Mazdaspeed 6 > WRX - Page 3
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Mazdaspeed 6 > WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by bdoug True, I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. The RS being the ...

Quote Originally Posted by bdoug
    True, I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. The RS being the stripped down racer and the MS 6 being the fun daily driver.

However, the MS 6 is a pig at 3600 lbs.

actually that's right in the ballpark for a midsize sedan.

the WRX and STi, classified as compact cars, are the pigs in the bunch. most cars in their class can be up to 500lbs lighter.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Both the MS6 and WRX have relatively similar power to weight ratios, no matter how you classify each car. So I guess weight isn't that big of an issue. (Fatties)
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I Support ClubWRX
    You keep going on as if pricing is truly similar.
    The truth is that the "average WRX" will be substantially cheaper than the "average Mazdaspeed 6". "Similarly equipped" becomes kind of meaningless when you're comparing two very different sedans. One is a more upscale and luxurious car, and the other is a lighter, more enthusiast-centered vehicle. Most people don't buy a WRX looking for interior accoutrements, high quality paint, or high-tech gizmos.

Again, you can loosely say that they're both 4-door, AWD turbo sedans, and try to attach some sort of meaning to numbers, but it just doesn't tell the story here.

At least, that's the way I see it.

I like the MS6. Looks like a winner, to me. Honestly though, I'd probably choose a different car for that amount of money. Can't REALLY say 'til I'd driven one, though.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

i like mazdas, especially new 6 and 3 and i'm sure that MS6 will be a blast but for nearly STi price??? Sorry i don't buy it. I'm not in my 40s yet
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

I don't hate anyone, but good edit on your post. I got your original response e-mailed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    don't hate me 'cause i'm beautiful.

first of all, everyone calm down, i mentioned in the opening thread that the LGT was compared directly to the MSP 6...the LGT won because it was a better daily driver, which i think was fair given the demographic.

a similarly equipped WRX will also run you the same amount of dough as a MSP 6. if you still don't believe the price comparison, keep in mind that a LGT will easily go north of $30K if you want some luxury thrown in, which makes the MSP 6 a bargain and more into WRX Limited territory.

obviously, numbrers only explain so much, but the Miata, RX-8, RX-7, and MX-3 are all terrific cars to drive, and i'm sure the 6 is no different.

IMHO, the only thing the 6 gives up to the WRX is the boxer rumble and superior Suby AWD.

first of all, everyone calm down, i mentioned in the opening thread that the LGT was compared directly to the MSP 6
    So thats why the thread is titled Mazdaspeed 6 > WRX?
    I think if I were older I might have a a MS6, but it just looks a little too similar to a Acura TSX. I'll stick with Subaru's.
    2005 CGM STi

first of all, everyone calm down, i mentioned in the opening thread that the LGT was compared directly to the MSP 6
    So thats why the thread is titled Mazdaspeed 6 > WRX?
    I think if I were older I might have a a MS6, but it just looks a little too similar to a Acura TSX. I'll stick with Subaru's.
    2005 CGM STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac
    i like mazdas, especially new 6 and 3 and i'm sure that MS6 will be a blast but for nearly STi price??? Sorry i don't buy it. I'm not in my 40s yet
    I'm close, and I still don't want it.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    This would explain your obsession with powerless fwd cars.
    Ouch.

Okay end of discussion. AWD > FWD.
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

Can you post a link to the comparision please?

I could only find this from Motor Trend:

The Mazdaspeed 6 is the true hardcore performance car of the bunch, but despite its greater horsepower and the extra grip generated by its all-wheel drive, this hot-rod doesn't impress the way its lesser siblings do against their peers. The Mazdaspeed 6 is neither as smooth as the Subaru Legacy GT, nor as fun as a Mitsubishi Evo.
    Though the horsepower rating and AWD capability may suggest otherwise, don't let the big power rating fool you. The new Speed6 isn't positioned to compete with the rally-based sedans from Mitsubishi and Subaru. It's more of an all-weather high-performance touring sedan in the tradition of the BMW 330xi, Audi A4 quattro, and Subaru Legacy GT
    This was a cool story.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0506_grip/
    Last edited by dodgerblue; 12-28-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    I don't hate anyone, but good edit on your post. I got your original response e-mailed to me.

i decided to be nice, so should you next time.

i decided to be nice, so should you next time.

OK, I'll remember to pass out a reacharound next time.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    You keep going on as if pricing is truly similar.
    The truth is that the "average WRX" will be substantially cheaper than the "average Mazdaspeed 6". "Similarly equipped" becomes kind of meaningless when you're comparing two very different sedans. One is a more upscale and luxurious car, and the other is a lighter, more enthusiast-centered vehicle. Most people don't buy a WRX looking for interior accoutrements, high quality paint, or high-tech gizmos.

Again, you can loosely say that they're both 4-door, AWD turbo sedans, and try to attach some sort of meaning to numbers, but it just doesn't tell the story here.

At least, that's the way I see it.

I like the MS6. Looks like a winner, to me. Honestly though, I'd probably choose a different car for that amount of money. Can't REALLY say 'til I'd driven one, though.
    Ray, you're a bugeyed owner of yore, and so was i. i see where you're coming from because when we bought them, sunroofs, leather, heated mirrors/seats, and lazy-boy seats weren't even offered. however, people are buying WRX's with those amenities these days, and can easily pay $26K OTD.

you could pay $5 - $6K more for an STi for outstanding performance, a ridiculous wing, and much less daily driveability, and none of the amenities you originally wanted.

or, you could pay $2 - $3K more for the 6, with all the amenities, plus a much better 6 speed, same amount of daily driveability, more room, better performance, and more mature styling that won't attract cops.

i guess after thinking laying it out in front of you guys, the msp 6 is just bridging the gap b/w the WRX and STi. i'd still hit it over a WRX and it's 50/50 with the STi.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerblue
    Can you post a link to the comparision please?

I could only find this from Motor Trend:

This was a cool story.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0506_grip/

it's in the latest issue of motor trend, has the MSP 6 vs. the spec.B LGT.....LGT wins out not on performance, but because it's less of a one trick pony, and i agree with the verdict.

I read the first few posts and then just gave up on the thread because I didn't want to read responses from a bunch of children crying about what car is faster, and what car sounds better, etc...

Basically the MS6 vs WRX vs LGT debate is one purely based off of opinion. It really depends on what you want. Some might want something more sporty and really need to save that $4k-$5k and the wrx is the best choice, others would choose the LGT over the MS6 for the solid quality build and full-time AWD, others might take the MS6 over the wrx because of interior refinements and quality, and might take it over the LGT because the handling and technology advances.

I have not driven an MS6 so I cannot say how I truly feel about it, but regardless of its heavy body, you cannot help but be thoroughly interested in a car that has a turbo 4 cylinder, makes instant torque, awd, has attributes of the legendary mazda handling, and an interior that feels DAMN good for a car that runs just under $30k.
    Would I take one over an LGT? Probably, but mainly because of the fun factor... However, given the $30k to spend I would probably find myself in an Evo over anything.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.