MY '94 Camaro Vs. MY '05 STi
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

This is a discussion on MY '94 Camaro Vs. MY '05 STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; About a month ago I decided I wanted to see which was faster; my Camaro or my STi, so I ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    131

    MY '94 Camaro Vs. MY '05 STi

    About a month ago I decided I wanted to see which was faster; my Camaro or my STi, so I got my wife to drive my Camaro, while I drove the STi.

    I thought FOR SURE that the STi was going to thrash the Camaro, but it didn't happen. We started out on the highway, and I was in 3rd gear, and being one of the "power gears," I thought for sure that it was going to be the end of the Camaro. We both hit the gas, and took off. I shifted to 4th, but the Camaro wouldn't fade. All I saw was the front end of the Camaro next to me "lurch" as it made its way through its gears. We shut down at around 100 mph, and it was still side by side.

    So, who won? Nobody. I was pretty happy with those results, because I love both of my cars equally, and would hate to see one beat the other one.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User John M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Milledgeville, GA
    Posts
    749
    If they're both stock, I'm not surprised. Your LT1 may a bit healthier than most since the STi's 103+ traps should mean it pulls ahead of the LT1's typical 99-101 but it's all a wash on the street.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by John M
    If they're both stock, I'm not surprised. Your LT1 may a bit healthier than most since the STi's 103+ traps should mean it pulls ahead of the LT1's typical 99-101 but it's all a wash on the street.
    STi mods:

    Cobb AP Stage 1
    K&N panel filter
    (approximately 9,000 miles at the time)

    Camaro mods:

    LT4 knock module
    2400rpm stall converter
    shift kit
    1LE intake elbow
    throttle body airfoil
    3" catback exhaust
    cold air intake
    swaybar bushings
    (approximately 169,000 miles at the time)

    Keep in mind that I compared OFF A ROLL. My reason for comparing off a roll wasn't to see who would be faster in the 1/4 mile, but to compare the power with "no advantages" given to either car.

    I have little doubt in my mind that the Camaro would win from a dig, however, with that 2400 rpm stall, it launches strong. The LT1 also makes very good power down low, while the STi makes most of its power in the mid-range.

    It was a rush, nonetheless. It's a real high watching your two babies slug it out nose to nose. And damn, that exhaust on that Camaro sounds good!

  5. #4
    Registered User bigwrxguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by '05 STi
    STi mods:

    Cobb AP Stage 1
    K&N panel filter
    (approximately 9,000 miles at the time)

    Camaro mods:

    LT4 knock module
    2400rpm stall converter
    shift kit
    1LE intake elbow
    throttle body airfoil
    3" catback exhaust
    cold air intake
    swaybar bushings
    (approximately 169,000 miles at the time)

    Keep in mind that I compared OFF A ROLL. My reason for comparing off a roll wasn't to see who would be faster in the 1/4 mile, but to compare the power with "no advantages" given to either car.

    I have little doubt in my mind that the Camaro would win from a dig, however, with that 2400 rpm stall, it launches strong. The LT1 also makes very good power down low, while the STi makes most of its power in the mid-range.

    It was a rush, nonetheless. It's a real high watching your two babies slug it out nose to nose. And damn, that exhaust on that Camaro sounds good!

    I doubt the Camaro would win from a dig at the strip let alone on the streets,

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    I doubt the Camaro would win from a dig at the strip let alone on the streets,
    It was side by side the entire way down the road. It was perfectly clear that the STi was not outpowering the Camaro.

  7. #6
    Registered User bigwrxguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by '05 STi
    It was side by side the entire way down the road. It was perfectly clear that the STi was not outpowering the Camaro.
    That maybe but from a dig I don't see a LT1 cutting a 1.7 60ft with those mods.

    If your LT1 ran anything better than a 13.5 I'd be surprised.

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    That maybe but from a dig I don't see a LT1 cutting a 1.7 60ft with those mods.

    If your LT1 ran anything better than a 13.5 I'd be surprised.
    As I stated in my previous post, I ran from a roll so there was no advantage going either way.

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by '05 STi
    As I stated in my previous post, I ran from a roll so there was no advantage going either way.
    You said the camaro would win from a dig, and now you say you're talking about a roll.

    Take them to the strip and race 'em. That camaro will go down in the 1/4.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    I'd love to have a tree house for adults in my backyard.

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalNuke
    You said the camaro would win from a dig, and now you say you're talking about a roll.

    Take them to the strip and race 'em. That camaro will go down in the 1/4.
    That was a type-o. What I meant was that the STi would win from the dig, but I don't think the STi would jump the Camaro by all that much, especially considering the 2400 rpm stall. A 2400 rpm stall in an F-body will do wonders.

    As for taking my STi to the drag strip, it'll never happen. I have no interest in beating the hell out of my $31,000 car by launching it at 5000 rpm just for the sake of seeing "what it'll do." I'll leave that up to someone else and read about it. I don't have $5,000 to be spending on a new drivetrain.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •