stock Camaro SS vs. STi modded results?

This is a discussion on stock Camaro SS vs. STi modded results? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So my friend is getting a Camaro SS fairly soon and he has been talking all this smack about how ...

stock Camaro SS vs. STi modded results?

So my friend is getting a Camaro SS fairly soon and he has been talking all this smack about how he can finally whoop my ass . I have a stock STi, but am getting a catless turboback exhaust (no tune) fairly soon. I was wondering how the two cars would compare in a drag race? From a roll and dig? Thank you, I am just curious.
    -Patrick
    when the turbo spins the bull**** ends

My mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

???

My mods

It'll be very close, from a roll he should pull pretty substantial on you, from a dig..... depends how fast you guys get up to
    1999 Corvette; vararam cold air intake; ls6 intake manifold; cartek stage 2x heads; cartek stage 2x cam; ported ls6 oil pump; hardened pushrods; 1 7/8" headers with full 3" exhaust back; hardened output shaft; 3.90rear gears.... 420rwhp

2001 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro; heated seats

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, the LS1 is a force to be reckoned with, and also responds well to mods. (Assuming we're talking about an LS1 SS; the LT1 is an entirely different story)

Do you have an eighth-mile dragstrip nearby?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Depends on what year the SS is. 98 and up (I believe) are LS1s and they are pretty nice stock. It will probably take him some time to learn the car so you will probably have the advantage until he learns how to really drive it, or he just gets some nice mods. From a dig you will definately take him (as long as you can launch well) but from a roll, the higher the speed, the more he has the advantage. Good luck, those LS1's are pretty sick.
    Current Vehicle: 2006 Volvo S60 R Sonic Blue/Atacama
    SOLD:
    2006 Graphite Gray Evo IX
    2004 STi
    2003 SVT Cobra
    2003 SVT Lightning
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    my friend has a 5.0 too, they are slow, the only way to decently make them fast is to drop a v8 explorer engine in them.

I've owned 3 LS1's. 2 of them very heavily modified (big cam, headers, big stall, nitrous, etc) and one of them stock. My stock WRX is nowhere NEAR as fast as any of my LS1's. My friend has a 2000 Z28 with just exhaust and a lid and he destroyed my WRX by 5-6 car lengths when we raced.

Basically, stage2 will put you ahead of a stock LS1, and probably a lightly modified one. Hope this helps.

BTW, I absolutely love the LS1 cars. It's a great engine and is practically indestructible (within reason). I bought my WRX because I moved to Colorado and was getting tired of not having any traction with a high-horsepower RWD car. I love my WRX to death as well. IMHO, it's the funnest car I've driven. The manual tranny is great in these cars, and AWD is awesome

Oh, and the poster above me is correct. 93-97 were LT1's (you'll take those stock no problem. they can be fast with mods though) and 98-02 were LS1's.

well go on a road trip to where there some snow then ask him to race there form a stop, or the rain, awd>rwd
    05 STi....supercars....meet your kryptonite

Having owned an LS1 I have to say it has the advantage. There are so many variables though, condition of car, driver, etc. The only way to know is run each other at a drag strip. The LS1's make great torque, have really good gearing in transmission, as well as areodynamics.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

A few weeks ago i raced an 00 ss ls1 when i was stock. I actually had him by a car length from 35-80. Granted after 80 he would have most likely started pulling on me.
    03 PSM WRX(Herbie)- Deceased
    05 PSM STI(Angus)- New numbers coming soon!

Pics and Mods

Ok thanks, I will post the outcome in several weeks when he gets the car

My mods

My buddy has a LS1 Z28 and I drove it when it was stock and I thought, "meh". Felt as fast as my stage 2 WRX (wrong, I know).

He went to Ligenfelter and got one of their packages that bumped him from 280 whp to 380 whp. Drives like a stock car, like a LS2 Z06. I drove it again... better, but "meh." My version 7 swapped WRX felt faster (with the vf30).

Then he pointed out how fast the speedo was rising. It is HUGELY faster than my car but it does it with no event at all. I tell you this because he may give you a ride before you run, and you may be tempted to open your big mouth... don't.
    - Capt Crunch