Subaru WRX Forum banner

05' Mustang GT vs. 05' STi

8K views 81 replies 25 participants last post by  Juice33 
#1 ·
Im a newb, and will soon be getting an STi within a week. I was previously looking into getting Mustang GT, but I was hoping it would have been a little faster. I was wondering from yalls perspective, how a Mustang GT would compare against an STi from a straight roll from 20mph - 140mph. Not saying at all that this will happen. I am just trying to get a rough estimate as to where the strongest powerbands come from each car. Thank you.
-John

#4 ·
Blofe said:
I test dr0ve the 05 GT the other day, stock it's wack ...STi would pwn the 05 GT, but 05 GT with pulley upgrade, intake , exhaust + Chip...it would be the other way around ;x
Actually, changing the exhaust really does nothing with these cars. It is mostly a sound thing... a catless X-pipe on the other hand...

The biggest instant bolt on HP increase, (besides a supercharger!) would be to add a CAI AND computer tune. The car is so sensitive to changes that EM is not just desired, it is required, (a CAI will get you a CEL without it). The computer tune will also get rid of that annoying throttle lag.

I didn't really notice any difference with the pulleys...

#5 ·
The new gts are still fast. I almost got one but all they had was convertable and i didnt fit in it so i got a sti.. But the new gts are fast. My brothers about to buy one and put a either kenne bell or whipple on it. 540 whp... haha Buy Buy Mr. Subie

#6 ·
If you really wanted the faster car, you should have gotten an 03-04 SVT Cobra. they will put both the 05 GT and STi to shame in a straight line. Especially from a roll.

#7 ·
Juice33 said:
If you really wanted the faster car, you should have gotten an 03-04 SVT Cobra. they will put both the 05 GT and STi to shame in a straight line. Especially from a roll.
No doubt. He wants an 03 cobra. Or a cobra r. But i dono how a cobra would hold up to a new mustand with a whipple

#10 ·
WrxRick said:
Im not a fan of cobras..they are fast dont get me wrong, damn fast. I just have never liked them enough to get one.
I love the cobra its just not real practical. Price wise. But would love a cobra r.

I woulnt wana race a new 05 gt beacouse there still fast. If i woulda waited maby a week or 2 more when they had a hard top in then i would be in a 05 mustang right now but my height wont allow for a convertible

#12 ·
Fox05 said:
No doubt. He wants an 03 cobra. Or a cobra r. But i dono how a cobra would hold up to a new mustand with a whipple
I think a basic bolt-on (pulley, intake, catback, tune) Cobra will hang just fine if not kill that whippled GT. I have the mods listed and put down 466/473 at the wheels with just $1500 in mods. I don't know how much the whipple will give the GT, but you can always slap a whipple onto a Cobra (a lot easier task than a GT) and you will have over 600 rwhp, with a safe tune. Bang for the Buck, the Cobra just cant be beat

As for the Cobra R, sweet car definately, but they are way too rare to be driving around daily. I would love to have one in the garage one day, or for track racing, that would be the shiza.

#13 ·
WrxRick said:
Im not a fan of cobras..they are fast dont get me wrong, damn fast. I just have never liked them enough to get one.
Drive one, you will change your mind.

#14 ·
Juice33 said:
I think a basic bolt-on (pulley, intake, catback, tune) Cobra will hang just fine if not kill that whippled GT. I have the mods listed and put down 466/473 at the wheels with just $1500 in mods. I don't know how much the whipple will give the GT, but you can always slap a whipple onto a Cobra (a lot easier task than a GT) and you will have over 600 rwhp, with a safe tune. Bang for the Buck, the Cobra just cant be beat

As for the Cobra R, sweet car definately, but they are way too rare to be driving around daily. I would love to have one in the garage one day, or for track racing, that would be the shiza.
Yea i think the sight was whipple or kenne bell. and stated like 540whp. Throw ona pully intake catbacks and a good tune and itll be set. Yea cobras are tha **** and i want one. But there expensive and im happy with my sti

#15 ·
YBNormal07 said:
FWIW, my Stage 2 Legacy easily pulled on a 05 GT from around a 60 MPH start. It wasn't even close.
I dont know much if anything at all about legacy and there speed. But the new gts are faster than the old ones

#16 ·
Fox05 said:
Yea i think the sight was whipple or kenne bell. and stated like 540whp. Throw ona pully intake catbacks and a good tune and itll be set. Yea cobras are tha **** and i want one. But there expensive and im happy with my sti
540? That is a lot higher than I thought. That is pretty sweet. The Cobras really aren't that much more expensive than STis. I sold my STi with 24k on it for $23,500 and bought my Cobra with 115 miles on it for 26,600 from a dealership. Plus it is winter time and the with the GT500 coming out the Cobras will come down even more.

#17 ·
Juice33 said:
540? That is a lot higher than I thought. That is pretty sweet. The Cobras really aren't that much more expensive than STis. I sold my STi with 24k on it for $23,500 and bought my Cobra with 115 miles on it for 26,600 from a dealership. Plus it is winter time and the with the GT500 coming out the Cobras will come down even more.
yea whipple at 8psi-522whp,10psi-595, 12psi 625whp

#18 ·
Fox05 said:
I dont know much if anything at all about legacy and there speed. But the new gts are faster than the old ones
I posted that info for the original poster, since the Legacy runs a 2.5 platform also, but with a smaller turbo and different gearing than the STi. In stage 2 form, the Legacy puts out about the same HP but more torque than a stock STi. Gearing will be a decider in a rolling run between a stock STi and stock 05 GT, imho.

#19 ·
Fox05 said:
The new gts are still fast. I almost got one but all they had was convertable and i didnt fit in it so i got a sti.. But the new gts are fast. My brothers about to buy one and put a either kenne bell or whipple on it. 540 whp... haha Buy Buy Mr. Subie

Well I still like the STI alot better..even if it gets passed by a stang. :)

#20 ·
Keep in mind that the MT has a 3:55 gear and the Auto has 3:31 gears. Both are 5 speeds. Of course, its no real problem to switch em to 4.10 or such...

Well I still like the STI alot better..even if it gets passed by a stang
Why not have both? :)

#21 ·
If I lived somewhere that I could drive it year round, I probably would have bought an 03-04 Cobra rather than a WRX.

I'm surprised at the numbers claimed for a Whipple GT. Really I am just surprised that the internals can handle that much power. 03-04 Cobras are all forged and can handle quite a bit of power, but I would think that the GT motor is just a grenade waiting to happen.

#22 ·
without a new bottom more than 500 whp is really pushing it... IMHO

but there really are no hard numbers right now for the 05-06s... the engine is just too new...

#23 ·
Herknav said:
without a new bottom more than 500 whp is really pushing it... IMHO

but there really are no hard numbers right now for the 05-06s... the engine is just too new...
as far as magazine guys say when they give specs its actually a tuned up truck motor. been around since 03? i believe. im not saying i know for a fact but its what i see out there alot

#24 ·
SubeStang said:
If I lived somewhere that I could drive it year round, I probably would have bought an 03-04 Cobra rather than a WRX.

I'm surprised at the numbers claimed for a Whipple GT. Really I am just surprised that the internals can handle that much power. 03-04 Cobras are all forged and can handle quite a bit of power, but I would think that the GT motor is just a grenade waiting to happen.
Do what I did, sell the subie, buy a Cobra, and then buy a cheap SUV for winter driving. I am paying less money for the car and insurance on both vehicles than I was for the STi alone.

#25 ·
Juice33 said:
Do what I did, sell the subie, buy a Cobra, and then buy a cheap SUV for winter driving. I am paying less money for the car and insurance on both vehicles than I was for the STi alone.

I thought about that. But I want to keep my 91 Mustang. Its so hard to find a nice one nowadays that I don't want to lose it to some tool who will mess it all up. Plus I love the car.

2 toy cars is a hard thing to sell to my fiance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.