06 WRX vs 05 RX8 Too Close???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 WRX vs 05 RX8 Too Close??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So last night, i decided to race my buddies RX8....my car is completely stock (14xx miles), and the RX8 has ...

06 WRX vs 05 RX8 Too Close???

So last night, i decided to race my buddies RX8....my car is completely stock (14xx miles), and the RX8 has a catback and short ram intake.

1. Our first run was from about 50 to 100 (there was a cop) around a slight bend, and neither one of us seemed to pull on eachother at all.
    2. Second run was basically a 0 to 60 from a dig, and i came ahead by a really small amount.

So my question is, does this seem normal?? I expected to pull on him a lot more! Do you think his exhaust and intake really made that big of a difference? Any input welcome
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the WRX should be faster, but not dramatically so. Apparently, it's hard to nail good launches in the Mazda - and the thing has no torque, so passengers would definitely hurt the RX-8's chances, too. I think stock vs. stock they would accelerate to 100mph similarly, with the WRX having a small advantage. The RX-8 is a blast to drive, but I can see why you need to grenade the clutch at high RPM to get it out of the hole. The '06 Rex is a breeze to drive fast, on the other hand.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    I think the WRX should be faster, but not dramatically so. Apparently, it's hard to nail good launches in the Mazda - and the thing has no torque, so passengers would definitely hurt the RX-8's chances, too. I think stock vs. stock they would accelerate to 100mph similarly, with the WRX having a small advantage. The RX-8 is a blast to drive, but I can see why you need to grenade the clutch at high RPM to get it out of the hole. The '06 Rex is a breeze to drive fast, on the other hand.
    Agreed. As you were stock, it'll be a close race. Most RX-8's with good driver's are mid to upper 14 sec cars stock. Most WRXs are low to mid 14 sec cars stock.

14xx? Arent you still in your break-in stage?
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

you should beat him, ive raced an 05 RX8 when i got my 05 wrx a few months back when it was still bone stock. Needless to say i had 2 passengers and still beat him from a dead stop up to 60mph, i had about 1 car on him.

The intake and exhaust yeilded little to no power on the RX8 (as many members have discovered on the rx8 forum) To 100 it should be a drivers race.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

From a dead stop the WRX has the torque to get started quicker otherwise I think it would be pretty even.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

I raced an RX8 with my 05 wrx, at the time all i had was a lightweight pulley and a short throw shifter. From a 40 mph roll i would creep ever soo slighty on him up to about 80mph then my creep would stop and we would even out, we stopped around 100mph. Never raced from a dig.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx
    1. Our first run was from about 50 to 100 (there was a cop)
    Smart
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

haha well we didnt see the cop till we got around the corner, but lucky for us he was already in the process of writing some other dude a ticket
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

lol....

I'm that crazy RX-8 driver

On the first pull, which was about 40ish to just over a 100, the cars seemed to hug each other .... neither of us were pulling on each other.

From the dig to about 70 (top of second) nocs wrx had at the very most 1 foot on me.

My launch sucked.... as stated above you got to rev it up pretty high to get a good launch and even then you run the risk of just smoking the tires and going nowhere. I put down a good 20 feet of ruber which didn't help my take off any, thats for sure. That was at a 5k launch. Keep in mind that a 5k launch in a car revs to 9500 is different than a 5k launch in a subie.

I think many people assume the RX-8 slow because it doesnt offer the power surge like a turboed car. Rotary's are so smooth you don't feel the power. Don't get me wrong....a RX8 isn't a stop light rocket....far from it. But then again, neither is a stock WRX.

We switched cars to account for driver error and I believe that both cars are very close in terms of speed. However, both cars achive it very differently.

how are you liking the RX-8?
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    how are you liking the RX-8?
    All in all, I like it.

It handles like nothing else i've ever driven. This past weekend noc and I installed some springs and sways. I honestly think it is on par with an evo's handling now. The rotary engine is very smooth and linear, however, as stated above, it does lack torque. This forces me to downshift more often. At 9k rpm in this car feels like 3k in piston engines, it doesn't give you that "the end is near feeling". I've had zero problems with the car in the 21,000 miles I've had it. Mazda seems to be on top of their stuff, they release new ecu flashes every few months.... each one gets a little better.

For a sports car, it rides very smooth even on rough roads. The interior is very nice for a mazda, however, I worry about the leather lasting. It is showing a little wear, I've never owned a car with leather so I don't know if thats normal for 21k miles. Everything else is still looking as good as new. The paint on the car is pretty good, I had a SUV back into my rear quater panel and not scratch it at all. Dent wizard made the huge dent disappear.

The back seats are pretty usable for a 2 door car. It can seat 4 average sized people with no problems as long as you don't take a road trip. You really notice the lack of torque with 4 people and a full tank of gas...

If you weren't aware, rotaries comsume oil by nature. I have to add 1 quart between oil changes (every 2k miles).

The brakes in the car are nothing short of amazing. 60 - 0 in about 108 feet I believe. (goes to show you don't need flashy calipers to stop fast )

The only real downside is the poor gas milage and lack of mods. 15.9 gallon tank yeilds about 200-250 miles of mixed driving. I am an agressive driver and I hear that other owners have pull 250-300 avg. And even that is pretty poor.

Mazda left little room for improvment in terms of mods. Full intake and exhaust (like I have) produces at most 10hp. ECU hacks seem to be the only worthwhile mod, depending on tuning, they can produce 20-50 hp.

Here is a picture for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG.jpg   IMG1.jpg  
    Last edited by rasp; 12-29-2005 at 09:50 AM.

Hey I bet if your calipers were painted fire engine red your car would shave 10 ft off that distance .

I was happy when Mazda came out with the rx8 since I was always a fan of the rx7 and was a little sad to see a one of a kind go away. Sounds like they made it a real winner too. Deffinitely on the list of cars I would like to own someday.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

I love the rx8 (almost got one actually).

Yours looks really nice with the axis hiro's.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.