'02 Wagon Vs. '05 GTO
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '02 Wagon Vs. '05 GTO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last Saturday on 78-w into NJ I raced an '05 GTO from a roll of 75 to about 130mph. When ...

'02 Wagon Vs. '05 GTO

Last Saturday on 78-w into NJ I raced an '05 GTO from a roll of 75 to about 130mph. When I saw him coming up I knew I was going to lose but my gf wanted to see how bad so I went for it. He was so cocky and was waving as he cruised by me. I went into 3rd and then 4th quickly and started to reel him in slowly. As I started to pass him I could tell he was even more pissed as I saw him downshift. But it was too late, I had the momentum to hold him off and get in front of him. I'm thinking the only reason I won was that he left it in 5th gear. Great race for the Wagon, but what a jerk. Afterwards I went to give him the thumbs up but he wanted no part of it and laid back for the perfect time to do the flyby.

FYI - I'm running a Cobb Stage 2.5

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

thats a tough win.He could have stayed in 6th or left traction control on or was an automatic.If he did keep it in 6th or keep TC then its his fault.Nice win.
    2004 GTO-black on black-M6

mods-K&N Aircharger / SLP mass airflow sensor / Nitto 555 DR's /Stainless Works LT headers /Gravana ram air hood / NGK-TR55 plugs/Magnecor 8.5 wires/SLP Rear Sway Bar/SLP Loudmouth/Spec Stage 2 Clutch/GMM RipShift

333 RWHP / 351RWTQ

I've gotten into a race I "knew" I would lose too. Against an S2000 with my wife's 96 Mustang GT. I figured I was going down. I got a jump and kept about 1/2 carlength from 40 about 90 where I let off. Either Hondas are measured with very small horses or he couldn't drive. He kept his foot in it until he was real tiny and put on his flashers. Funny how a 215 hp car that weighs 3460 is even with a 240 hp car that weighs 400 pounds less, huh?

I reeled another one in on Deals Gap with my EX500. We were about even in the turns, but he was getting wasted on the exits and straights. He was better on the brakes, but it didn't help enough. An EX500 is a 20 year old design bike that makes about 48-51 whp and has a wet weight of 430 pounds. I mounted Michelin Pilot Activ sport touring tires, everything else was 100% stock. Like all this talk... but on a TWISTY road... blah blah blah.... they get pounded there too. He was squealing his tires through the turns.

I am not trying to hijack, but some things are way overrated. Perhaps the GTO has 400 dog power too. I hope he was just in the wrong gear...

Uhm the ls2 engine is no way overrated it will take an sti in the quarter. However it could have been the 04 version with 350 instead of the 400, and his driving sucked.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

It was definitely an '05, had the scoops and such at least. The guy underestimated the WRX Wagon to say the least. The ricer fly by was the best though, my car shook in the wake as he past me. By no means should I have beat him at those speeds, but it was priceless to see his expression... and with his wife/gf in the car, no way will he be able to talk smack about his GTO, his wife should always mention the wagon that beat him.

Good kill on the S2000, I've played with one on the GSP, and we never got a chance to open them up, but out of a tollbooth I got a 'launch' right behind him and crept up on him to around 100mph, and he was more shocked then me, I think he had an exhaust and some gauges indictcating more mods, and gave props knowing I shouldn't have been hanging with him if I was stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Henryk
    It was definitely an '05, had the scoops and such at least. The guy underestimated the WRX Wagon to say the least. The ricer fly by was the best though, my car shook in the wake as he past me. By no means should I have beat him at those speeds, but it was priceless to see his expression... and with his wife/gf in the car, no way will he be able to talk smack about his GTO, his wife should always mention the wagon that beat him.
    Good kill
    I suspect you caught him off guard.

Whenever you race a GTO look for the 6.0 badge on the back. Most 04 GTOs have the 05 hoods and many also have the dual exhaust setup. So look for the 6.0 badge to be sure it was an 05.

But either way an 04 should still have walked you at those speeds if he was in the right gear. You mentioned he tried to downshift during the race. That probably messed him up. You need to be in the right gear from the start.

Some girl posted a race over in LS1GTO.com against an EVO in her 05 GTO. She started from 5th gear at about 80mph or so? She said she was afraid to downshift into 4th at those speeds (definately not a racer)?
    If I was driving the car I would have been in 3rd from the start.

A GTO in 3rd gear at 80mph will make a GTO in 5th gear at 80mph look slow.

This shows how important a driver is in a race.

He definitely should have been in 3rd or 4th, I started pacing him in 3rd and reeled him in with 4th gear. I am almost positive that it had the 6.0 badge on the back. GTO's are nice, I'm hoping to line up with one at the track this summer.

From 75-130,thats a perfect race for an LS1 or 2.He must have done something wrong cuz i would think there is no way a wagon can pull on my LS1 from 75 to 130.Let alone an LS2.Theres no replacement for displacement.

mods-K&N Aircharger / SLP mass airflow sensor / Nitto 555 DR's /Stainless Works LT headers /Gravana ram air hood / NGK-TR55 plugs/Magnecor 8.5 wires/SLP Rear Sway Bar/SLP Loudmouth/Spec Stage 2 Clutch/GMM RipShift

333 RWHP / 351RWTQ

Boost is a replacement for displacement. Reread, he should have won, I think he left it in 5th.

He better have a lot of boost or a 150 shot.

333 RWHP / 351RWTQ

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.