M5 v MR - Could it be? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on M5 v MR - Could it be? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; that could be the difference of him putting it into 4th instead of 3rd at those speeds.... too short of ...

that could be the difference of him putting it into 4th instead of 3rd at those speeds.... too short of a race to really determine.... but nice kill
    1999 Corvette; vararam cold air intake; ls6 intake manifold; cartek stage 2x heads; cartek stage 2x cam; ported ls6 oil pump; hardened pushrods; 1 7/8" headers with full 3" exhaust back; hardened output shaft; 3.90rear gears.... 420rwhp

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro; heated seats

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maybe he started in seventh.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

That is only like 2.5 seconds isn't it? That is way too short to determine anything.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

Quote Originally Posted by McBain
    lol

+1 to that! the smg is a dreeeaaaam

dR

Quote Originally Posted by McBain
    That's funny.
    I raced some guy on the highway, and I was too lazy to drop to 3rd gear (70 mph). So I just left it in 5th gear. We ran dead even for a while and then I started pulling away hard. I bet he thought he had me for a second or two. But as soon as I got closer to my power band I started pulling away hard.

Maybe it was just a Honda Civic with a great body kit? Seriously anyone every run one of these?

since I am a mechanic for a BMW dealer, I've driven one. and holy crap, they are fast. that guy must have had it in econo-mode. or don't know how to drive his car. I run into that way too often that customers complain about stupid problems about these cars, about how awful they shift, or don't shift right. when it all boils down to...they just don't understand how to properly drive a SMG car.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbilly1342
    since I am a mechanic for a BMW dealer, I've driven one. and holy crap, they are fast. that guy must have had it in econo-mode. or don't know how to drive his car. I run into that way too often that customers complain about stupid problems about these cars, about how awful they shift, or don't shift right. when it all boils down to...they just don't understand how to properly drive a SMG car.
    Finally, the info I have been looking for! How many different output modes are there for the engine? I am aware of econ and power but I believe there are more? Whatever it was it was faster than an M3, but I thought an M5 would be much faster. There is an interesting series of videos on the M5board with an M5 v a 911TT with wildy varying results based on the mode.

Quote Originally Posted by CannonBaller
    Finally, the info I have been looking for! How many different output modes are there for the engine? I am aware of econ and power but I believe there are more? Whatever it was it was faster than an M3, but I thought an M5 would be much faster. There is an interesting series of videos on the M5board with an M5 v a 911TT with wildy varying results based on the mode.
    Well when discussing modes, you are discussing a difference of 100hp. And that hp is not highly susceptible to drivetrain loss since BMW has always been good about underrating their cars. I am not sure what the 1/4mile times and trap speeds are for the economy mode, but in the "power" mode or "sport" mode they are good for lower 12's @ 114-116mph depending on track conditions and elevation and such. That is a good 1 full second if not a tad more than an M3 can put out, and the traps are about 8mph higher as well.
    I am not sure if the new M5 in economy mode would be similar to an M3, but you figure at 400hp is only making 67hp more than an E46 M3 and yet weighs about 350-400lbs more than an M3.

I dont know though. If the guy was in his economy mode, I could totally see you beating him with your bolt on Evo... But then again, who the hell would race in economy mode? Who knows man, there is a lot to consider. But while anything can happen on the street, I just cannot see a bolt on Evo pulling away from an M5 running at full potential (500hp, low 12's, 115mph traps). Also, maybe he didn't down shift?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by CannonBaller
    My stunt driver was cruising the local freeway when we spot a BMW M5. There was one clean pull from 75-100 that resulted with the MR a car length or two ahead. Then the M5 driver must have developed a bad neck cramp since he was unable to look over any more and immediately exited the freeway.

Could it be? The V10 M5 was trounced by a 4 banger? I am hoping he didn't have the car in power mode and was limited to 400 HP, but that should have resulted in a bus length debacle. Anyone have any experiences with the Bavarian King?

Stats for bench racers:

M5
    500 HP/383 TQ/4000LBS

MR
    390 HP/390 TQ/3200 LBS
    since when did the mr;s have 390 hp?

Quote Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
    since when did the mr;s have 390 hp?
    He has full exhaust, cam and EM.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I dont know though. If the guy was in his economy mode, I could totally see you beating him with your bolt on Evo... But then again, who the hell would race in economy mode? Who knows man, there is a lot to consider. But while anything can happen on the street, I just cannot see a bolt on Evo pulling away from an M5 running at full potential (500hp, low 12's, 115mph traps). Also, maybe he didn't down shift?
    You have captured my thoughts exactly. Who has one speak up, don't be shy!

My dad drives a 6 spd 01 540i and his car is a pretty good bit faster than my rex. He is thinking about getting an 01 or 02 M5 sometime in the future. But just some food for thought the new M5 is faster than the aston martin vanquish from 0-100 and some ferrari I forgot what kind exactly not the enzo. I read that in a car magazine not to long ago that did an article on the new M5.

The M5 is a monster, but it weighs a ton. With your setup, I'm sure you kept up with him.
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz
    The M5 is a monster, but it weighs a ton. With your setup, I'm sure you kept up with him.
    actually it weighs 2 tons to be exact

I think they made up for that with 500hp, low 12's, and 116mph traps.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast