505hp Z06. The new Z06 will easily beat a new M5 in every performance catagory.

The M5 has it all, performance, speed, comfort, luxury, etc. It is the ultimate high performance luxury car, but by no means can it keep up with a new Z06 around a race track or at the drag strip.

its apples to oranges here, guys...

You don't buy a vette to carry people around in comfort and you don't buy an M5 to take to the 1/4 strip.

Still, the M5 will almost do what the corvette does best, but the vette can't even come close to matching the m5 in its strong suits. That's the difference.
    2003 SRT-4

Still, the M5 will almost do what the corvette does best, but the vette can't even come close to matching the m5 in its strong suits. That's the difference.
    Exactly!

The vette is not that far ahead of the M5 in terms of performance AT ALL. In fact, the M5 is just as fast, both 1/4mile wise, and trapspeed wise and the M5 has better braking distance. The only place the C5 stays ahead would be on a track and even then, I would not be suprised to see a well driven M5 beat a C5 on a track. Therefore the only place the C5 has a significant advantage is modability.

Much like you said, what the C5 is built for, the M5 can do basically just as well.... What the M5 is built for, the C5 could never do
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I don't know, I've ripped apart every single one by a considerable difference that I've seen at the track. I'm only talking about what I've seen, not the books, or anything else. But they've been inferior at both the drag strip and road course, by a lot!
    1999 Corvette; vararam cold air intake; ls6 intake manifold; cartek stage 2x heads; cartek stage 2x cam; ported ls6 oil pump; hardened pushrods; 1 7/8" headers with full 3" exhaust back; hardened output shaft; 3.90rear gears.... 420rwhp

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro; heated seats

I don't know, I've ripped apart every single one by a considerable difference that I've seen at the track. I'm only talking about what I've seen, not the books, or anything else. But they've been inferior at both the drag strip and road course, by a lot!
    Look this is def. an apples and oranges debate, but a stock C5 and stock M5 (E39) are very closely matched in performance... Regardless of what you might think.

After doing some research and looking at several different sites here is what I taken away on average:

1/4mile - Both very similar. Most likely seen times are in the 13.2-13.4 range with a few great drivers getting both cars into high 12's completely stock. But I saw more 13.1-13.3's for the M5 than I did with the C5. There were many C5 times with 13.4/13.5's where as the M5 had none.

Trap speed - Both very similar. Most trap speeds seen are in the area of 107/108mph but nearly every single place I checked had the M5 always slightly ahead on trapspeeds by about 1mph or so.

Braking - Both very similar. From what I read and gathered, most places had each one braking right around the 114-116ft area from 60mph.

Road holding skidpad - Both very similar. The Vette has wider tires and runs on high performance summer tires, and yet still runs dead even with the M5 on the skidpad with both of them getting in the .90-.92 region from several sources.

Slalom - Both very similar, although the vette has a slight advantage here. It tends to be 1mph or 2 ahead of the M5, probably because it weighs about 600lbs less... but either way, the M5 is right behind it.

These are averages taken from like 5 different sources on the internet. Call me and internet or mag racer if you want, but these numbers are the best we have to go off of, and according to these numbers, an M5 or C5 are pretty darn close in both power and handling with the vette barely ahead in handling, the M5 barely ahead in power.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

haha e55 amg is my dream car
    twas my dream car too, until i went to visit my gparents in florida. Their neighbor had an
    S55amg. Gorgeous car. Reminded me of the E55 but more refined.
    Cobb Stage 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.